Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 64

Thread: Compact with good macro function

  1. #1
    Member scanman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Red White and stars.
    Posts
    356

    Default Compact with good macro function

    Guys/ Girls,

    Could someone recommend a compact with good macro function? Any brand.
    Maybe ratio 1:1 type, I know not possible lah but maybe something close by.

    Need to get a compact for office to take close up.

    Anyone? Thanks!!

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Sedna, Orion Stars
    Posts
    856

    Default Re: Compact with good macro function

    coolpix 4500.

    i know it's a old model but to me undoubtfully the best macro there is.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Compact with good macro function

    Quote Originally Posted by germ_boi
    coolpix 4500.

    i know it's a old model but to me undoubtfully the best macro there is.
    I think most of the Nikon Coolpix has good macro functions.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Compact with good macro function

    Quote Originally Posted by scanman
    Guys/ Girls,

    Could someone recommend a compact with good macro function? Any brand.
    Maybe ratio 1:1 type, I know not possible lah but maybe something close by.

    Need to get a compact for office to take close up.

    Anyone? Thanks!!
    I doubt any compact cams can do 1:1 macro.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  5. #5
    Member scanman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Red White and stars.
    Posts
    356

    Default Re: Compact with good macro function

    i heard of how good is cp 4500.but i don't think it still go the market. i need it to be able to purchase locally. not second hand. as i need to get quote. standard procedure. any more recommendations?

  6. #6
    Member scanman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Red White and stars.
    Posts
    356

    Default Re: Compact with good macro function

    anyone?

  7. #7
    Member YogiBear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Jurong West, Singapore
    Posts
    1,051

    Default Re: Compact with good macro function

    Do a feature search on http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare.asp and compare each selected model side by side. I think its easier that way. Try selecting minimal parameters cause I realise if too many it wont work.

    Many of our choices are varied and its difficult to determine which feature one regard as being more critical.

    Anyway, my choice is the cost efficient 6MP Casio Exilim EX-Z110 which cost S$459 CP price; comes with free SD512MB card too. See the specs on dpreview.
    Last edited by YogiBear; 23rd February 2006 at 03:14 AM.
    search me on Google "simonKLgoh"

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Jurong Island
    Posts
    1,124

    Default Re: Compact with good macro function

    How about a Prosumer?

    Canon S2 is defintely a good marco camera, capable of super marco at 0cm.

    Check this out:

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canons2is/

    Btw, a newer model which is the S3 will be hitting the shelves soon.

    Cheers

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Compact with good macro function

    Quote Originally Posted by Lmodel
    How about a Prosumer?

    Canon S2 is defintely a good marco camera, capable of super marco at 0cm.

    Check this out:

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canons2is/

    Btw, a newer model which is the S3 will be hitting the shelves soon.

    Cheers
    Yes the S2 and S3 can do macro at 0cm but still cannot get as close as SLR macro lens at 1:1 lifesize.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Compact with good macro function

    Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle
    Yes the S2 and S3 can do macro at 0cm but still cannot get as close as SLR macro lens at 1:1 lifesize.
    I think it doesn't really make sense to talk about 1:1 macro for digital compacts. The sensor size is different from model to model and even when you reproduce the image on 4R or the computer screen, the size is going to be different.

    1:1 only makes sense if you know the sensor size. In the case of film, you know that the size on the film is the same size as the object.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Compact with good macro function

    Quote Originally Posted by scanman
    i heard of how good is cp 4500.but i don't think it still go the market. i need it to be able to purchase locally. not second hand. as i need to get quote. standard procedure. any more recommendations?
    Go to a shop with a good range when you're ready to buy and try the different models you have in mind and pick one. As long as at the end of all the tests you BUY one. Otherwise the salesman will find that you're a waste of his time. As long as you buy one, it should be ok.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Compact with good macro function

    Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon
    I think it doesn't really make sense to talk about 1:1 macro for digital compacts. The sensor size is different from model to model and even when you reproduce the image on 4R or the computer screen, the size is going to be different.

    1:1 only makes sense if you know the sensor size. In the case of film, you know that the size on the film is the same size as the object.
    Yes yes, u got a point there....but S2's macro function is rather impressive. I think it can go to around 1:3?
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Compact with good macro function

    Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle
    Yes yes, u got a point there....but S2's macro function is rather impressive. I think it can go to around 1:3?
    What's the sensor size for S2?

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Cons digger.
    Posts
    3,924

    Default Re: Compact with good macro function

    I doubt reproduction ratio is really relevant here. Like mentioned, if you are going to get a 1:1 on a tiny consumer sensor.. what are you hoping to shoot?
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Compact with good macro function

    Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay
    I doubt reproduction ratio is really relevant here. Like mentioned, if you are going to get a 1:1 on a tiny consumer sensor.. what are you hoping to shoot?
    Some insect's eyes LOL
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Compact with good macro function

    Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon
    What's the sensor size for S2?
    According to dpreview, it's 1/2.5" CCD which is even tinier than APS-C size.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Compact with good macro function

    Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle
    According to dpreview, it's 1/2.5" CCD which is even tinier than APS-C size.
    Yes.. definitely. Most digital compacts have smaller than APS sensor size. So for a 1:3 macro reproduction, when you blow it up it would be really huge. A 0.4" x 3 (3cm) object would occupy the whole frame! Not too bad. Nearly like a 1:1 on a DX format (APS size) sensor.
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 23rd February 2006 at 03:21 PM.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Compact with good macro function

    Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon
    Yes.. definitely. Most digital compacts have smaller than APS sensor size. So for a 1:3 macro reproduction, when you blow it up it would be really huge. A 0.4" x 3 (3cm) object would occupy the whole frame! Not too bad. Nearly like a 1:1 on a DX format (APS size) sensor.
    True, but that needs blowing it up. On a usual 1:1 macro lens on an SLR system, what you get is a life-sized image hehe...
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Compact with good macro function

    Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle
    True, but that needs blowing it up. On a usual 1:1 macro lens on an SLR system, what you get is a life-sized image hehe...
    Yeah.. That's why I say it doesn't really make sense to give the reproduction ratio for a digital compact. There is no image other than a digital representation and viewing it is as good as blowing it up.

  20. #20

    Default Re: Compact with good macro function

    Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle
    Some insect's eyes LOL
    Immobilize the insect and put it under a microscope..

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •