Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: National Service for Woman - my Humble Opinion

Originally posted by zOOm
    just for interest, perhaps this is closely linked to the topic;
    what if they make it compulsory? will singaporen women migrate, married oversea?
    I won't deliberately migrate, etc, for this reason. If it's compulsory, in true S'porean spirit, I'll obey loh!

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: National Service for Woman - my Humble Opinion

what if they make it compulosry?
    if its compulsory - then no choice lor. but I think I am definitely way pass the age limit liao heheheeeeee

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: National Service for Woman - my Humble Opinion

no no no, I really don't that gals should only do this.
    all this while, those things are done by guys themselves.
    but if guys going out for war or digging & mending ruins of disaster, saving people lives.

wouldn't it be good if gals do the backline support, unless, they are too keen to go fighting in the war too.

women can also step in to help manage/organize the chaotic war/disaster situation; it not easy.

hmm ... tough woman you are

pyshological aspact of war/disaster, true, so who can help to manage while guys are out fighting or saving people out of ruins.
    when i said if war or disaster happens - we just got to deal with it & use whatever skills or common sense we've got right. No amount of training or daily practice at home as a housewife can ever be enough preparation if the **** hits the fan then

Default Re: Re: Re: National Service for Woman - my Humble Opinion

togu,
    tend to agree with you too
    nowadays, NS like holiday camp. compare to the times when first few batches of NS was trained by Israsel soldiers, its very very relaxing already.

but let's not veer off & focus on the national service for female in this thread, could you? start a new thread if you must. Thanks!
    Well Zoom, obviously I know I'm not sticking to the topic, I'm just reminding you that there's some question mark in the way you phrase your question.

taking into consideration that generally most singaporean women nowadays (pls correct me if I'm wrong) don't even know how to cook properly, mend clothes and might even faint at the sight of blood or dirt, stench.
    Is that what you think women are for? And I doubt how many NS male had actually see some bloody scenes during the 2 years, beside their own.

If you are talking about survior skills for women, a few mths of survivor, outward bound course is definitely more then enough for majority. For those who wish to contribute their part, the current voluntary scheme works well.

And thanks, I have no intention to start a new thread, that's definitely not "constructive" for the forum, to have so many identical threads flowing around.

Cheers.

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: National Service for Woman - my Humble Opinion

tend not to agree; when war / disaster happens, every bit of training / daily practice / experience counts. not everyone is inborn with great sense of intelligence / resourcefulness (especially those who haven't been thru hardtimes and have been living in comfortably with all their path all planned ahead for them)

example, why firedrill is conducted regularly, why contingency plans gotta be drilled thru at least once a year? although many do not take them seriously, but they will come to appreciate when the situation actually happens.

Originally posted by lavenderlilz

when i said if war or disaster happens - we just got to deal with it & use whatever skills or common sense we've got right. No amount of training or daily practice at home as a housewife can ever be enough preparation if the **** hits the fan then

Trust me, gals can be tougher than you thought in times of critical situations...

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: National Service for Woman - my Humble Opinion

tend not to agree; when war / disaster happens, every bit of training / daily practice / experience counts. not everyone is inborn with great sense of intelligence / resourcefulness (especially those who haven't been thru hardtimes and have been living in comfortably with all their path all planned ahead for them)

example, why firedrill is conducted regularly, why contingency plans gotta be drilled thru at least once a year? although many do not take them seriously, but they will come to appreciate when the situation actually happens.
    agree that nobody takes fire drill seriously - me look forward to firedrill in the building as it means i don't have to work for 2 hours! hehe

maybe they would appreciate it if the situation actually happens. But let's hope it never does.

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: National Service for Woman - my Humble Opinion

Originally posted by togu

Is that what you think women are for? And I doubt how many NS male had actually see some bloody scenes during the 2 years, beside their own.
    purely personal opinon, I don't represent all the singaporean guys

Originally posted by togu
    If you are talking about survior skills for women, a few mths of survivor, outward bound course is definitely more then enough for majority. For those who wish to contribute their part, the current voluntary scheme works well.
    Cheers.
    OBS is "peanuts" (as long as you are moderately fit) when compared to jungle training in Brunei / thailand.

no offence, OBS, is generally considered a "holiday camp" for those who have not experience living outdoor

anyway, I'm not refering to surviving skills for oneself, but skills to help the country / society in needy times.

hmmm ... is that's all the replies we have?!! LOLz
    so to sum-up

- gals here feels that attending home eco schools & OBS is sufficient to for them handle all needy situations

- gals here don't want to volunteer unless it is compulsary; certainly hope they don't protest or organize WAP (Woman action party) if it was made compulsary.

- gals here want to be treated fairly and wants hold those exciting position like pilot & operating high-tech equipment (gosh! not even all guys can even make it to become a pilot); but no mention if they are willing to dig trenches along with guys

- gals here are generally high confident of handling any unknown situation without any experience (I won't even dare to said that)

- guys here are generally shy or they are afraid of "HEAT"?

JaDe
    Guests

German when under Hitler's rule...Male are born to become a soldier to fight the war for his countre, female are born to give birth to more males to fight for his country...
    Female who gives birth to 6 or more children will be given a golden badge...

hmmm ... is that's all the replies we have?!! LOLz
    so to sum-up
    You clearly have already the conclusions you wanted to present from the very moment you started this thread. You were merely doing nothing more than fishing for the answers you want to hear; everyone else who holds a different line of thought is asked to start a new thread, or you were selective in replying to what you thought you could twist around.

This post is full of fallacies, jumping to conclusions, and twisting words said by others. Furthermore you have the audacity to come to a conclusion based on a sample size of a few ladies out of the few million Singaporeans and trumpet it as the truth. My logic professor is going to have a field day with this thread.

This topic has brought out some bigoted people who lack the cognitive ability to properly analyse and debate the situation at hand, and merely reduce it as a means to impose their chauvanist ideals on other people.

This is my last post in this and related threads; I fail to see any reward in participating further.
    Last edited by YSLee; 24th November 2002 at 01:53 AM.

Originally posted by YSLee

You clearly have already the conclusions you wanted to present from the very moment you started this thread. You were merely doing nothing more than fishing for the answers you want to hear; everyone else who holds a different line of thought is asked to start a new thread, or you were selective in replying to what you thought you could twist around.

This post is full of fallacies, jumping to conclusions, and twisting words said by others. Furthermore you have the audacity to come to a conclusion based on a sample size of a few ladies out of the few million Singaporeans and trumpet it as the truth. My logic professor is going to have a field day with this thread.

This topic has brought out some bigoted people who lack the cognitive ability to properly analyse and debate the situation at hand, and merely reduce it as a means to impose their chauvanist ideals on other people.

This is my last post in this and related threads; I fail to see any reward in participating further.

JaDe
    Guests

cool down YSLEE...
    i suppose he did it out of fun...
    Hahaha...actually Zoom shouldn't use the term guys or gals here...almost everyday guyz n girlz in the world....are...the...SAME

totally agreed....why do u start a thread like this if u cannot take opinions...does everyone who reply to this thread has to agree with u?? does that mean they cannot have a mind of their own??? asking everyone who doesn't agree to start another thread clearly shows that u only wan others the support watever u said...anyway, u are a real MCP to me...do u really think women are that weak? come on....i would dare say that there are men that are weaker then women... get a life...

JaDe
    Guests

hahaha....post him the world's strongest women video ???
    a few women competing...including carrying a 80+kg bag n walk for a few kilometres...
    n oso...watch those female wrestlers ?
    lolz...
    juz a joke...no offence~

Originally posted by JaDe
    hahaha....post him the world's strongest women video ???
    a few women competing...including carrying a 80+kg bag n walk for a few kilometres...
    n oso...watch those female wrestlers ?
    lolz...
    juz a joke...no offence~
    GOSH! You call them a WOMAN?

cool down YSLEE...
    i suppose he did it out of fun...
    Hahaha...actually Zoom shouldn't use the term guys or gals here...almost everyday guyz n girlz in the world....are...the...SAME
    I don't think YSLee is angry at all;
    I started these becoz I'm curious on views from singaporean men & women about the topic. instead people started to talk about MONEY, what equipment, what post they want to hold EVEN before we agree if on the merits / demerits of national service for women

its quite a disappointment.

HUH? have you seen the world already? I haven't, I can say that people all around the world are not the same, at least in their values, beliefs, cultures

I started the thread with my opinions why it is good for women to do national service; but people here start to preach about money, gender equality and post they wants to hold.

this is totally irrevelant to me; and to me, you have also planted your own conclusion about this thread right from the beginning. of course, you have the rights to your own opinion, I leave to you at it.

I observe many people here have the tendency to veer off ther main topic. seen it everywhere in this forum; of course you may disagree, be my guest.

I have tried to make the opinons inline with the main topic; hmmm ... maybe this method didn't work even got misunderstood. oh well *shrugged* nothing I can do

*chuckle* there wasn't really a conclusion, merely a summary what's been feedback. why taken so seriously huh?
    did I impose my chauvanist on others? my thousand apologises; didn't felt that I did; errrr... btw, are you a man or woman?

there isn't any good for me to continue furthue either, people either do a to agree with you (possibly they have nothing more to say) or addition comments to your existing "excellent" conclusion.
    Last edited by zOOm; 24th November 2002 at 12:31 PM.

heh, malaysia also make national service compulsory already.

lalallalala

- gals here feels that attending home eco schools & OBS is sufficient to for them handle all needy situations
    Nope I didn't say that.

gals here don't want to volunteer unless it is compulsary; certainly hope they don't protest or organize WAP (Woman action party) if it was made compulsary.
    I did say I won't want to volunteer...but i already said there will certainly be others who would. The way you put is seems so much of a sweeping statement.

- gals here want to be treated fairly and wants hold those exciting position like pilot & operating high-tech equipment (gosh! not even all guys can even make it to become a pilot); but no mention if they are willing to dig trenches along with guys.
    I only said those who have the ability should take these positions. There ARE women pilots, mind you. And I did say those with enough stamina and a good enough physique can join the combat side with the guys - and that does not exclude digging trenches.

- gals here are generally high confident of handling any unknown situation without any experience (I won't even dare to said that)
    Just because YOU don't dare to say that doesn't mean we can't be confident enough to say so.

If this is the way my contributions to your thread are going to be interpreted (through tinted glasses and unfairly), I truly regret responding to your thread.

I said something to that effect but I don't think this is representative of all the gals who have posted here.

- gals here don't want to volunteer unless it is compulsary; certainly hope they don't protest or organize WAP (Woman action party) if it was made compulsary.
    I didn't say I don't want to volunteer or imply that all girls don't want to volunteer. All I said was that if its compulsory - its not a question of choice.

- gals here want to be treated fairly and wants hold those exciting position like pilot & operating high-tech equipment (gosh! not even all guys can even make it to become a pilot); but no mention if they are willing to dig trenches along with guys

ALL i said was that we would just have to deal with it when the situation arises. Who ever said anything about confidence?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast