Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: All the Pros and Cons of Canon

Default Re: All the Pros and Cons of Canon

Quote Originally Posted by fWord
    Personally I think having a lens that's white is both a pro and a con. If the photographer likes attention and gets it, then it's a 'pro'. If not, then it's a 'con'. However I find that any large lens attracts lots of attention. That said, I don't mind using a lens that's white, as long as it fulfills my needs and purpose. And if I stick to quiet places like Sungei Buloh, I doubt if it's going to draw too much attention.

I agree with you about the shutter sound, and wish the one on my camera could be quieter.
    Hmm.. but birds get attracted to white things, i don't even wear white during birds/macro shooting. Maybe thats why the pros always camo their big white lens
    Yngwie J. Malmsteen - "...I've never considered myself a fast guitar player..."

Quote Originally Posted by icarus
    Hmm.. but birds get attracted to white things, i don't even wear white during birds/macro shooting. Maybe thats why the pros always camo their big white lens
    Yes, speaking of which I'm considering to camo my lens as well but wish to DIY. Professional gaffering is going to cost me at least 70 bucks. I find that unless a bird is quite far away, it inevitably flies away when I raise my camera to point the lens at it, even if I do it slowly. But gah, what I am I to expect...I'm out in the open without a hide and I'm not camoued myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Klose
    so long u use a dslr, service centre treats you differently from the pns crowd
    Oh i c.. coz i got friends complaining abt their long service queue. heheh

Yes, speaking of which I'm considering to camo my lens as well but wish to DIY. Professional gaffering is going to cost me at least 70 bucks.
    use rubber band fasten a big cloth around the lens barrel can already

Quote Originally Posted by roti_prata
    3. care to explain how fullframe(at the current stage) optimize img quality?

5. u consider tis an advantage? all it does is make u want to buy more.

6. r u buying cameras or printers?

3. because the sensor size is the biggest. with digic II, things get even better

5. its good for the good name of CANON

6. i am buying a canon printer this IT show. which will be about 3 weeks from now. i have delayed this purchase for the past 3 years because i dont have enough money for printers. now i have enough money for printers but now my work eats up a lot of time lol thats why i wait until IT show to look for good deals. in this digital age, my plan is to stick to one company for all my cameras and printers. so that if anything goes wrong there is only 1 service centre to go to. very convenient, saves time, u dont have to go to different service centre for each different brand.

Quote Originally Posted by DT_

Cons
    -harbour front (for a guy who's staying right up north)
    -you'll be alone (u know if you're being surrounder by the darks)
    -harbour front there is northeast line. and the nearby harbourfront mall for a quick break after finish with the service centre. very convenient

- white lens u stand out like a pro. dare to be different. all the eyes of envy will be on u. and then if u want black long lens, there is the EF 100-300/4.5-5.6 ring type USM or EF 75-300 usm I.S. for the IS. both very cheap. for more aperture, u also have EF 200/2.8 USM L and the EF 135/f2 L USM.

canon is very popular for sports photography especially football and f1

and olympics!
    eat. drink. shoot

Pros: Great USM lenses, great noise control
    Cons: Body sucks! Price sucks!

Just trying to thingking positively,
    Canon Pro's: Fast AF, wider choose of lens, better re-sale value, Warm color
    Nikon Pro's: Good flash system and WA support, Blueish color

As for Con's... both system still far from perfect.
    IMO: try them both to get piture , ...choose the color result you like, or use and combine them both!
    ubans.com

Canon's consumer cameras have more 'pro' features than any other in the range. (loved my A60, coz it was truly one of the best bargins+most features on a sub 350 camera. )

As for the EOS range, Canon's sensors are cleaner
    T11-16F2.8G|N24F1.4G|N50F1.8G|S50F1.4G|N70-200F2.8GVRI

Quote Originally Posted by user111
    -harbour front there is northeast line. and the nearby harbourfront mall for a quick break after finish with the service centre. very convenient

- white lens u stand out like a pro. dare to be different. all the eyes of envy will be on u. and then if u want black long lens, there is the EF 100-300/4.5-5.6 ring type USM or EF 75-300 usm I.S. for the IS. both very cheap. for more aperture, u also have EF 200/2.8 USM L and the EF 135/f2 L USM.

dont worry..

- been there of course, very convenient indeed but just dont like to drive all way there from yishun then back..

- thx for recommending, i do own white lense..

Quote Originally Posted by user111
    use rubber band fasten a big cloth around the lens barrel can already
    Doubt if that will work well on a push-pull type lens though. Even gaffering that will be quite a challenge.

Doubt if that will work well on a push-pull type lens though. Even gaffering that will be quite a challenge.
    then use a bigger cloth to allow for some slack to the pushpull

I have a assistant that uses 1d MkII.
    I have loan him my D2x before.
    apart from resolution and FPS.

he mentioned this to me,

1) nikon grabs better than canon.

2) Ergonomics of functions are better, Eg, Nikon doesnt need to access menu, but for some important functions, canon can only access via menu

3) 1d Mk2 when low battery, it sometimes doesnt save the file properly, ending up corrupting the CF. Nikon still reserves a 1-2% for last minute energy to save the files

4) nikon d2x white balance is far more accurate when set as auto white balance than 1dMk2

5) flash system is alot more accurate than canon, I have experienced that my assistant's canon flash sometimes fire full power, over exposing the image.

6) canon's wide angle lenses are not usable for interior/architectural.

7) thou canon may have full frame, the light falloff for wide angle lenses renders 1Ds Mk2 images not usable for commercial interior/architectural.

except for reason 7, my assistant is trying to find buyers for his canon system to go over to nikon.
    Last edited by anka; 27th February 2006 at 10:45 PM.

anka, just curious, does your assistant own TS lenses? thought most commercial interior/architectural photography uses that.

Of course, I still don't exactly "click" with architectural photography, so I'm not really qualified to answer. However I've seen quite a few stunning images from TS lenses..
    LOL a case of bad workman blames his tools?

Anyway the number 1 pro for me would be the clean images at high ISO. All other ergonomics are just a matter of getting used to.

The number 1 cons for me would be the segregation of features. You pay more money for better ergonomics. For example, though i feel that D70/s doesn't produce any impressive images right out of the camera, but it's has lots of features that only Canon's high-end cameras has.. Quoting someone, "They took features of a D70/s, put it into a 20D, and called it 30D."

At the end of the day, for me, the camera that produces better (cleaner + richer) images is the most important. After all, the camera is but a tool for me to produce good images. It may be harder to use, but the end result is worth it.

nope he doesnt own a TS lens. neither do i. cuz I have yet to find a reason why i would need to do so. and yes there are times that I wished I own a TS, but the angle I require to tilt it is beyond the lenses of both nikon and canon.

but anyway, I have told him not to sell it, rather to stop wasting money, I have told him to just focus on shooting. I have also told him a camera is just a tool. nikon/canon, pc/mac is meant for different taste individually. just like fried rice, I may love it but others may not. and others may love it and I may not.

I have not touched a canon personally so i cannot input my personal comments. I am only just relaying what he has told me.

all i can say is personally, canon and nikon is the same. and so is pentax and minolta. it's only that nikon fits better specifically on what i specialize in cuz it's my personal perference of style. nothing more, nothing less.

just my 2 cents..

** if my previous post sounds offending. I'm sorry. wasnt my intention.

Hi Guys, thanks for all the posts. Just a friendly reminder that this is a Canon Only thread. Please discuss the Pros and Cons of Canon. Lets try not to make this a N Vs C thread. Thanks.

Its a huge load of info that i really didnt know about canon. Thanks alot for posting guys. ESP thanks to all the masters and shifus of photography.

Cheers

Well said. good real life experince.

Quote Originally Posted by anka
    I have a assistant that uses 1d MkII.
    I have loan him my D2x before.
    apart from resolution and FPS.

he mentioned this to me,

1) nikon grabs better than canon.

2) Ergonomics of functions are better, Eg, Nikon doesnt need to access menu, but for some important functions, canon can only access via menu

3) 1d Mk2 when low battery, it sometimes doesnt save the file properly, ending up corrupting the CF. Nikon still reserves a 1-2% for last minute energy to save the files

4) nikon d2x white balance is far more accurate when set as auto white balance than 1dMk2

5) flash system is alot more accurate than canon, I have experienced that my assistant's canon flash sometimes fire full power, over exposing the image.

6) canon's wide angle lenses are not usable for interior/architectural.

7) thou canon may have full frame, the light falloff for wide angle lenses renders 1Ds Mk2 images not usable for commercial interior/architectural.

except for reason 7, my assistant is trying to find buyers for his canon system to go over to nikon.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast