Thread: need some IT help here

Default need some IT help here

I have a hard disk which I salvaged from my damaged laptop...

is there anyway I can create a new user account directly thru another computer when I connect the hard disk to a USB port as I forgot the password of the old account...?
    eat. drink. shoot

Default Re: need some IT help here

I'll say no. because the pw and everything is stored in the hdd itself. no matter where you change it to, it will still have the pw thingy.
    I Love You :)

dont tink so. Either u have to rem the password or reinstall the windows. If u need the data in side u can try using program to backup the HD before reformatting.

Are you going to use the old hard disk again as your system disk or trying to retrieve data?
    There are tools that can reset the local admin password.
    If you remember the local admin password, you can use the local admini account to reset your user password.

Note: If you have enable encryption, then good luck to you. You need the old password to access the encrypted data.
    除了爱, 我一无所有

I guess since you are connecting it via USB this HD will be a secondary hd right? If yes then you should be able to access your data. If you are using it as your system disk then try what Ola said. There are tools to reset the admin password. If not do as Ken suggested backup the HD first and reinstall Windows. Carefull not to overwrite the data.

Don't think that there is a need to create an account. You should just be able to read all the files.

If the external disk used to be a WinXP system drive, you will need to take ownership of the My Documents folder before you can access the folder. To take ownership, you will have to boot up in safe mode on the host computer to enable the feature. The Take Ownership command is available on the mouse menu (right click).

use the hdd as slave first, retrive all the data u want, provided you didn't encrypte your data. Good luck trying.

actually i'm trying to use the hard disk on another old workable laptop, so trying to create a new windows account so that i can use the hard disk without re-installing windows...guess it can't be done...?
    eat. drink. shoot

Quote Originally Posted by +evenstar
    actually i'm trying to use the hard disk on another old workable laptop, so trying to create a new windows account so that i can use the hard disk without re-installing windows...guess it can't be done...?
    Is the old workable laptop the exact same model/config/specs?

If no? Can forget about it.

You can copy over whatever needed data, but after that, you need to format and reinstall the entire OS.

specs are about the same as the damaged
    eat. drink. shoot

As we're all using m$hit products... there might be configuration problems due to difference in specs. eg. Graphic card/modem/wifi adaptor etc.

Its not as dynamic as linux where 1 machine shifted to another, the OS itself changes to adapt to that new set of hardware/resources.

I recently detached my hard disk from a Dell Inspiron and used it in a Lattitude. NO PROBLEMs!! So, give it a go, it may just worked. If not, reinstall.

Are you using Windows XP? If yes, you just need the tools to reset your local admin password.
    除了爱, 我一无所有

Go to the following site for some free tools.
    http://www.petri.co.il/forgot_admini...assword.htm#20

If still need help, can PM me.
    除了爱, 我一无所有

Quote Originally Posted by dEthANGeL
    As we're all using m$hit products... there might be configuration problems due to difference in specs. eg. Graphic card/modem/wifi adaptor etc.

Its not as dynamic as linux where 1 machine shifted to another, the OS itself changes to adapt to that new set of hardware/resources.
    Agree with this. It better to get all the data you want and then reinstall Windows. If the 2 laptops are not exactly the same then you may encounter problems later on. I've gone through this personally. You may spend more time troubleshooting it later.
    Last edited by jbma; 23rd February 2006 at 04:38 PM.

If you are using windows 2K and above, it should not be an issue. The OS will auto detect and update the necessary drivers. You might need the CD.
    除了爱, 我一无所有

Don't think that there is a need to create an account. You should just be able to read all the files.
    correct.

If the target laptop has different brand/model components (video, lan, etc) then you would be advised to login in safe mode and install the specific drivers for the devices before logging in live.