Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: SG has no photography opportunity

Default Re: SG has no photography opportunity

your friend looking for wat to shoot inparticular ?

1) mountains ? we got man made 1s
    2) river ? we got 1 river clean up wor
    3) people ? got 4 mil leh , not 1 can satisfy their criteria
    4) buildings ? so many to choose
    5) ships ? psa for cargo vessel or harbour front for cruiser
    6) kangaroos ? psa many wor
    7) lion ? life 1 or man made , zoo n sentosa got both category
    8) insects ? sentosa can hunt for many

really , u need to ask wat they 1 2 take , then if they cannot find , post a question here to see if CS can help to identify where to shoot for.

but for obvious reason certain elements not native in singapore , then pls lah , dun expect to find it here lor. ( eg , y no snow )

yep, SG has too much buildings-

tell me where to shoot scenary?

modern landscape maybe
    but modern scenary?

Quote Originally Posted by drtokina

modern landscape maybe
    but modern scenary?
    Define "modern".
    D300s D200 350D | N18-200VRII N18-70 N50 TK12-24 S70-300 TR18-200

Far easier to blame your surroundings than your eye for photography I guess.

Threadstarter, no disrespect to your friends, foreign or otherwise. But it's the same EVERYWHERE if you go to a place with fixed opinions on what you wanna photograph and the place doesn't have it.
    Last edited by G-man; 24th March 2006 at 12:06 PM.

Smile Re: SG has no photography opportunity

those who can find it, will find it. those who can't, will head for bali, vietnam, cambodia, etc.

I think we should also be honest with ourselves. Singapore has no great landscapes to speak of, anyone who has taken pics of the skies here and in the Northern hemisphere knows how much bluer the skies are there, we do not have four seasons, no beautiful volcanoes, etc.

Being defensive only serves to prove others right. It reeks of sour grapes.

However, the ability to take good pictures does not just depend on great landscapes. There are interesting subjects on the streets, beautiful girls everywhere, temples, flowers, insects, etc. If the photog wants to take good pix of such subjects which are available in S'pore (as in anywhere else in the world), our location is no hindrance. In fact, being tropical means we have more available light longer for photogs all year round, compared to temperate countries.

Quote Originally Posted by G-man
    Far easier to blame your surroundings than your eye for photography I guess.

Threadstarter, no disrespect to your friends, foreign or otherwise. But it's the same EVERYWHERE if you go to a place with fixed opinions on what you wanna photograph and the place doesn't have it.

Quote Originally Posted by waileong
    However, the ability to take good pictures does not just depend on great landscapes. There are interesting subjects on the streets, beautiful girls everywhere, temples, flowers, insects, etc. If the photog wants to take good pix of such subjects which are available in S'pore (as in anywhere else in the world), our location is no hindrance. In fact, being tropical means we have more available light longer for photogs all year round, compared to temperate countries.
    My point exactly. It really depends on what one wants to shoot. If one decides to limit onselves to landscape then yes, that remark MIGHT hold water. But without stating exactly what one wants to shoot and then shooting(pun unintended) one's mouth off about the lack of photographic opportunity here is making a sweeping statement I feel.

Quote Originally Posted by G-man
    My point exactly. It really depends on what one wants to shoot. If one decides to limit onselves to landscape then yes, that remark MIGHT hold water. But without stating exactly what one wants to shoot and then shooting(pun unintended) one's mouth off about the lack of photographic opportunity here is making a sweeping statement I feel.
    I agreed...If one intend to shoot scenery like what you have in China/Canada/US or even Malaysia, then spore has not much to offer in terms of grand breath-taking natural scenery.

A local newspaper, TODAY onced quoted Ian Lloyd, one of the world's leading photographers based in Singapore something like "I being in Spore for 25 years and there is always something to shoot..."(not the exact quote)

modern landscape maybe
    but modern scenary?
    Oh.... No 'modern scenery' for u to shoot?

Define and show examples between 'modern scenery' and 'modern landscape' that YOU and YOUR FOREIGN FRIENDS had taken.

Come to think of it, equipment wankers seem to be in season.
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

Quote Originally Posted by shyanyap
    I agreed...If one intend to shoot scenery like what you have in China/Canada/US or even Malaysia, then spore has not much to offer in terms of grand breath-taking natural scenery.

A local newspaper, TODAY onced quoted Ian Lloyd, one of the world's leading photographers based in Singapore something like "I being in Spore for 25 years and there is always something to shoot..."(not the exact quote)
    Our friend there is no Ian Lloyd or Ansel Adams.

Why smear their good names on the threadstarter?
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

Quote Originally Posted by waileong
    I think we should also be honest with ourselves. Singapore has no great landscapes to speak of, anyone who has taken pics of the skies here and in the Northern hemisphere knows how much bluer the skies are there, we do not have four seasons, no beautiful volcanoes, etc.

Being defensive only serves to prove others right. It reeks of sour grapes.

But precisely as you say, we do not need massive mountains or "bluer" skies for greater pictures, and pointing this out dosent exactly entail adopting an defensive attitude. It reflects differing opinions on just what a "good" photo is, or what an "opportunity" for photography is.

I would suppose conversely, someone who lives in the countryside would be complaining he has "little photography opportunities" as well, despite living in the midst of rolling mountains and shimmering rivers under a clear blue sky?
    D300s D200 350D | N18-200VRII N18-70 N50 TK12-24 S70-300 TR18-200

got a couple of foreign friends who grumbled saying that SG is not a place for good phtography.

there is nothing to take in SG.........

I think your foreign friends should get out more and shoot more instead of grumbling. I wouldn't be surprised it they are the same ones who hang out at bars or cafes all the time making their hoity-toity comments when they could be out shooting. If they choose to limit there photography to only certain types such as landscape, or architecture, they really shouldn't be in a position to comment about lack of photographic opportunities.

I'd like to grumble that Singapore is not a place to find foreigners who have a good photographic eye. There are just too many untalented foreign talents.

SG has no photography 'opportunity'?
    I was rather shocked by this statement. You need to find opportunity, not sitting around and hope for opportunity to find you.
    Last edited by arantha; 25th March 2006 at 03:16 AM.

hmm... cant say that singapore has no photography opportunity... this is.. somehow..

jus that on this dense population small island.. anyway, anything, every view, all angle, day or night, even beneath a stone.. etc.. is probably all shot before... or it happens you shoot something one of it's kind? a dozen least might be waiting for a duplication....

and picture took here seem to be less likely to win international award recog.. perharp it's.... ('boring' the word?)

Metal Agree With You.

Look at my signature.

i just stay in singapore for like 4-5 months...
    but i think singapore is one of the best place to take cityscape and urban photos...

Quote Originally Posted by archlover
    i just stay in singapore for like 4-5 months...
    but i think singapore is one of the best place to take cityscape and urban photos...
    Yup, others need to open their eyes.

Our cityscape is very interesting and vibrant, with a good mix of different buildings, creating different 'feel'.

From old world to stunning modern designs, we have them.
    Last edited by redstone; 30th March 2006 at 03:01 PM.

got a couple of foreign friends who grumbled saying that SG is not a place for good phtography.

there is nothing to take in SG.........

Don't really care. I am mostly out taking photos in Singapore. Of course quite a few are those of my 18mth old daughter, family & friends.... .
    "Photography is an austere and blazing poetry of the real" -Ansel Adams

Seriously it does get boring after a while and you will need to head out overseas to experience other fields and see more sights.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast