Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Camera recommendations

Default Re: Camera recommendations

What I heard was that higher ISO can reduce shakey images but higher ISO also means more noise. And I know that IS isn't gonna totally remove shakes but surely it does help rite? If not why have it in the first place? I seldom shoot in low light conditions, so going by what metallilan said, the IS should still be quite useful to me.

IS is good at long focal lengths and when handheld, no doubt about that. It works beautifully when you have good nice and bright weather. for compacts with only 3X zoom do you really need it?

Change of scenario, inside a building or resturant. you want to shoot some people at a dinner table for gathering, etc.. using high ISO is a nono becos you know the pictures will be noisy beyond your imagination, but wait! you have OIS/IS that allows you to shoot 2-3 stops slower than the recommended 1/focal length rule.

So you set ISO100, meter, focus and get 1/6 shutter. cool. OIS/IS turned ON and waiting for 'the moment' for something to happen. Someone tells a joke and everyone is laughing with their mouths open! Fantastic shot! Release shutter.. background is tack sharp and correctly exposed but hey wait! how come the person's face/hand/etc.. is suffering from motion blur?

same scene, with F11. set ISO800, 3 stops gained, from 1/6 your shutter becomes 1/50.
    Motion blur greatly reduced. Everything correctly exposed and sharp.

Summary: IS/OIS is good if you shoot low-light and at stationary objects. For people, who move about it's not recommended. It is more adaptly suitable for panning objects where you want fluid smooth background panning shots.
    Clean high ISO output from F11 can shoot stationary objects in low light and also up to some form of movement tolerance with increased shutter speed. This will 'freeze' the picture. It cannot produce the kind of fluid flowing lines in a panning shot compared to IS enabled cams.

Your choice, if you do tremendous amount of panning or you shoot a lot after work at night.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

is you want to push it to ISO1600 you can get 1/100 shutter speed but the pictures will loose a bit of details but it is still very noise free.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay
    IS is good at long focal lengths and when handheld, no doubt about that. It works beautifully when you have good nice and bright weather. for compacts with only 3X zoom do you really need it?

Change of scenario, inside a building or resturant. you want to shoot some people at a dinner table for gathering, etc.. using high ISO is a nono becos you know the pictures will be noisy beyond your imagination, but wait! you have OIS/IS that allows you to shoot 2-3 stops slower than the recommended 1/focal length rule.

So you set ISO100, meter, focus and get 1/6 shutter. cool. OIS/IS turned ON and waiting for 'the moment' for something to happen. Someone tells a joke and everyone is laughing with their mouths open! Fantastic shot! Release shutter.. background is tack sharp and correctly exposed but hey wait! how come the person's face/hand/etc.. is suffering from motion blur?

same scene, with F11. set ISO800, 3 stops gained, from 1/6 your shutter becomes 1/50.
    Motion blur greatly reduced. Everything correctly exposed and sharp.

Summary: IS/OIS is good if you shoot low-light and at stationary objects. For people, who move about it's not recommended. It is more adaptly suitable for panning objects where you want fluid smooth background panning shots.
    Clean high ISO output from F11 can shoot stationary objects in low light and also up to some form of movement tolerance with increased shutter speed. This will 'freeze' the picture. It cannot produce the kind of fluid flowing lines in a panning shot compared to IS enabled cams.

Your choice, if you do tremendous amount of panning or you shoot a lot after work at night.
    I'm eyeing the Panasonic TZ1 so its 10x optical not 3x. As for the type of "work" I do, I'd say its mostly snapping at road shows which are sometimes indoors sometimes outdoors. Outdoors definitely no issue with light. Indoors also not that bad 'cos the stage is usually brightly lit. As for the subjects, well sometimes celebs stay still, sometimes they move around. Hard to predict.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123