Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: best mountain to climb in SE Asia?

Default Re: best mountain to climb in SE Asia?

Quote Originally Posted by chewed
    Lens,

the gurkas training in Malaysia actually do make the ascent in a day, running up & down. It's not advisable if you're not of a certain fitness level. There is also a Mt. kinabalu climb-athon, where participants will run up & down.2 days is about right, else altitude sickness can kill you.
    According to the 2001 record, it was 2hr 42min, by a Mexican runner, called Ricardo Mejia.

Quote Originally Posted by LENS
    Ah seng, a quick search in internet, Gunung kinabalu claims to be the highest mountain in S.E.A, 4101 meter..
    i have thought that it is the highest mt in S.E.A...

why ah?
    I guess maybe Indon and Myanmar just don't bother with all these highest mountain claims...beats me too...

Quote Originally Posted by maestrolik
    Anyone been to taiwan for mountain climbing before? Looking at Alishan and Yushan, can't seem to find any local contacts online, maybe they are all in mandarin thats why

hi bro

here local contact if you keen to climb in taiwan.

www.boac-online.com

Look for Tim. you would regret climbing yushan. tough first 2km. after that quite ok. beautiful view. much much much better Mount K.

actually mt kinabalu isn't tough to scale right? i read that it is really one of the easiest mt to climb.. i read sth that a 2 day package to reach the peak..and actually someone told me that reach the top in 1 day..

Someone adventurers can comment?
    Climbing up is not the major problem. It's the going down....that is more challange. Without proper warm up, your leg muscles will be challenging the weight of your body. This is for normal people like us....not those marathon runners....

Mount K is the highest mountain in SE Asia and it's a challange.

Quote Originally Posted by kohweeloon
    hi bro

here local contact if you keen to climb in taiwan.

www.boac-online.com

Look for Tim. you would regret climbing yushan. tough first 2km. after that quite ok. beautiful view. much much much better Mount K.
    Oh yeah...Tim is the man.

Quote Originally Posted by Pro Image
    Climbing up is not the major problem. It's the going down....that is more challange. Without proper warm up, your leg muscles will be challenging the weight of your body. This is for normal people like us....not those marathon runners....
    The way for a pro to come down is to adseil with the cameras and L lenses hanging down his neck for weight.

If you can hire a chopper, why climb?

But...... if intend to climb, why look for the best(easiet) mountain?

The toughest mountain to climb is the man himself

Quote Originally Posted by Sion
    The way for a pro to come down is to adseil with the cameras and L lenses hanging down his neck for weight.
    Ya ya.....pro my foot! Haha.....me not L lenses......only VRs

Quote Originally Posted by Pro Image
    Ya ya.....pro my foot! Haha.....me not L lenses......only VRs
    A Pro with VRs will have his own chopper to fly him and his equipments and the models down the mountain leh.

Quote Originally Posted by Benign
    The toughest mountain to climb is the man himself
    For that I have to add:

It take a woman to makes mountains.

A mountain is not a mountain. It's merely a huge lump of soil.

Quote Originally Posted by redstone
    A mountain is not a mountain. It's merely a huge lump of soil.
    So two lumps don't make a hugh mountain?

if you intend to go G.Tahan, must really go for training.
    usual up-down to 4 up 3 down.
    there are ppl that do 3 up 2 down.
    lotsa bees along part of the route,
    lotsa leeches half of the route.
    no clear drinking water for last part of the route.

definately an experience if you are looking for a tough climb.

KK is like the most commercial mountain in SEA la. ha.
    tallest commercial mountain that is. :P
    my friends go there to test if they might get mountain sickness before going for everest base camp.

Ophir is the 2nd hardest to climb in SEA ^^ no flight of stairs... quite nice to climb actually..
    but had to carry my fren bag..

actually mt kinabalu isn't tough to scale right? i read that it is really one of the easiest mt to climb.. i read sth that a 2 day package to reach the peak..and actually someone told me that reach the top in 1 day..

Someone adventurers can comment?
    We went there on a school trip years ago. We did it over 2 days, first day climbed to Sayat-sayat hut i think elevation is more then 10,000 feet. Next day, very early early morning we went to the summit. very nice climb. If you prefer hot/shower and fish and chips, i remembered they have that at laban rata resthouse i think that is a little below sayat-sayat.
    Also, i hear that they marathon up that mountain so i'm sure theres more then a few people who climbed it in a few hours...

Yes, pics will be nice...

Overall, good trip, if you can check out the Poring hot springs...

Quote Originally Posted by Ah_Seng
    Hkakabo Razi in Myanmar. The highest mountain in S.E.A at 5881 metres.
    Hi Ah Seng, is Hkakabo Razi open to public access? Isn't it closed to access to foreigners since 1962? At least thats what I found on the net......

If you know of a way to get pass the security, let me know..hehe
    A850, A7 + LA-EA4 ~ I fool around with photographic equipment more than photography itself ~

Quote Originally Posted by ben77
    Ophir is the 2nd hardest to climb in SEA
    LOL... dude, with your claim, either you must be joking or you never climb other mountain in SEA.

Quote Originally Posted by aloyteo
    thanks guys for the suggestions. rinjani seems like quite an active volcano, a bit dangerous to climb leh...
    It is not dangerous to climb a volcano if it's not erupting. It's even more fun to climb such volcano, because you could witness the activity of the volcano (e.g burning lava at night, or see the mountain coughing vulcanic stuff every few minutes, or even experience small volcano eruption). The mountain ranger will prevent you to climb when it's dangerous.

I and my friends experienced the volcano eruption when I climbed Mount Rinjani two years ago.
    The small volcano near Rinjani was erupted, not the mount Rinjani itself, of course.
    It started with loud explosion almost every hour and can feel the ground shaking.
    And finally, at night, about 2AM, the natural giant fireworks was revealed, with the volcano sending lava to the air. Fantastic!

Smaller scale of such thing can be witnessed daily on Mount Semeru too. It cough regularly and sends gas and volcanic ash every 15 minutes. Nice background for your summit victory photo hahahaha
    Last edited by popeye; 14th March 2006 at 03:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by popeye
    It is not dangerous to climb a volcano if it's not erupting. It's even more fun to climb such volcano, because you could witness the activity of the volcano (e.g burning lava at night, or see the mountain coughing vulcanic stuff every few minutes, or even experience small volcano eruption). The mountain ranger will prevent you to climb when it's dangerous.

I and my friends experienced the volcano eruption when I climbed Mount Rinjani two years ago.
    The small volcano near Rinjani was erupted, not the mount Rinjani itself, of course.
    It started with loud explosion almost every hour and can feel the ground shaking.
    And finally, at night, about 2AM, the natural giant fireworks was revealed, with the volcano sending lava to the air. Fantastic!

Smaller scale of such thing can be witnessed daily on Mount Semeru too. It cough regularly and sends gas and volcanic ash every 15 minutes. Nice background for your summit victory photo hahahaha
    wow! maybe i will try that someday... not many people have seen a volcano erupt right in front of their eyes!

I think Angsi was quite easy. Anyone climbed that before?

I lugged a 10kg plus haversack halfway up G. Panti few years ago, when I was still in sec sch.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast