52 18.71%
  • Tripod

226 81.29%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Monopod or Tripod??

Default Re: Monopod or Tripod??

Quote Originally Posted by EiRiK
    serves quite diff purposes.
    cant use a monopod to take night shots... but its certainly more practical when shooting stage events
    Yes that's it. Cos for events the spece around is extremely limited so a tripod is not practical for this case.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

I go on group tours alot, and have successfully use both tripod and monopod for events. If you wanna use a tripod, you need to be very efficient in opening and carrying with it. I will sometimes carry the camera stuck on a good ballhead with the correct plate that you can trust, then travel and want around with your body on it. Once you reach a place, quickly put down snapped.

If you are going to scenic places such as streams, rapids, waterfalls, mountain tops, big fields, you need a tripod no matter want. Reason being you need to get effects from the waterfalls, clouds and ice movement on mountains, swaying of the grass, flowers on the fields etc.

Also night photography will require only a tripod. I've a very bad experience before and bring only a monopod with me to a night at the sydney opera house. That night there was a wedding going on and the fireworks blast through the opera house like bright day light. Because of the absence of a tripod, all my slides turn out too soft.

Invest in a lightweight but durable tripod, cost me about $300 10 years back. I've posted before somewhere on the ergonomics of using a 4 sections, 1kg tripod for its size and weight to withstand wind and heavy body by adjusting the weight distribution and legs. I've been using it since old film days and have travel with it to CH, FI, DE, KR, CN, IN and many other countries which I can't remember.

I believe the new manfrotto tripod allows even quicker adjustment of the legs but I'm skceptical about its sturdiness.

Quote Originally Posted by armadillo
    ofcource if you carry tripod I don't think you need monopod any more
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle
    Not true, different situations have better uses for each type.
    Since Tripod can be use as monopod, so my statement shd be true, you don't want to carry tripod and also carry monopod at the same time

Quote Originally Posted by armadillo
    Since Tripod can be use as monopod, so my statement shd be true, you don't want to carry tripod and also carry monopod at the same time
    Sometimes i do use my tripod as a monopod by extending the legs and putting them all together, but not as versatile as a dedicated monopod though, but still better than nothing.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

Quote Originally Posted by adamadam
    rocks side to side? hehe
    Is this the 682B?
    haha, yup, that's the one.
    Sony Alpha 700 hobbyist

Can i know if i want to purchase a monopod, should i buy one that extends to the maximum taller than me or if shorter than me is ok? I am 165cm tall only. Those tat reach up to shorter than me is kinda cheaper than the ones that reach up to 178cm. But i thought tat might be useful coz now i'm using Olympus E-330... i can't decide.
    From Pentax to 4/3, back to Pentax and then back to M4/3 !?!?

Quote Originally Posted by wrx_sti_22b
    Can i know if i want to purchase a monopod, should i buy one that extends to the maximum taller than me or if shorter than me is ok?
    you will find a taller tripod useful when you have to shoot from a slope where the tripod is set lower than where you are standing. problem with tall tripods is that they may be less stable. good sturdy TALL tripods tend to cost more and are generally heavier too.

Quote Originally Posted by ShutterBugL
    you will find a taller tripod useful when you have to shoot from a slope where the tripod is set lower than where you are standing. problem with tall tripods is that they may be less stable. good sturdy TALL tripods tend to cost more and are generally heavier too.
    Also, shooting on slopes (especially steeper and rockier ones), require tripods with spiked footing for gripping better.

Hi, I recently accquired a NIKON D50.... though it comes complete with a tripod, am thinking of getting a more sturdy one that has a quick release. Any recommendations? Thanks....

Quote Originally Posted by aremac_1974
    Hi, I recently accquired a NIKON D50.... though it comes complete with a tripod, am thinking of getting a more sturdy one that has a quick release. Any recommendations? Thanks....
    Manfrotto 055Pro

thanks so much for your kind advise. By the way, any price tag attached to this tripod?

thanks so much for your kind advise. By the way, any price tag attached to this tripod?
    I got it at MS colour at $170 for the tripod legs and $70 for the 484RC2 ball head. Heard now temporary stocks are out.

Thanks so much for you info! Will scout around for it!

Thanks so much for you info! Will scout around for it!
    Gd luck!

Ya. A tripod can become a monopod. Get a smaller tripod whereby the three legs can be folded to become a monopod. A great value for money

Quote Originally Posted by shendeerzi
    Ya. A tripod can become a monopod. Get a smaller tripod whereby the three legs can be folded to become a monopod. A great value for money
    Larger tripods can do the same job too.

sold away monopod because of my own liking... tripod take up more space, but is stable n can adjust v conveniently... monopod, when my shots dun allow much time for setup, hit n run....

Need both. Monopod for Macro/ Events & serious Tripod for long shutter or long focal range shotz. Cant find a reason for da lack of one.

Quote Originally Posted by trigger_lim View Post
    thanx.. i going tour so cant decide which 1...
    If you are going to do a lot of landscapes on the tour, get a tripod. monopods even the manfrotto 682 is not stable enough for long exposures especially when its windy. I am assuming that you are thinking of only getting one.
    Last edited by pat33; 14th October 2007 at 05:52 PM.

get carbon fiber tripod.
    less weight than some monopods.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast