Thread: Why the file size doubled when I save with PS??

Default Why the file size doubled when I save with PS??

Hello fellows,

I questions regarding file size.
    I am using Photoshop CS 1.

So, the things happen is this :
    1. I want to open a picture in PS with file size 148Kb.
    2. Pic opened in PS and I do some cropping without editing.
    3. I save with Save as at quality 9
    4. Dang! the file size become 290Kb sumthin.

Why is this so?
    Even if don't do any resizing when I save as the picture with PS it always happen to be bigger (file size) than initial.
    I save it in JPEG extension.
    Is there any problem with my PS settings?

This make me so much trouble when I want to submit a picture to a website with file size limitation.

Please advice.

Default Re: Why the file size doubled when I save with PS??

Quote Originally Posted by newmemberz
    Even if don't do any resizing when I save as the picture with PS it always happen to be bigger (file size) than initial.
    I save it in JPEG extension.
    1) JPEG compression settings are non-standardized. A setting of "9" might have completely different effects in different software and may produce a tiny file with one program or a huge file with another.

2) Photoshop may save all kind of junk along with the image. From the files posted on clubsnap, this seems to affect mainly photoshop on the Macintosh platform. If you post a sample file, I could check whether this is the case.

I notice that too. JPEG also bloats up depending on how many colors you use. (i.e. a whole rectangle of white takes up very small KB). What I normally do is edit the original photo which is 3MB size, apply auto-color, adjust curves and other enhancements needed, save at quality=12. It becomes 5MB. Then I use ACDSee to resize a smaller copy and reduce the quality up to my favorite dimension and quality, or in your case up to the kb you want. So this way, I have the original to play with different sizes and quality.

I noticed that too. Mac's Photoshop's jpg seems to have bigger file size..

Dunno it's because there are more colour profile assign into it?

Quote Originally Posted by LittleWolf
    1) JPEG compression settings are non-standardized. A setting of "9" might have completely different effects in different software and may produce a tiny file with one program or a huge file with another.

2) Photoshop may save all kind of junk along with the image. From the files posted on clubsnap, this seems to affect mainly photoshop on the Macintosh platform. If you post a sample file, I could check whether this is the case.

If you want to shrink the size, try Save To Web feature.

Probably one of the reason is layering .... flatten the layer should reduce the file size ...
    always the Light, .... always.

Quote Originally Posted by Horsba85
    If you want to shrink the size, try Save To Web feature.
    yah, I've tried that too but it isn't a good solution to me.
    Because the picture quality reduced so much and they tend to be overexposed compared to the original image.

Quote Originally Posted by erizai
    I noticed that too. Mac's Photoshop's jpg seems to have bigger file size..

Dunno it's because there are more colour profile assign into it?
    There's a lot of Apple-specific XML stuff embedded in the files. Excerpt from a random file picked from the gallery:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd"><plist version="1.0">
    <dict>
    <key>com.apple.print.PageFormat.PMHorizontalRes</key>
    <dict>
    <key>com.apple.print.ticket.creator</key>
    <string>com.apple.printingmanager</string>
    <key>com.apple.print.ticket.itemArray</key>
    <array>
    <dict>
    <key>com.apple.print.PageFormat.PMHorizontalRes</key>
    <real>72</real>
    <key>com.apple.print.ticket.client</key>
    <string>com.apple.printingmanager</string>
    <key>com.apple.print.ticket.modDate</key>
    <date>2006-02-15T11:13:40Z</date>
    and so on and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by newmemberz
    yah, I've tried that too but it isn't a good solution to me.
    Because the picture quality reduced so much and they tend to be overexposed compared to the original image.
    I don't think "save to web" doesn't inherently affect the image quality. In the Photoshope LE version that I have, one can chose compression parameters interactively by comparing the original with the compressed image side by side. There is also no reason why it should affect the luminance (not exposure; exposure is what happens when you press the shutter release on the camera and can't be changed afterwards).

What "save to web" does is throw out Exif and other metadata that takes up a lot of space, but contributes zero to the stored image information. This is important, because one wants to minimize the network traffic (and the associated download times) for web pages.

Quote Originally Posted by Canonised
    Probably one of the reason is layering .... flatten the layer should reduce the file size ...
    jpg cannot save layered files...only flattened ones...

Quote Originally Posted by LittleWolf
    yup...try transfering the file to a PC and view it...you will see another file with the same file name but with the character "_" appended in front of the name...donno if this is the culprit in this case...removing this little file doesn't seem to affect the main file though...

That's the thumbnail file for faster preview. you can save without thumbnail preview.

Quote Originally Posted by theRBK
    jpg cannot save layered files...only flattened ones...

yup...try transfering the file to a PC and view it...you will see another file with the same file name but with the character "_" appended in front of the name...donno if this is the culprit in this case...removing this little file doesn't seem to affect the main file though...