Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 47891011 ... LastLast

Thread: 2 Ngee Ann Photographic Exhibition

Deregistered

Default Re: 2 Ngee Ann Photographic Exhibition

Quote Originally Posted by Stereobox
    hi nicholas!

were you the one who was speaking to a group of friends in mandarin, towards the closing hours of the exhibition?

so we did 'meet' you afterall! =) we were hoping to meet you and some others here actually
    Yes that me actually I wanted to go over and say hello. May be next time.

that is ziedrich's??

everybody who saw it was talking about it! i believe it is the one picture in the whole exhibition that made quite an impression to a number of people.

(i believe it's a swallow anyway, not a fly?)
    I think i said bird shot, but initial view from far looks like fly.........

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by ziedrich
    actually i didn't really have "traditional" conventions of the more mainstream photography in mind when i took the shot.

the intended foreground is meant to be the wide, grey featureless sky. the (carefree) swift was meant to complement and bring out the scale and the stagnancy of the space. the composition implies departure.

was exploring the bewildering meanings of (urban) space

but of course everyone has the right to have their own interpretation, and i'm glad it's actually selected to be exhibited at all

What I want to tell you is this. Do not be afriad of making mistake but the most important thing is found out what went wrong.

When I saw my photography in the colourlab, I have a good LOL. If you are interested we can exchange photography.

Deregistered

by the way anybody is intereted to exhange photography with me. And this is not a joke. Hahahahaaa

I was with my father and mother and one of my friends that join this photo thing.

i was the one wearing a Red Coat.. lol.

Quote Originally Posted by nicholas68
    by the way anybody is intereted to exhange photography with me. And this is not a joke. Hahahahaaa
    hi Nicholas,
    what do you mean exchange photography? exchange photos right?
    i'm interested to see your shots in 1 room flat.
    we can meet at the AG outings Get-Together and hope to see your photos there
    http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=185540
    Last edited by sathea; 26th March 2006 at 12:17 AM.

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by sathea
    what do you mean exchange photography?
    i'm interested to see your shots in 1 room flat.
    we can meet at the AG outings Get-Together and hope to see your photos there
    http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=185540
    Thank very much for the viewing in my 1 room flat project that I am doing it right now. I am not selfish not to share it with the other. But I have some plan in mind.

The better photography are keep with me. And they are not post in the forums. Will keep you update.

At the meant time keep viewing and please give any C&C.

The better photography are keep with me. And they are not post in the forums. Will keep you update.
    yup, i know.
    you told me when we met at objectifs the other day.
    anyway, see you soon.

angle zhang, or angel zhou?

if you are talking about Angel...i was the taller guy in glasses! who were you? we were actually hoping to meet some of you guys actually =)
    Angel Zhang lol

I managed to spot Mezzotint's pictures and Nicholas' pictures - but dunno which one the photographer is T_____T

My favourite picture of the day is actually the white space with little black bird on it =)

u think so?

perhaps we went down quite late, and the food was getting cold already. i was pretty hungry (skipped lunch) but i only manage to sit through one round. but yes, the selection does look very good! if only it was warmer...

the one complaint i just have to make (and i did so in the survey)...is the Music selection! i have nothing against opera, but it just seem so 'out' of context tonight!

overall, i felt it is a very well organised exhibition...upz for the organisers =)

we had fun tonight

cannot agree more on the opera sound lol hell outa hell

I was will a big group of my friend for COL. Sorry for not introuducing myself to you and your friend.

May be one day we can organised a photoshoot. Sorry about that.
    and none of the COL guy say hi to me you ah... i also from COL leh!

Quote Originally Posted by slaam
    haha actually i only know who you two are after i looked at angelzhou's pics (you two were posing for pics in front of them i was the guy jus strolling by)
    the BW photos from angel were great..
    but too bad didn't know which one is stereobox's photos..

heh now i know who the speck of a 'Yan4 Zi1" belongs to...
    nah, stereobox dun wan to join =p

so you must be the kind guy who wait for us to 'strike a pose'

in case anyone spot me, i'm the girl with the die hair wearing black tank and brown long skirt with two guys in black with me. The taller one with glasses is stereobox, the other one is archlover.

Hi Angel, I saw yr work and they look good on prints. I saw Nicholas, in person too as we passed by each other and said "hi!" only. Didn't get to see his work but guess we all can see it on the CD-ROM the organiser gave every participant at the entrance.

Guess you're not the only one with the high price tags. So far I've came across some that are priced at $2k. I saw a few digital shots which are over-edited in PS especially Unsharp Masking and the color saturation as well.

I expect there are more partcipants for this year's exhibition but in fact there are only 450 plus entries, compared to last year's 600plus entries.

BTW, Stereobox, I didn't know which are yr photographic work as I do not know yr real name.

Quote Originally Posted by Mezzotint
    So far I've came across some that are priced at $2k. I saw a few digital shots which are over-edited in PS especially Unsharp Masking and the color saturation as well.
    I'm glad I'm not the only one noticing the tendency towards screaming colours. Some pictures also showed glaring signs of careless retouching - I remember a photo of wine glasses that stood out in this respect. Refreshingly, I also saw photos with decent craftsmanship being offered for only $20 and $25.

I expect there are more partcipants for this year's exhibition but in fact there are only 450 plus entries, compared to last year's 600plus entries.
    I think the exhibition is not widely publicized. I don't see it mentioned on the Ngee Ann Kongsi home page, and the "culture" section says Ngee Ann focuses on Chinese/Teochew culture - if I wouldnt' have read about the exhibition on Clubsnap, I would have never known about it. I went on Saturday, and there were only a handful of visitors, including a group of school children who were probably dragged there by a teacher. It was very nice and quiet. But weekend, free entrance, plus a freebie CDROM - and no queue in Singapore?

Nevertheless, it was one of the most interesting and enjoyable exhibitions I've ever attended. I'm grateful for Ngee Ann's contribution to the community and am looking forward to more exhibitions like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mezzotint
    Hi Angel, I saw yr work and they look good on prints. I saw Nicholas, in person too as we passed by each other and said "hi!" only. Didn't get to see his work but guess we all can see it on the CD-ROM the organiser gave every participant at the entrance.

Guess you're not the only one with the high price tags. So far I've came across some that are priced at $2k. I saw a few digital shots which are over-edited in PS especially Unsharp Masking and the color saturation as well.

BTW, Stereobox, I didn't know which are yr photographic work as I do not know yr real name.
    Stereobox dun join lah

Quote Originally Posted by LittleWolf
    I'm glad I'm not the only one noticing the tendency towards screaming colours. Some pictures also showed glaring signs of careless retouching - I remember a photo of wine glasses that stood out in this respect. Refreshingly, I also saw photos with decent craftsmanship being offered for only $20 and $25.
    haha my gripe picture was the very grainy butterfly with hues of green and yellow.
    seems like an attempt to upsize a small crop picture and overzealous USM after tat. heh hope the person wont be too angry to hear me say this.

my fave was by teo bee yen. you can't miss that 4 pics. from far they look like chinese water paintings. Its done on film and prob developed by him. the contrast is amazing..

portraits wise there's the one of nepalese children. the sharpness and light conditions were quite amazing too...

Quote Originally Posted by slaam
    haha my gripe picture was the very grainy butterfly with hues of green and yellow.
    I don't think there's any way this could have been unintentional, it's just too extreme. It's probably art that I cannot appreciate.

my fave was by teo bee yen. you can't miss that 4 pics. from far they look like chinese water paintings.
    Do you mean the pictures from HuanShang? That is an amazingly beautiful place, I hope I can visit it one day. I will have to check which picture you mean... (if only the CD would work without having to install proprietary software).

There was this one photo of a bird against bright sky that was discussed earlier in this thread. It really stood out in a refreshing way. I also recall two pictures showing details of stacked chairs - very nice. And some amazing pictures of dancers.

I'm not really into candids of children - they leave me with a bit of a voyeurist aftertaste. Also all the pictures of people in foreign places - do they know they are on display here? Do they agree with pictures of them being up for sale for a lot of money? Sometimes it feels a bit like exploitation, especially as people in the popular "romantic rural scenes in less developed countries" are typically among the less well-off.

I'm not really into candids of children - they leave me with a bit of a voyeurist aftertaste. Also all the pictures of people in foreign places - do they know they are on display here? Do they agree with pictures of them being up for sale for a lot of money? Sometimes it feels a bit like exploitation, especially as people in the popular "romantic rural scenes in less developed countries" are typically among the less well-off.
    I find this statement very interesting. Especially the "voyeurist aftertaste".

I don't think there's any way this could have been unintentional, it's just too extreme. It's probably art that I cannot appreciate.

Do you mean the pictures from HuanShang? That is an amazingly beautiful place, I hope I can visit it one day. I will have to check which picture you mean... (if only the CD would work without having to install proprietary software).

There was this one photo of a bird against bright sky that was discussed earlier in this thread. It really stood out in a refreshing way. I also recall two pictures showing details of stacked chairs - very nice. And some amazing pictures of dancers.

because the subject is deemed "exotic".

i visited this tourist attraction in chiangrai before, where various selected members of hill tribes are consolidated and moved to live in the small constructed "village" for tourists to pay money to enter and take photos. i'm not saying its like a zoo or whether it's ethical, just that it's a sort of cultural commodification.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 47891011 ... LastLast