Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Computers....

Default Re: Computers....

Thanks that is exectly my thoughts.
    I was looking at 2 system, a HP and a Dell. HP with AMD and Dell with Intel.
    Both system are as good with HP having a slight edge on warrenty (4 hrs vs next day).
    Hp does not have so many option but Dell is slightly more expensive and I can also configure to include many options that I may fancy (like a ultrasharp 24" LCD ) at a reasonable cost. My understanding is that the AMD chip is better designed, runs more efficiently and cooler than the Intel. HP also have better service. Hence the difficult decision. PC should last me for the next 3-5 years hopefully.

Quote Originally Posted by destiny_star
    Frankly i dunno how intensive ur photo editing is but do place more emphasis on getting at least 2GB ram, a relatively gd graphics card and a large capacity HDD.. u also mentioned somewhere on ur later post abt the NC, yes it definitely will take up quite abit of ur ram.. but if u have min 2 GB ram.. high chances are things shd be able to run smoothly.. As for DDR or DDR2 it doesn't make much of a diff actually..

Nowadays AMD are very user friendly.. it's quiet and cool, not like couple of yrs back.. it's so noisy esp when u've got a big cooler inside ur casing. Personally i find that whether u DIY urself or getting from a vendor, it really doesn't make much of a difference.. U'll get the better parts with the same amt.

On top of that if u're not a hardcore user dan probably ur new pc can last u easily at least 2 to 3 yrs from now..

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis
    Thanks that is exectly my thoughts.
    I was looking at 2 system, a HP and a Dell. HP with AMD and Dell with Intel.
    Both system are as good with HP having a slight edge on warrenty (4 hrs vs next day).
    Hp does not have so many option but Dell is slightly more expensive and I can also configure to include many options that I may fancy (like a ultrasharp 24" LCD ) at a reasonable cost. My understanding is that the AMD chip is better designed, runs more efficiently and cooler than the Intel. HP also have better service. Hence the difficult decision. PC should last me for the next 3-5 years hopefully.
    i'm not too worried about the 24" LCD cos they can be bought separately from dell anyway...that's what i just did

and i own a HP system as well (2nd PC)

Venice 3200+ @ 2.4Ghz
    ABIT Fatal1ty AN8 NF4
    2 x 512mb Geil DDR 400

Spent $603 on this

Quote Originally Posted by Klose
    Venice 3200+ @ 2.4Ghz
    ABIT Fatal1ty AN8 NF4
    2 x 512mb Geil DDR 400

Spent $603 on this
    it's so disparate...some people spend more than that on a graphics board alone!

Yes you are correct, the 24" is not a deciding factor, may not even get it !!.
    But the fact is that HP does not allow much leeway in config especially in HD, screen etc.
    Dell can be config closer to what I wanted.

uote=knoxknocks]i'm not too worried about the 24" LCD cos they can be bought separately from dell anyway...that's what i just did

and i own a HP system as well (2nd PC) [/quote]

Quote Originally Posted by knoxknocks
    it's so disparate...some people spend more than that on a graphics board alone!
    Actually the mobo and rams are second hand :P

$850 brand new still it's alot considering can use this to buy another lens

Having x2 HDD is abt as important as ram.
    Setting one for scratch disk will speed things up.
    The Graphic card is NOT important; no need for fancy gaming card.

Agree but I will be pairing the combo with a 1TB NAS so no need for too much harddisk.
    Maybe 160 x 2 or even a single HD.

Quote Originally Posted by firestone
    Having x2 HDD is abt as important as ram.
    Setting one for scratch disk will speed things up.
    The Graphic card is NOT important; no need for fancy gaming card.

Deregistered

Me using AMD64 XP 3000+ (939) with 1 GB DDR, Dennis, if my system can handle the files, you new system as long as better spec than mine surely can la

Thanks. OK noted. If espn say OK it means OK.

Quote Originally Posted by espn
    Me using AMD64 XP 3000+ (939) with 1 GB DDR, Dennis, if my system can handle the files, you new system as long as better spec than mine surely can la

Quote Originally Posted by yyD70S
    However, compatibility issues (AMD) are also more!
    can you quote some compatibility issues? From what I know Intel is the one having compatibility issues.. Not to mention if Intel you'll be spending quite a bit more on your electricity bills.

Anyway 1 gb of ram is more than enough. By accident I opened up 117 raw in photoshop. Since I couldn't stop it, and my whole system slowed to a crawl converting raw to jpeg. Took me a long time, and most of the time is spent on processing, at least 5 seconds for each raw.
    I increased memory to 2gb, and repeated the same thing, just for fun.. It's equally slow..
    However I went to test on a dual-core machine.. While it didin't exactly blaze through, but it's definitely MUCH faster. that was with 1gb ram only.

Well, conclusion: ram doesn't matter that much, your processor speed does. Spend more $$ on your processor. Wait till Avalon is out before buying more ram coz XP simply can't make use of it.

Thanks everyone, finally decided on my system. Hopefully delivery this week.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12