Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: SG has no photography opportunity

Default Re: SG has no photography opportunity

You may not agree, but how many world-class photographers base themselves here? How many base themselves in New York? Paris? Etc.

If I want to do fashion work, would I choose New York, Milan or Singapore?

If I want to do landscape work, would I choose Europe (pick any country you like) or Singapore?

If I want to shoot sports, say golf, would I choose US or Singapore?

Even if I want to do street photography, would I do Paris or Singapore?

Obviously not Singapore.

Not to say that I can't do it here, but what is the level and quality of the shots I can get here vs what I can get in a place with better conditions.

Of course the precondition is that I must have a certain level of competence. If I'm a lousy photographer to begin with, no point putting me in front of a beautiful photo opportunity-- my shots will still come back with lousy composition, exposure or timing.

But if I'm already good technically-- if I have the necessary skills to earn a living as a photographer-- then the limiting factor in my further growth is not my lack of technical skill, but the material I have to work with. And that is where Singapore is unfortunately behind in terms of opportunity.

We should be realistic and accept our limitations when people make such comments, rather than lash out at these people for being lousy or lazy photographers.

If you just want to take pix of your children, you can do that anywhere, although some locations are prettier than others.

If you want to take other things (landscapes, sports, etc), there are indeed a lot more places that are better than Singapore in terms of opportunity.

A poor person once said, if others can afford to live in luxurious houses or own big cars, good for them, but I'm not going to cry just because I'm poor and can't afford to have a big house or a car. We don't need to put them down simply because they have what I don't have.

The same attitude can apply here. There's no need to criticise others who feel that S'pore has no photo opportunities. We accept the country is just not as well-endowed as other countries, but so what, we don't have to cry over that or feel hurt when people point that out to us. We just do what we can with the material we have available to us.

Wai Leong
    ===
    Quote Originally Posted by arantha
    SG has no photography 'opportunity'?
    I was rather shocked by this statement. You need to find opportunity, not sitting around and hope for opportunity to find you.
    Last edited by waileong; 30th March 2006 at 03:53 PM.

Blog Entries

to us it seems boring
    but to the visitor it is very interesting to them

"the grass is always greener on the other side"

Quote Originally Posted by waileong
    We accept the country is just not as well-endowed as other countries, but so what, we don't have to cry over that or feel hurt when people point that out to us. We just do what we can with the material we have available to us.

Wai Leong
    ===
    agreed..

if u can make 'boring' Punggol, 'boring' Clarke Quay, 'boring' Boat Quay, everything 'boring' about Singapore into something spectacular, something visually exciting, then u're really good. u're really a visually gifted photographer(this does not apply to foreigners who are spending their holidays here, i.e short trip).

i agree that Singapore might not haf that many beautiful, gorgeous and breath-taking scenery but we do have Sentosa, Punggol Beach... everyday sceneries and landscape that u see all the time.

the challenge is to change them into something different, something visually exciting and 'un-Singapore'.

what challenge is there to take a photo of a breath-taking scenery? anyone who is there at the scenery can take that photo. to me, it's simply no big deal. i'd rather photograph different areas of Singapore through my own visuals and creativity and change them into photographs which are 'un-Singapore' like.

are u up to the challenge, instead of grumbling and complaining?
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

Quote Originally Posted by drtokina
    got a couple of foreign friends who grumbled saying that SG is not a place for good phtography.

there is nothing to take in SG.........

i guess they're taking the more touristy routes in SG? i've seen pretty good pictures taken by our clubsnap photographers in locations where not many tourists, or even locals, will tread. and very often, even at those locations the weather might not be cooperative, so it might take many visits to take a great shot.

then again it depends on what kind of subjects they like to photograph. so next time, they should ask themselves what do they want to take, and go to places where there are such opportunities.
    Canon 300D, 30D, 5D. 17-40 f4 L, 24-105 f4 L, 70-200 f2.8 L IS

It's all in the mindset

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesecake
    agreed..

if u can make 'boring' Punggol, 'boring' Clarke Quay, 'boring' Boat Quay, everything 'boring' about Singapore into something spectacular, something visually exciting, then u're really good. u're really a visually gifted photographer(this does not apply to foreigners who are spending their holidays here, i.e short trip).

i agree that Singapore might not haf that many beautiful, gorgeous and breath-taking scenery but we do have Sentosa, Punggol Beach... everyday sceneries and landscape that u see all the time.

the challenge is to change them into something different, something visually exciting and 'un-Singapore'.

what challenge is there to take a photo of a breath-taking scenery? anyone who is there at the scenery can take that photo. to me, it's simply no big deal. i'd rather photograph different areas of Singapore through my own visuals and creativity and change them into photographs which are 'un-Singapore' like.

are u up to the challenge, instead of grumbling and complaining?
    I don't like the 'un-Singapore' term.

I think it's better to put it as 'to show Singapore in a different perspective', whatever the subject might be.

Un-Singapore feels like trying to deny something...

well it's just my 2 cents, haha...
    Canon 300D, 30D, 5D. 17-40 f4 L, 24-105 f4 L, 70-200 f2.8 L IS

Quote Originally Posted by djork
    I don't like the 'un-Singapore' term.

I think it's better to put it as 'to show Singapore in a different perspective', whatever the subject might be.

Un-Singapore feels like trying to deny something...

well it's just my 2 cents, haha...
    yeah..

perhaps tat is my perspective and my aim.
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

it is a small country
    high rise housing takes up much of landscape
    office /commerce buildings take up remaining.

it is true to some extent.
    don't compare with China that has natural beauty, history, large landscape

if one talks about the old chinatown or villages where once we reared pigs, chickens, etc...what looks interesting to tourists may not be so nice to live in

Quote Originally Posted by TMC
    Seriously it does get boring after a while and you will need to head out overseas to experience other fields and see more sights.
    Go to Santosa Island and shoot mah.

See: http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=187180

A great photographer once say:" A very good master will make master pieces out of his own back yard"

People tend to overlook their own backyard.

Even in your own house, you can get good shots.

Blog Entries

take a look in the "Photo a day" section

so they say....but undeniably there are times that you just want to practice photography that doesnt demand being creative. Might be said as taking the easy way out but then who wants to be taking abstracts all the time?

One way is to go off the beaten track.

Stay away from the crowded areas.

Head to those off the beaten track.

Instead of going to Boat Quay, head to the alley.
    Instead of Orchard Road, head to Emerald Hill.
    Instead of Sultan Mosque, explore the area.
    Instead of Woodlands, keep your eyes peeled along Woodlands Road, lots of very old stuff there.

Arrow Re: SG has no photography opportunity

Most of DrTokina post is just to stir up ill feelings, especially the topic of no photographic opportunities here in Singapore.

Even Bryan Peterson book Understanding Exposures page 155 has a picture of an Indian man at Little India.

metalliian you are right so many buildings one...........walau.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345