Thread: sensor cleaning Q

Default sensor cleaning Q

Inspected my 20D sensor under 30x optical scope and can see about 10+ particles. These do cause grey spots at f16. Blower cannot remove them and I am think of cleaning it with 99.99% IPA ( Ethanol research grade) and lint free cloth that has been DI washed.

I have done some experiments with above but on mirror (not cam mirror of course). Some how after the IPA wipe there seem to have a very thin layer of residue after the IPA dry off which is not visible under naked eye but only visible under scope.

Question is when u guys DIY clean the sensor with solvent based sensor wipe (retail), do u see any residue?

Since I can see the particles, should I just u blower and the lint free cloth alone to lightly dust off the particles? I believe that is the method Canon use.
    Last edited by bigmouse; 24th February 2006 at 08:37 AM.

Default Re: sensor cleaning Q

Sorry I have not tried the "wet method" but for less than $20, I strongly advise you to send to Canon Service Centre for the 1/2-day job.

Quote Originally Posted by yyD70S
    Sorry I have not tried the "wet method" but for less than $20, I strongly advise you to send to Canon Service Centre for the 1/2-day job.
    He He;

A lot of people DIY also. I am sure I can do a better job than Canon do in less time and no cost. Just need to practice and learn from expert here

Quote Originally Posted by bigmouse
    He He;

A lot of people DIY also. I am sure I can do a better job than Canon do in less time and no cost. Just need to practice and learn from expert here
    Sure, if the guy at Canon spoils your sensor, you can complain. If you spoil your sensor, who you going to complain to? The cost is the risk, my friend.

Its good to hear that they can do it in half a day.. Which service center is this? The one in Harbourfront?

Yes... and it should be below $20. It was about half-a-year ago so I hope nothing has changed. Call them if you want to be certain.

Yes... and it should be below $20. It was about half-a-year ago so I hope nothing has changed. Call them if you want to be certain.

Tried as I could, the particles on my sensor still there. Do not want to use wet cleaning as there could be residue remaining ( non volatile residue) from even the best IPA available.
    Guess I will send to Canon Service centre together with my other lens for ckeck up next week.

Have you tried Sensorswab? Bought the solution but cannot remember if the solution is 99.99% IPA. In fact, have not started cleaning yet.

Quote Originally Posted by noom69
    Have you tried Sensorswab? Bought the solution but cannot remember if the solution is 99.99% IPA. In fact, have not started cleaning yet.
    Should be IPA but purity is probably on par with research grade. Point to note is use wet method only when all other method fail to remove the particles which u cannot live with.

About the thin residue, I have no idea if it affects the optical image of the sensor. But judging from the number of wet cleaners here with no complaint. I guess it should be negligible.

do you shoot at f16 often?if not then dont bother...

Quote Originally Posted by JediForce4ever
    do you shoot at f16 often?if not then dont bother...
    Have not been shooting for months after I got my 500D close up lens. Maybe will try some macro @f8-16 after cleaning

Sent my cam to canon for cmos clean yesterday morning. Job done in less than 1hr at S$21.

Inspected under 30x optical microscope and still can see more than ~6-10 large particles

Took some snaps from f22-f8. As expected, a few grey spots still showed up at f16. Not a good job Actually, I don't mind wait longer as long the cleaning is more up to std.

Quote Originally Posted by bigmouse
    Sent my cam to canon for cmos clean yesterday morning. Job done in less than 1hr at S$21.

Inspected under 30x optical microscope and still can see more than ~6-10 large particles

Took some snaps from f22-f8. As expected, a few grey spots still showed up at f16. Not a good job Actually, I don't mind wait longer as long the cleaning is more up to std.
    Try the sensor brush .. if you want anything cleaner