Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 87

Thread: All the Pros and Cons of Nikon

  1. #21
    Senior Member Cheesecake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    I live in a haunted house!!!!!
    Posts
    16,385

    Default Re: All the Pros and Cons of Nikon

    Quote Originally Posted by TMC
    now you are being sexist.
    alrite...

    Paul can be all he wants and change his D2X to a shocking pink as long as he produce his pro fotos.
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

  2. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    www.whltelightphotographer.com
    Posts
    1,834

    Default Re: All the Pros and Cons of Nikon

    Pro- it a nikon on my 4x5 camera.
    Last edited by singscott; 26th February 2006 at 12:57 AM.

  3. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    west side
    Posts
    255

    Default Re: All the Pros and Cons of Nikon

    uses sony ccd

  4. #24

    Default Re: All the Pros and Cons of Nikon

    Shall we please stick to the topic so that this can be used as a quick access to the info needed by new members? thanks.
    I'll take the advise of some seniors to let it run a few days. If a flamewar starts. I will close this thread immediately. Thanks.
    Last edited by Chris Lim; 26th February 2006 at 01:49 AM.

  5. #25

    Default Re: All the Pros and Cons of Nikon

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Lim
    Shall we please stick to the topic so that this can be used as a quick access to the info needed by new members? thanks.
    I'll take the advise of some seniors to let it run a few days. If a flamewar starts. I will close this thread immediately. Thanks.
    Pros: good continuity, ie no problems in relearning a new model. Great optics. Great ergonomics. Good range of F-mount lenses. Great pictures. No gimmicks.
    Cons: (Still trying to find some fault with the system).

  6. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Bt Batok
    Posts
    768

    Default Re: All the Pros and Cons of Nikon

    Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon
    Cons: (Still trying to find some fault with the system).
    canon has USM in almost everything, even the japan version of the 18-55 kit lens has USM, not to mention tt they've got IS in many of these as well.

    some ppl say theres not use for IS on normal and wider lenses, i think theres no use for it only when ur on a tripod.

    nikon only offers VR and to some extent, afs, on the pro series(>$2000)

  7. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Cons digger.
    Posts
    3,924

    Default Re: All the Pros and Cons of Nikon

    Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon
    Pros: good continuity, ie no problems in relearning a new model. Great optics. Great ergonomics. Good range of F-mount lenses. Great pictures. No gimmicks.
    Cons: (Still trying to find some fault with the system).
    So far, it seems I'm the only one having a gripe with the below limitations, so I'll list them as my cons.

    Cons:
    Lacking quite a bit in the WB system.
    Noisy CCD-based senors. (Personally have not tried the JFET/LBCAST sensors yet.)
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

  8. #28
    Senior Member Cheesecake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    I live in a haunted house!!!!!
    Posts
    16,385

    Default Re: All the Pros and Cons of Nikon

    Quote Originally Posted by roti_prata
    canon has USM in almost everything, even the japan version of the 18-55 kit lens has USM, not to mention tt they've got IS in many of these as well.

    some ppl say theres not use for IS on normal and wider lenses, i think theres no use for it only when ur on a tripod.

    nikon only offers VR and to some extent, afs, on the pro series(>$2000)
    canon made the progression into USM and I.S techie in their lenses much earlier perhaps due to a much better and faster research in such areas.
    they are more daring(even on their lens mount, yes), perhaps spurred on by huge fundings, in making reform.

    Nikon on the other hand is much more traditional in their approach but more often than not, their newly developed products do amaze their users and followers.

    Nikon is not only making AFS with VR on their S$2k lenses. we've a few, the AFS24-120VR, the AFS18-200 VR... they do not cost above S$2k. i feel VR should only be added to lenses that really requires them. now, AFS is almost a standard feature on all new lenses developed by Nikon.

    in the future, lenses from Nikon will feature such gadgets such as AFS and VR. ur wallet should be thicker to embrace these newest lenses as well as servicing costs.
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

  9. #29

    Default Re: All the Pros and Cons of Nikon

    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesecake
    canon made the progression into USM and I.S techie in their lenses much earlier perhaps due to a much better and faster research in such areas.
    they are more daring(even on their lens mount, yes), perhaps spurred on by huge fundings, in making reform.

    Nikon on the other hand is much more traditional in their approach but more often than not, their newly developed products do amaze their users and followers.

    Nikon is not only making AFS with VR on their S$2k lenses. we've a few, the AFS24-120VR, the AFS18-200 VR... they do not cost above S$2k. i feel VR should only be added to lenses that really requires them. now, AFS is almost a standard feature on all new lenses developed by Nikon.

    in the future, lenses from Nikon will feature such gadgets such as AFS and VR. ur wallet should be thicker to embrace these newest lenses as well as servicing costs.
    Very hopeful words Cheesecake. I've been wondering about the VR and its progress on to the lower end range of lenses as well. If it really does pull through and doesn't cost as much, i think it'll be a very good marketing strat to boost sales. Even the Cool pix has it already. VRII

  10. #30
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Planet Nikon
    Posts
    21,905

    Default Re: All the Pros and Cons of Nikon

    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesecake
    is paul a closet gay?
    hehehe
    You don't like that say my D2X PRO hor

  11. #31
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Planet Nikon
    Posts
    21,905

    Default Re: All the Pros and Cons of Nikon

    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesecake
    alrite...

    Paul can be all he wants and change his D2X to a shocking pink as long as he produce his pro fotos.
    All his pics are PRO hor

  12. #32
    Senior Member Cheesecake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    I live in a haunted house!!!!!
    Posts
    16,385

    Default Re: All the Pros and Cons of Nikon

    okok, D2X in pink is fine.
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

  13. #33
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Planet Nikon
    Posts
    21,905

    Default Re: All the Pros and Cons of Nikon

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Lim
    Very hopeful words Cheesecake. I've been wondering about the VR and its progress on to the lower end range of lenses as well. If it really does pull through and doesn't cost as much, i think it'll be a very good marketing strat to boost sales. Even the Cool pix has it already. VRII
    VR is as useful as only on the longer zooms, zooms beyond 300MM is really pretty practically useless apart from a few useful quick action shots whereby you don't have time to mount on tripods. Try handling a 200 f/2VR handheld, and you'll be wondering why the h*ll, you'd want VR on the 300 f/2.8VR and up.

    As for USM/AF-S, certain ranged glasses do NOT need them at all, look at the AF 10.5 FE f/2.8DX, it doesn't need AF-S at all. The cost of putting in the SWM in a 50 mm or 85 mm doesn't seem even useful. Even on the new Micro 105 f/2.8D is AF-S necessary?

    Technology is good, but only where it's necessary.

  14. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Clementi, Singapore
    Posts
    2,836

    Default Re: All the Pros and Cons of Nikon

    Quote Originally Posted by espn
    VR is as useful as only on the longer zooms, zooms beyond 300MM is really pretty practically useless apart from a few useful quick action shots whereby you don't have time to mount on tripods. Try handling a 200 f/2VR handheld, and you'll be wondering why the h*ll, you'd want VR on the 300 f/2.8VR and up.

    As for USM/AF-S, certain ranged glasses do NOT need them at all, look at the AF 10.5 FE f/2.8DX, it doesn't need AF-S at all. The cost of putting in the SWM in a 50 mm or 85 mm doesn't seem even useful. Even on the new Micro 105 f/2.8D is AF-S necessary?

    Technology is good, but only where it's necessary.
    Agree, Pro Comment

    I find some of the nikon sensors very noisy and would ever want to go above iso800 in dark conditions because the noise level is too high, I have heard that canon sensors can handle noise alot better, but then again so can the d200 and D2X whne compared to the d70(s) and d50.

  15. #35
    Senior Member Cheesecake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    I live in a haunted house!!!!!
    Posts
    16,385

    Default Re: All the Pros and Cons of Nikon

    Quote Originally Posted by wildstallion
    Agree, Pro Comment

    I find some of the nikon sensors very noisy and would ever want to go above iso800 in dark conditions because the noise level is too high, I have heard that canon sensors can handle noise alot better, but then again so can the d200 and D2X whne compared to the d70(s) and d50.
    erm...

    CCD and CMOS..
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

  16. #36

    Default Re: All the Pros and Cons of Nikon

    Quote Originally Posted by espn
    VR is as useful as only on the longer zooms, zooms beyond 300MM is really pretty practically useless apart from a few useful quick action shots whereby you don't have time to mount on tripods. Try handling a 200 f/2VR handheld, and you'll be wondering why the h*ll, you'd want VR on the 300 f/2.8VR and up.

    As for USM/AF-S, certain ranged glasses do NOT need them at all, look at the AF 10.5 FE f/2.8DX, it doesn't need AF-S at all. The cost of putting in the SWM in a 50 mm or 85 mm doesn't seem even useful. Even on the new Micro 105 f/2.8D is AF-S necessary?

    Technology is good, but only where it's necessary.
    Hear Hear - well said.

  17. #37

    Default Re: All the Pros and Cons of Nikon

    I guess every brand has it's pros and cons ba. Else that brand would have disappeared from the face of the Earth long time ago lor.

    But the thing is...what is con to one person might actually be a pro for another. Depending on user, pros and cons also varies.

    In the end...this thread will become a debate of pros and cons.

    Sometimes...pro and cons..need to find out for urself one lor....

  18. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Clementi, Singapore
    Posts
    2,836

    Default Re: All the Pros and Cons of Nikon

    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesecake
    erm...

    CCD and CMOS..
    but d200 using ccd?

    but yeah, could explain the difference between the d70 and d2x and canon range

  19. #39
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    The heart of the Abyss
    Posts
    2,307

    Default Re: All the Pros and Cons of Nikon

    Quote Originally Posted by espn
    Technology is good, but only where it's necessary.
    Good for bragging as well mah. The eternal "I have but your brand don't have"

  20. #40
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Bt Batok
    Posts
    768

    Default Re: All the Pros and Cons of Nikon

    Quote Originally Posted by espn
    VR is as useful as only on the longer zooms, zooms beyond 300MM is really pretty practically useless apart from a few useful quick action shots whereby you don't have time to mount on tripods. Try handling a 200 f/2VR handheld, and you'll be wondering why the h*ll, you'd want VR on the 300 f/2.8VR and up.
    i dont really understand ur 1st sentance, some typo perhaps? i agree tt VR is kinda useless on long lenses 300mm and up coz how often do ppl shoot them handheld?

    rather, i often hoped for VR on standard zooms which i seldom use with tripods/monopods.

    the canon 17-55/2.8 IS USM sounds really good

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •