Thread: A huge pleasant surprise of lenses!

Default A huge pleasant surprise of lenses!

yesterday, 18 Feb, i met up with Gerlim in SBG to try out his Leica 100mm macro APO lens. unfortunately, it was raining very heavily in the evening so we didn't get much chance to thoroughly test out the Leica.

what surprised me was Gerlim brought along many other lenses, namely Carl Zeiss Jena 35mm 2.4, Carl Zeiss 85mm 1.4 & 135 2.8.

first we compared the adaptors used on our E cameras, Gerlim uses E300.

his was from in China & mine was from Japan.

next we tested the Jena 35mm. it can focus really close!! i was only like 2 inches away from the subject. have a look.

the first one was at F2.4 max aperture.

the next one was at F5.6.

upon closer inspection, there r some purple fringing but the lens is still very useable.

next we tried out the Leica 100mm macro APO, 1:2. its a 2.8 lens & its build like a tank!! the colour was punchy & images very nice. quite a big diff from my Elmarit 90mm.

before i go any further, i have to say that this not any test. its juz a casual outing but not fruitful cos of the rain.

the images r not PS at all juz resized for web display. all pics r as is w/o cropping.

due to the heavy rain, Gerlim & i were hiding in the shelter of Orchid Garden. there i tested the CZ 135mm & the 85mm.

first the CZ 135 at 4.5.

not too bad & its like my Elmarit, sharp but not too revealing, good for portraits.

next i tried the 85mm, and at F1.4, the VF is very very bright!! thot i was going to be blinded by it.

very good lens!! & sorry, i didn't have any interesting subject.

thats all i have for u guys. must thank Gerlim for his generousity of the lenses!!

THANK YOU!!

looking forward to meeting up again to do a more comprehensive test on the Leica 100mm APO.

Default Re: A huge pleasant surprise of lenses!

Pai Seh Leh! The Thank you so big!

Anyway, it was good fun to meet up with U! The rain spoiled it a little but can try again in a few weeks time!

Quote Originally Posted by nightpiper
    yesterday, 18 Feb, i met up with Gerlim in SBG to try out his Leica 100mm macro APO lens. unfortunately, it was raining very heavily in the evening so we didn't get much chance to thoroughly test out the Leica.

what surprised me was Gerlim brought along many other lenses, namely Carl Zeiss Jena 35mm 2.4, Carl Zeiss 85mm 1.4 & 135 2.8.

first we compared the adaptors used on our E cameras, Gerlim uses E300.

his was from in China & mine was from Japan.

next we tested the Jena 35mm. it can focus really close!! i was only like 2 inches away from the subject. have a look.

the first one was at F2.4 max aperture.

the next one was at F5.6.

upon closer inspection, there r some purple fringing but the lens is still very useable.
    Hope , You are the one I met (E1 & E300 cameras) on 18th at SBG.

Quote Originally Posted by abhivachan
    Gerlim = XL
    Nightpiper = M

Yes...we are the ones you met

I am sure we will meet up again .... somewhere!

hi abhivachan, sorry i forgot to mention that we bumped into u. definitely great to meet another E users from CS in SBG. post some of ur stuff also & we can see what we missed in the rain.

did ur friend post his shot of the crimson sunbird?

No Issues. My friend not yet submitted the pic in his website http://www.amitdutta.com

I spent less than an hour in SBG. Here's my pics.

good effort there abhivachan. need more practice cos i see many pics r out of focus, how about getting the ZD 50mm. next time stay longer & shoot more pics, with more pics the chances r higher with keepers.

so how do u like the E500? looks small & portable.

btw, ur friend has some nice pics in his gallery.

good effort there abhivachan. need more practice cos i see many pics r out of focus, how about getting the ZD 50mm. next time stay longer & shoot more pics, with more pics the chances r higher with keepers.

Thanks for the comments for my pic. I informed to my friend about your comments about his site.

I agree with you.The truth is, Due to heat, I have the pain in my eyes (still I have). My mistake Still I continued and shoot the pics.

edited: Added the below lines
    I have checked with few of my friends(pros), they have mentioned nothing wrong in the focus. Are you talking about the shallow depth of field? I have also double checked with wearing the glass, so far I dont find any issues. By the way I am using the Autofocus and not manual focus.
    Last edited by abhivachan; 21st February 2006 at 05:19 PM.

Shooting should not be a hit and miss affair.

Quote Originally Posted by Hacker
    Shooting should not be a hit and miss affair.
    I can't understand. sorry

Hacker means that try to make each shot count, and not shooting and shooting hoping that a few turn out good.

Sometimes one has only that fleeting moment to get THE shot of the lifetime. Better make that first one count.

But in the meantime... gotta practice practice practice!

Could you pls tell me, how many are out of focus?

Quote Originally Posted by drakon09
    Hacker means that try to make each shot count, and not shooting and shooting hoping that a few turn out good.

Sometimes one has only that fleeting moment to get THE shot of the lifetime. Better make that first one count.

But in the meantime... gotta practice practice practice!
    Thanks for the explanation, I am not that kind of person.

Could you pls tell me, how many are out of focus?
    i cud juz be me but i see the 1st flower shot not sharp & the 2nd shot not sharp enuf (too little DOF to cover the whole structure pattern) the rest r pretty spot on.

i also not very sure of Hacker's comment, but after attending John Isaac's seminar, i wudn't be contended with juz 1 or 2 good shots even if its a once in a lifetime image. his advice was to shoot more in the same environment & play around more with the same theme, u will be surprise how many more keepers there will be.

What I meant is that taking photos should not be taken blindly and hoping that among the huge number of photos, there will be some that will be some for keepers.

That said, we should take many shots that are good, even from the same angle or using different exposures, etc so that we have a variety to choose from, the good from the excellent, so to speak.

ahh.. yes, thats what i meant. take many good shots & there will be many more excellent ones.

hacker, added any juicy lenses lately?

ahh.. yes, thats what i meant. take many good shots & there will be many more excellent ones.

hacker, added any juicy lenses lately?
    No Oly lenses leh.... Maybe when CZ introduces for Nikon mount.