Thread: ACHROMATIC macro lens

Default ACHROMATIC macro lens

Like to know what is achromatic macro lens for?
    F5 D700 D200 S5Pro 10.5 20f2.8 35f2 50f1.4 CZ85f1.4 105VR 200macro 24-70 70-200VR 300f4 TC1.7/2.0

Default Re: ACHROMATIC macro lens

Quote Originally Posted by sgfriend
    Like to know what is achromatic macro lens for?
    To be mounted on a lens to a camera to take close up ......

What i have was a Sigma achromatic macro lens. So when I set the Sigma 70-300mm into macro mode and use it to become macro and more macro?
    F5 D700 D200 S5Pro 10.5 20f2.8 35f2 50f1.4 CZ85f1.4 105VR 200macro 24-70 70-200VR 300f4 TC1.7/2.0

Quote Originally Posted by sgfriend
    What i have was a Sigma achromatic macro lens. So when I set the Sigma 70-300mm into macro mode and use it to become macro and more macro?
    Yes ... it is basically a magnifying glass.

Quote Originally Posted by blurblock
    Yes ... it is basically a magnifying glass.
    Thanks.

Mr blurblock is still the most helpful CSer.

There are two aspects to the description of this lens

1 Achromatic

2 Macro

"Macro" as explained by blurblock is a "magnifying glass"

Now for "achromatic".

A single lens causes colored fringes around images because the lens diffracts the different wavelengths in white light to slightly different extents.

An "achromatic" lens uses a combination of lenses to reduce this color aberration.

Quote Originally Posted by student
    There are two aspects to the description of this lens

1 Achromatic

2 Macro

"Macro" as explained by blurblock is a "magnifying glass"

Now for "achromatic".

A single lens causes colored fringes around images because the lens diffracts the different wavelengths in white light to slightly different extents.

An "achromatic" lens uses a combination of lenses to reduce this color aberration.
    Oh

I think the term is Apochromatic or APO for short. These are coatings on lenses that filter out different wavelengths of light. Without these, you will tend to get images with chromatic aberations or rainbows at the edges of images. its especially pronounced when using long lenses and in broad daylight.

Not necessary Apo.

Read this

http://www.redoptronics.com/achromatic-lenses.html

Quote Originally Posted by MDZ2
    I think the term is Apochromatic or APO for short. These are coatings on lenses that filter out different wavelengths of light. Without these, you will tend to get images with chromatic aberations or rainbows at the edges of images. its especially pronounced when using long lenses and in broad daylight.

Achromatic is Achromatic .... Apochromatic is Apochromatic ..... two different animals altogether.....

I think the term is Apochromatic or APO for short. These are coatings on lenses that filter out different wavelengths of light.
    It has nothing to do with coatings. A basic achromat is made from two lenses of different optical glass, so that the chromatic abberations of one lens cancel those of the other. In general, this works exactly only for two wavelengths (for other wavelengths, chromatic abberation is reduced, but not eliminated).

Apochromats are corrected for three wavelengths and are not the same as achromats.
    Last edited by LittleWolf; 24th February 2006 at 07:04 PM.