Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Montage 2006

Default Re: Montage 2006

Erratic? What happened? Anyway, who are the winners?

Winners will be annonced soon. It was a long day for all those involved. A few didnt get to eat lunch till about 3. Uppz for the hard work.
    Furry Photos - Photography for the Modern Pet

Quote Originally Posted by sigg
    left halfway during the open judging.....one word....erratic.......

i guess photographic is very subjective.....its either you like it or not...to each his own........no one really cares about the theme.......

Thank you NUSPS for your hard work and effort!!!
    Thanks for your enouraging words.

Well, photography is indeed subjective. And the set of winning prints might not gain the same favour with a different panel of judges.

left halfway during the open judging.....one word....erratic.......

i guess photographic is very subjective.....its either you like it or not...to each his own........no one really cares about the theme.......

Thank you NUSPS for your hard work and effort!!!
    I agree with sigg that "no one really cares about the theme". I had difficulty relating many of the submissions to the theme. Perhaps the judges already assumed the organising committee had already vet through the entries to ensure conformance to the theme, and they merely judged on the image quality.

The ranking of entries in the final round was also quite poorly done. The judges were not briefed on how to use the software for viewing the images. At least one of them was actually struggling, and was probably making his decisions based on the thumbnail images ! I was observing from the back, and never once did he view any of the images full screen.

What is more - the judges made this final round of judging on individual notebook computers ! And one of the notebooks was a tiny 14" screen !!! Don't the organisers know about calibration, or at least, standardisation of the configuration for all the judges' screens?

Quote Originally Posted by laokayu
    I had difficulty relating many of the submissions to the theme.
    One thing I could offer for would be competitor for next year compeition, if any, shoot abstracts, landsape, kitty, any kids potrait from a poor country without worrying about composition...........and you stand a chance

Btw, laokayu, your avatar could score points

The ranking of entries in the final round was also quite poorly done.
    Didnt expect you to stay till the end considering how the proceedings went.

One thing I could offer for would be competitor for next year compeition, if any, shoot abstracts, landsape, kitty, any kids potrait from a poor country without worrying about composition...........and you stand a chance
    Hmm...Kitty and landscape...
    Wissen Sie, wer ich bin?
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/yp-wang/

[quote=sigg]One thing I could offer for would be competitor for next year compeition, if any, shoot abstracts, landsape, kitty, any kids potrait from a poor country without worrying about composition...........and you stand a chance
    [quote]

Woohoo, I submitted 2 kitty pics!!!!

I agree with sigg that "no one really cares about the theme". I had difficulty relating many of the submissions to the theme. Perhaps the judges already assumed the organising committee had already vet through the entries to ensure conformance to the theme, and they merely judged on the image quality.
    Well, the judges may not have faced the same difficulty that you had had.

The ranking of entries in the final round was also quite poorly done. The judges were not briefed on how to use the software for viewing the images. At least one of them was actually struggling, and was probably making his decisions based on the thumbnail images ! I was observing from the back, and never once did he view any of the images full screen.

What is more - the judges made this final round of judging on individual notebook computers ! And one of the notebooks was a tiny 14" screen !!! Don't the organisers know about calibration, or at least, standardisation of the configuration for all the judges' screens?
    Perhaps that particular judge doesnt even need to view the full image.
    Anyway, thanks for your kind comments we'll keep that in mind. =)

I agree with sigg that "no one really cares about the theme". I had difficulty relating many of the submissions to the theme. Perhaps the judges already assumed the organising committee had already vet through the entries to ensure conformance to the theme, and they merely judged on the image quality.?
    I believed that the judges were fully aware of the theme, and the committee do not have the liberty to simply "vet" the prints.
    Imagine you submitted a photo, and you felt very relevant to the theme, but the committee doesn't and was not judged, how would you feel?

Anyway, the judges were breifed on the R&R prior to judging, and highlighted that there is a theme. It is up to the judges to decide on the relevance and importance of the theme for individual entry....
    Ultimately, the "Judges' Decision will be final..."~Rule 15.

"The ranking of entries in the final round was also quite poorly done. The judges were not briefed on how to use the software for viewing the images. At least one of them was actually struggling, and was probably making his decisions based on the thumbnail images ! I was observing from the back, and never once did he view any of the images full screen.

I think some of the judges preferred to view it as thumbnail, while others like to view through them in full screen. We should not fault the judges on their preference.
    Nonetheless, if there were any difficulty in using "Windows Picture and Fax Viewer" for viewing the photos, the organizers were standing by to render any help needed.
    The laptop has been calibrated to a good extent, and during the final round of the Open category we have switched to 3 laptops, each with 14" LCD screen.

Well, all in all, we thank the judges for putting in their time and effort for the judging, and thank you all participant who took part and attended the judging.

Apologies if anything was remiss, do keep your feedback coming, and we will work on it for future montage.

[quote=Yjx]
    [quote]

Rule 8 says: Entries submitted must have not won prizes in other competition. But But But, I detect a winning picture who has won something elsewhere submitted for this competition scoring high marks.................

Quote Originally Posted by ady
    Anyway, who are the winners?
    Perhaps the winner is...hint hint......

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=190087

[QUOTE=sigg][quote=Yjx]

Rule 8 says: Entries submitted must have not won prizes in other competition. But But But, I detect a winning picture who has won something elsewhere submitted for this competition scoring high marks.................

Hmm, I think the organisers are unaware of whether some of the photographs had won any competitions before. If the public can provide the evidence or prove that this photo had won in any competition before, they would certainly carry the necessary actions.

[QUOTE=sigg][quote=Yjx]

Hmm, I think the organisers are unaware of whether some of the photographs had won any competitions before.
    If the public can provide the evidence or prove that this photo had won in any competition before, I believe the organisers would carry the necessary actions.

I totally 101% agree with this statement.. I think the judges had no clue as to what the theme was..

Any updates?

Quote Originally Posted by Klose
    Any updates?
    if you are refering to updates to who the winners are...the person incharge of the website is currently still working on putting up the winner entries.

as for the winners, they are already informed personally thru phone.

Quote Originally Posted by jeryltan
    I totally 101% agree with this statement.. I think the judges had no clue as to what the theme was..
    We are fully aware of what the theme was.. but different judges had different interpretations and perspectives of looking at it.. there was also concious effort on the organisers part to choose judges with different backgrounds to sit on the panel.

The judges were informed of the theme before the judging started. And it was also told to them that "behind the seen" is left open to the judges interpretation, as it was for the participants.

Since the theme is subjective, the same images may not have won if a different set of judges were present.

Thanks for your feedback.

As Willy has already mentioned, the judges were informed of the theme. Furthermore, in the beginning of the second round of judging, the Judging Director reminded the judges of the theme once again.

Also, in the final round of judging, all 3 laptops were 14" IBMs. the 12" IBM was removed in the final round and replaced with a 14" Laptop.

Cheers

Ok la, what over is over, i think the hardwork put up by the entire team is worth applause. Hope for a better chance next year if am around.

I think its important to keep this thread open to suggestions and opinions, though we must all be fair and not let our personal disappointments over not winning anything get to out reasoning.

Logical and reasonable feedback is important to any event and to help the organizers improve. Doubts should be aired too so the organizers can clarify any of them and prevent any misunderstandings. For example the question of whether the judges know the theme, its customary of the montage competition judging OIC to brief all the judges before the start of the judging something one may not see if we do not notice it or join the judging after it has started.

There are also many actions the committee has to carry out which the public may not know and mistakened to be not taken, for example the calibration of screens. Its an important agenda for the organizers when they first decided to implement digital judging this year, there will always be arguments about which screen is more calibrated or correct in colour production but in trade off, the organization of the judging process is improved. Realise the increased efficiency of the judging process this year.

As in any first times, there will be bugs so do post any suggestions or email the organizing committee but at the same time recognize their effort and spirit of volunteerism.

EH

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast