Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Camera recommendations

Default Re: Camera recommendations

Casio Exilim EX-Z110 cost only S$459 CP price.

Got 6MP, Anti Shake DSP, uses AA batt, 6cm macro. Quite compact considering that it uses AA batteries.
    search me on Google "simonKLgoh"

Now casio cams are getting better and better
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

Fujifilm F11. good pix....good ISO...but not image stabiliser

Quote Originally Posted by wheek
    A big thank you to those who had previously assisted me with the 10x optical zoom query. But the Canon Powershot was just way over my budget.

Have since given up on the "maximum zoom" demand. Now I'm just happy with a 3x optical zoom camera. HOWEVER, I do have some preference lah.

1. MUST have image stabiliser, preferably optical as I heard its better?
    2. At least 5 mpixel but the more the better.
    3. As compact as possible.

Have been recommended 2 so far. One is the Olympus Mju800. My fren got it for over $600 which I feel is damn cheap for a 8mpixel cam. But its stabiliser is digital.

The other I was recommended was Sony DSC-T9. List price is $799 & is 6mpixel "only" however its stabiliser is optical.

Any other models to recommend?

Speaking of the F11, the F30's coming soon too with ISO up to 3200.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

Quote Originally Posted by solarii
    The only range I can think of that fits yr technical requirements is the panasonic lumix range, but they come in at ard 5 to 6 MP.
    That sounds ok. I mean if the zoom is 6x & above like the latest Panasonic I was recommended, then 5MP is more than enuf. Its only if the zoom is only 3x that I was told a higher MP is good for cropping.

Is optical IS that much more effective than digital IS? Because so far the Olympus mju810 seems to suit my budget best just that its using digital IS instead of optical.

Optical image stabilization means either moving the lens or sensor to compensate for the shake. Digital IS generally means bumping up the ISO value to allow shooting at a higher ISO value. IMO, optical definitely much better.

I would go for one of the Panasonic Lumix cameras. Their IS works, and if you are new to photography, they are generaly very intuitive to use. Take a look at the Lumix FZ5, which has IS, 12X zoom with a Leica lens and 5 MP. Because the upgrade FZ7 is coming out, you can get an FZ5 for about $600 brand new. Check out http://www.ipointworld.com/ebay/price/dc/

Good luck

Same as zooms. Optical zooms are the real zooms without losing picture quality. Digital zooms are just magnifying the image so a loss of picture quality is inevitable.

So far I think only Sony & Panasonic have optical IS in their compact cams?

So far I think only Sony & Panasonic have optical IS in their compact cams?
    konica minolta's dynax 5d has built in IS... all panasonic models have IS... canon has their IS for their S2 and VR on their lenses[i think? not familiar with DSLR stuff]. sony, if i can remember they have IS for some of their models but its unknown to me which one...

Quote Originally Posted by metallilan
    konica minolta's dynax 5d has built in IS... all panasonic models have IS... canon has their IS for their S2 and VR on their lenses[i think? not familiar with DSLR stuff]. sony, if i can remember they have IS for some of their models but its unknown to me which one...
    dynax is the bulky one rite? Sigh! Looks like its just between Sony & Panasonic. S2 also pretty bulky.

dynax is the bulky one rite? Sigh! Looks like its just between Sony & Panasonic. S2 also pretty bulky.
    dynax is 'bulky' cuz its a dslr..

S2 and FZ5 are the megazooms..they're bigger than the usual pns & compacts but the zoom and the manual settings are the appealing part of it. don't expect the iso to be ultra-perfect in night conditions..remember that they're still 'compacts' and they still inherit some of their characteristic's of their compact siblings[exception is fujifilm..iso damn power sia..]

i tot oni Panasonic compact got IS? d rest not tt compact...

Sony, Panasonic, Nikon, Konica-Minolta, etc den got IS in prosumer cams?

Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz
    i tot oni Panasonic compact got IS? d rest not tt compact...

Sony, Panasonic, Nikon, Konica-Minolta, etc den got IS in prosumer cams?
    panasonic all the cam's got IS ar....

Canon also have a new compact called the IXUS800 IS.

Quote Originally Posted by metallilan
    panasonic all the cam's got IS ar....
    yap, i kno, i think i put Panasonic's name by mistake...

DMC-TZ1 supposedly available in Australia in April and will sell for A$659. Hope they don't jack up the price too much when it hits our shores.

DMC-TZ1 supposedly available in Australia in April and will sell for A$659. Hope they don't jack up the price too much when it hits our shores.
    Gd cam, it's got a 10X optical zoom!

good luck.. i see a lot of mis-leading information in here and half-thruths mixed with myths.

anyway, I'll just recommend you the fuji F11. it's more than enough for your specs and IS/OIS/VR on P&S are over-hyped technologies that is hardly useful in day to day shooting.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay
    good luck.. i see a lot of mis-leading information in here and half-thruths mixed with myths.

anyway, I'll just recommend you the fuji F11. it's more than enough for your specs and IS/OIS/VR on P&S are over-hyped technologies that is hardly useful in day to day shooting.
    depends on the situation. F11 is good, yes, because of its high iso. the IS function is only good for anything other than low light conditions. IS has been tested and proven so theres not really anything to be over-hyped about. they're there to provide support for the megazoom categories of camera.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast