View Poll Results: Which image software do you use more?

Voters
394. You may not vote on this poll
  • Gimp and Gimpshop and derivatives

    83 21.07%
  • Photoshop (include elements and all versions)

    291 73.86%
  • the stuff that came with the camera

    46 11.68%
  • irfanview, paintshop pro and other non adobe alternatives!

    37 9.39%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 121

Thread: GIMP vs Photoshop

  1. #101

    Wink Re: GIMP vs Photoshop

    Quote Originally Posted by slaam View Post
    read online that photoshop is one of the most sought after prog for linux.. which is interesting cos you would think that gimp will fulfill casual photoshop users..
    I have yet to meet a large bunch of ppl who die die have to use a PS feature not found in gimp ..
    what say you?
    There is always the saying that the best always not the best. or the good is not so good. I am a freelance photographer and over the past 10 yrs or so have covered many high profile events including F1 at Sepang,IR ground breaking, RC,CC events,elections,National Day e.t.c. I use GIMP for my photos. I downloaded from internet some time ago and started using and never regretted. do visit my site and see the photos www.krissubaphotography.blogspot.com Many of my customers include American Embassy,French Embassador, APEC delegates, Asian Summit. locals and expats. I cover all events from simple BBQ to elections,CNY dinner,HARI Raya, Deepavali dinner e.t.c.

    The only problem I have is lack of support from customers. After one event the customer disappear and return only after one year. I am now in 50's and seeking regular events. If anybody needs an assistant photographer to cover any event except wedding I am available. my email : elephant18@gmail.com

  2. #102
    Senior Member velasco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    PARISris , Singapore
    Posts
    2,627

    Default Re: GIMP vs Photoshop

    Quote Originally Posted by krissuba View Post
    There is always the saying that the best always not the best. or the good is not so good. I am a freelance photographer and over the past 10 yrs or so have covered many high profile events including F1 at Sepang,IR ground breaking, RC,CC events,elections,National Day e.t.c. I use GIMP for my photos. I downloaded from internet some time ago and started using and never regretted. do visit my site and see the photos www.krissubaphotography.blogspot.com Many of my customers include American Embassy,French Embassador, APEC delegates, Asian Summit. locals and expats. I cover all events from simple BBQ to elections,CNY dinner,HARI Raya, Deepavali dinner e.t.c.

    The only problem I have is lack of support from customers. After one event the customer disappear and return only after one year. I am now in 50's and seeking regular events. If anybody needs an assistant photographer to cover any event except wedding I am available. my email : elephant18@gmail.com

    Oh well. Firstly, this is not a thread to hijack and advertise your services.

    Secondly, with all due respect, I personally believe that the works which you have displayed on your blog is far from professional works- in terms of technicalities, artistry and aesthetic aspects. I am also left dubious by the indications of notable organizations in your clients listing above. I don't want to appear critical or judgemental but I really feel that one needs to produce a certain degree of standards moreso if their clients are prominent figures/organizations.

    Just urging you to reflect and perhaps you can conduct some kind of reality check. I'm just a hobbyist, but this is my sincere opinion.

    OT= I believe that Photoshop is very overrated. Jasc/ Corel Paintshop Pro Series's appreciation by the masses is long overdue
    Last edited by velasco; 3rd February 2009 at 12:14 PM.

  3. #103
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    454

    Default Re: GIMP vs Photoshop

    Where is lowest cost option to buy Photoshop CS4?

  4. #104
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Somewhere in little red dot
    Posts
    538

    Default Re: GIMP vs Photoshop

    Quote Originally Posted by mrericlee View Post
    Where is lowest cost option to buy Photoshop CS4?
    Student edition cost $99/-, check the website, need copy of a student pass

    http://www.mine.com.sg/mall/productlist/4891
    D300 & P5100 :bsmilie:

  5. #105

    Default Re: GIMP vs Photoshop

    wow $99?? that's cheap!
    LR 2 is more ex?? can't be yah?

  6. #106

    Default Re: GIMP vs Photoshop

    Quote Originally Posted by slaam View Post
    wow $99?? that's cheap!
    LR 2 is more ex?? can't be yah?
    Supposedly for academic (student, teacher etc) use only. Somemore is the whole bundle of Adobe software, not only Photoshop.

    Think they would rather you buy this then to go and download pirated version online, which they dun earn a single cent.

  7. #107

    Default Re: GIMP vs Photoshop

    Yes... BUT, NOT for commercial use - means cannot use it to do post processing and then sell it.

    It's more like getting you hooked and then force you to buy the full version if you want to sell your services.

  8. #108
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    serangoon gardens
    Posts
    16

    Default Re: GIMP vs Photoshop

    Hi

    i am new here.....what about PS Elements? cheaper than full PS

  9. #109

    Default Re: GIMP vs Photoshop

    Quote Originally Posted by benlong View Post
    Hi

    i am new here.....what about PS Elements? cheaper than full PS
    PS element price is reasonable.

  10. #110
    Member eng_keow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Mt Alvernia Hospital
    Posts
    1,022

    Default Re: GIMP vs Photoshop

    Photoshop is really good. I have been using CS2 but it does not support the newer formats. It is still good though. So sad that one cannot get the academic version unless a student or teacher. The original version has priced me out - SGD1200/-. How to afford this kinda prices if you are not using it for commercial gain.
    My Webspace
    ##See and listen with your heart, for beauty will reveal thyself##

  11. #111
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,717

    Default Re: GIMP vs Photoshop

    Is there a Lightroom academic version?

  12. #112

    Default Re: GIMP vs Photoshop

    Quote Originally Posted by eng_keow View Post
    Photoshop is really good. I have been using CS2 but it does not support the newer formats. It is still good though. So sad that one cannot get the academic version unless a student or teacher. The original version has priced me out - SGD1200/-. How to afford this kinda prices if you are not using it for commercial gain.
    If it's really for personal use, there neednt be more than one copy per household. I am sure there are enough students and acad staff to cover all households

  13. #113

    Default Re: GIMP vs Photoshop

    Quote Originally Posted by jacob View Post
    i think we should hv one sticky thread for gimp just like photoshop@www.

    who agreesss?
    Agree. I can use GIMP on my netbook, which means I can do touch up during travel

  14. #114

    Default Re: GIMP vs Photoshop

    Quote Originally Posted by kadeck View Post
    Agree. I can use GIMP on my netbook, which means I can do touch up during travel
    Dude..you replied to a 4 year old post..

  15. #115
    Member opzjon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Kovan, Singapore
    Posts
    75

    Default Re: GIMP vs Photoshop

    i use GIMP because it's free. If you have the bucks then go for Photoshop.

    But if you want to avoid major PP then start shooting nice pictures instead of fixing it later.

  16. #116

    Default Re: GIMP vs Photoshop

    Quote Originally Posted by Jango View Post
    Dude..you replied to a 4 year old post..
    hahah why not?
    both software are still ard and ppl are still learning (both i hope)
    Started this thread precisely for education + awareness.


  17. #117

    Default Re: GIMP vs Photoshop

    Definitely Photoshop, it is also especially because of the 64 bit support and the tons of plugins.

  18. #118

    Default Re: GIMP vs Photoshop

    Some people say it is better because you dont have to pay through your teeth to get it or you dont have to pirate it but IMO photoshop is alot better than GIMP. I find gimp very slow and hard to use but im sure some people would say the opposite

    ----------------------------------------------------
    Kerastase
    Kerastase Reflection

  19. #119

    Default Re: GIMP vs Photoshop

    this is like comparing apple to orange...
    gimp is free opensource software, sure it has it own limitations, but in hand of an artist, it will be usefull...

    Photoshop, in other hand is an industry standart for design, multimedia & VFX but also expensive, not everyone can afford to buy, that where an application like gimp (or blender for 3d apl) is a godsend..

  20. #120

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by benlong
    Hi

    i am new here.....what about PS Elements? cheaper than full PS
    Hi guys , I haven't use Gimp so I don't know lot about Gimp but normally any kind of freeware for photography can do normal adjustments and touch up. In my view Photoshop is designed for beginners to pro level standard. If you are only looking for a software that can let you adjust normal color/ contrast/brightness/ normal photo retouch than such freewares are enough for you but if you want to do extreme and normal photo manipulation/adding effects on photo/digital painting/ drawing/sketching/ normal photo animations/ photo retouch and enhance/ creating HDR images with normal various exposer photos/liquifying images u should choose Photoshop.either you buy or pirate it up to you.may b Gimp doesn't have "liquify/puppet wrap/ content aware/ wrap" etc etc features.conclusion:- know the purpose of software and what kind of software you are looking for.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •