Thread: Anyone taking psychology in NUS or NTU ?

freshwinter
    Guests

Default Anyone taking psychology in NUS or NTU ?

Hey,

Anyone taking psychology in NUS or NTU ? Need advice !

Default Re: Anyone taking psychology in NUS or NTU ?

wat kind of advice do u need? i dun take psy but i do have alot of friends who are there....

u can check the NUS thread...does NTU have psy? i;m not too sure about this.....

freshwinter
    Guests

yar....found out that to be a certified psychologist i would need to study 6 years ( 2 years master ) .... so wanna know more and consider carefully first b4 taking....

I dun, but I can provide some info here.. hope it can be of some help to u.

NUS and NTU do offer psych. NTU only started this yr or last i think. In short, the history of psych courses is short here. Although psych is an interesting course and u should enjoy it if u do study it at NUS or elsewhere, I must caution that compared to other more established unis overseas, the psych course here is young and very inexperience.

The future of psych here is not great, if u are thinking of going into the field itself. Standards are very much lower here too. Over here, with an Honors degree (avg 4 yrs), u can be called a psychologist. (But most will end up doing other kinds of non-related work.) No such thing in most other countries. In the US, u usally need a Ph.D. So inclusive of your undergrad studies, it should take u at least 10-12 yrs of study to be professional certified! U also need to clock in certain amt of time to practice. And u need to be certified or properly licensed. This is not the case in singapore. Even the Psychological Associaiton here i think is pretty much "useless"... They mainly accept members and organize talks but there is nothing done in terms of professional work or recognition.

Most local psych graduates end up in areas like admin (non related to psych), social work or counselling. Not quite related to the degree itself.

All in all, should be an interesting course to enjoy. But if u are dead serious about the profession, u should seriously look overseas and maybe even consider working there?

Quote Originally Posted by David
    I dun, but I can provide some info here.. hope it can be of some help to u.

NUS and NTU do offer psych. NTU only started this yr or last i think. In short, the history of psych courses is short here. Although psych is an interesting course and u should enjoy it if u do study it at NUS or elsewhere, I must caution that compared to other more established unis overseas, the psych course here is young and very inexperience.

The future of psych here is not great, if u are thinking of going into the field itself. Standards are very much lower here too. Over here, with an Honors degree (avg 4 yrs), u can be called a psychologist. (But most will end up doing other kinds of non-related work.) No such thing in most other countries. In the US, u usally need a Ph.D. So inclusive of your undergrad studies, it should take u at least 10-12 yrs of study to be professional certified! U also need to clock in certain amt of time to practice. And u need to be certified or properly licensed. This is not the case in singapore. Even the Psychological Associaiton here i think is pretty much "useless"... They mainly accept members and organize talks but there is nothing done in terms of professional work or recognition.

Most local psych graduates end up in areas like admin (non related to psych), social work or counselling. Not quite related to the degree itself.

All in all, should be an interesting course to enjoy. But if u are dead serious about the profession, u should seriously look overseas and maybe even consider working there?
    Well said! I ended up as a Psychophotographer.

Actually, it's entirely true that standards in Singapore is lower. It depends on what field you're looking at.

Contrary to opinion, you can only become a registered Psychologist with an Honours IF you have clocked a few hundred hours of psychological practice or published a paper in any academic journal. The usual entry requirement is with a Masters Degree, since it would usually entail a protracted attachment to real psychological work or result in a thesis that has to be published academically.

Furthermore, to continue to be registered, the psychologist has to be engaged in related work for a minimum few hundred hours every year or have published a paper(s) in academic journals. Thus, you do unrelated employment as a registered psychologists, you won't be registered for very long.

The alternative is to get registered overseas with American Psychology Association, British Psychology Society or Australian Psychology Association, although they usually register only students who have graduated from a university from their country, but the standards of entry and sustaining membership are actually LOWER than Singapore.

It does seems to be that every other psychology-trained practitioner is in counselling or social work in Singapore. However, there are many other fields, such as clinical psychology, educational psychology and forensic psychology that are employed by various ministries, such as MINDEF, MOE and MHA. The real problem is not the variety of work, but the availability. There are very few job openings. Singapore has not reached the psychological maturity, so to speak, of western natures, at employing psychological assistance. We've a very fundamentally engineering nd business oriented educational system, where other countries have expanded on humanities.

Go into Psychology if you think you're serious in pursuing this field, as it's not something as employable as business or engineering. You can't enter the course, do half-past-six and expect to get a job coz the competition is very stiff. Furthermore, research and psychology work is by its nature a very passion-based vocation, if you're not really interested (or find that you dislike it after a while), chances are you will not turn out good work. Most psychology graduates actually pursue other vocations because they find out that they're not cut out for psychology work or they think the pay is too low for all that trouble. And either way, they're right.

hello, im doing psychology with Central Queensland Uni.

i agree with some points stated above. Psychology is a pretty intensive course (at least, in my school lah). lots of readings to be done, theories upon theories. im not so sure how it is conducted in NUS/NTU. but yes you've got to have the passion for psychology before embarking on it else there is a very high risk that you might just drop out of the course halfway. everytime i pass a semester, my class seems smaller. all kena pulled back. -.-" haha!

im thankful that i love what im doing and that keeps me going (especially in times of deadlines and examinations!). as for job opportunities, i think knowing where to look (i often check various hospitals websites such as KKH and Mt E for any job vacancies) and having network connections would make things much easier. befriend lecturers (who usually should be a certified psychologist?), ask for internships (do we call them internships) at IMH/MINDS/wherever. i mean, if you really want to go into this, im sure you will find means and ways to ensure you get a job there (especially after spending so much $$$ on your education). i know, cuz i searched like crazy even before i've graduated. lol.

just my 2cents worth lah.

Quote Originally Posted by Yezrah
    Well said! I ended up as a Psychophotographer.
    Haha... So u grad in Psychology?

It's very disappointing here... Psychology is seen more as an academic thingy rather than a respected profession. For people in need of someone to listen to, they wil turn to a counsellor or maybe social worker, who are sometimes volunteers. (Read betn the lines: u are paid little or not at all!) To go into this fields as a psychologist seems like an overkill. If u do major as a counselling psyvchologist with a professional training, even worse. I dun think anyone here will want to employ u and pay u with a professional degree holder's pay.

In worse case scenarios, people in need of help bypass all this and go straight to a doctor or psychiatrist. Psychologists don't play a big role in treating mental illnesses. I doubt the situation will improve much over the years. Bad...
    Last edited by David; 23rd February 2006 at 10:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by simplicity_
    hello, im doing psychology with Central Queensland Uni.

i agree with some points stated above. Psychology is a pretty intensive course (at least, in my school lah). lots of readings to be done, theories upon theories. im not so sure how it is conducted in NUS/NTU. but yes you've got to have the passion for psychology before embarking on it else there is a very high risk that you might just drop out of the course halfway. everytime i pass a semester, my class seems smaller. all kena pulled back. -.-" haha!

im thankful that i love what im doing and that keeps me going (especially in times of deadlines and examinations!). as for job opportunities, i think knowing where to look (i often check various hospitals websites such as KKH and Mt E for any job vacancies) and having network connections would make things much easier. befriend lecturers (who usually should be a certified psychologist?), ask for internships (do we call them internships) at IMH/MINDS/wherever. i mean, if you really want to go into this, im sure you will find means and ways to ensure you get a job there (especially after spending so much $$$ on your education). i know, cuz i searched like crazy even before i've graduated. lol.

just my 2cents worth lah.
    good to find someone else with a passion for psychology. i discovered my interest too late and was only able to take up a part time course with Open University via SIM. I've been at it for the past 6 years and the hard work at digging through theories, research papers and methodology does gradually sublimate into my perspective of life.

NUS psychology course primarily focuses on clinical psychology. they place a lot of emphasis on empiricism, methodology, statistics and research writing. I personally find it a shame, because the beauty of psychology is the humanity factor. Striped down to a science, it becomes a half-baked subject, neither able to generalise its findings to a world of individuals nor practically applicable in its search for the impossibly elusive truths hidden behind the mystery of the human soul.

For local job opportunities, you can try Singapore Psychology Society's career page http://www.singaporepsychologicalsoc...employment.cfm. It is infrequently updated but does have some interesting opportunities once in a while.

good luck