Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Is Thirsty Hippo Camera Safe?

  1. #1

    Default Is Thirsty Hippo Camera Safe?

    I admit I am never good in chemistry even in school. Therefore, this is a question for all chemistry geniuses.

    You guys probably have heard, or have come across a product from Reckitt Benckiser called "Thirsty Hippo". Its main ingredient is calcium chloride (CaCl2).

    The Thirsty Hippo is used as a desiccant to remove excessive moisture in the air. As you all know, moisture is water (H2O).

    If we combine calcium chloride with water vapour (CaCl2 + 2 H2O → CaCl2·2H2O). Am I correct to say one of the by-products of these two chemicals is hydrochloric acid (HCl)? And many of us already learnt in school that hydrochloric acid is corrosive and harmful to metals.

    Am I correct to say that it isn't safe to use Thirsty Hippo with our cameras and lenses?

    Please verify this, as I (and I believe, many others too) are interested to know.

    Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by photobum; 16th February 2006 at 11:33 PM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member dennisc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Freezing Upp Thomson/Mandai!
    Posts
    2,010

    Default Re: Is Thirsty Hippo Camera Safe?

    my parents used TH on a tupperware, with digicam stored in it. so far so good, cam working fine for a yr now.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Is Thirsty Hippo Camera Safe?

    From what I've read on previous posts here, someone mentioned that it makes it super super dry that even the lubrication on the lens dries out.... don't know how true this is though

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    270 degree of Singapore
    Posts
    6,741

    Default Re: Is Thirsty Hippo Camera Safe?

    no, it doesn't really produce HCl.
    from:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calcium_chloride
    CaCO3(s) + 2 HCl → CaCl2(aq) + H2O(l) + CO2(g)
    calcium carbnonate react with HCl to produce calcium chloride and water plus CO2, so Calcium chloride is a more stable product in the process after achieve equilibrium, so it won't move backward usually to form HCl.
    Or
    CaCl2 + 2 H2O → Ca(OH)2.2HCl
    (form Ca(OH)2.2HCl as a salt compound? )
    Sony Alpha 700 hobbyist

  5. #5

    Default Re: Is Thirsty Hippo Camera Safe?

    Quote Originally Posted by adamadam
    From what I've read on previous posts here, someone mentioned that it makes it super super dry that even the lubrication on the lens dries out.... don't know how true this is though
    When I put a 300ml container-sized Thirsty Hippo into my dry-cabi, the digital hygrometer reads 22% even with the dry-cabi set to 50% RH.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Is Thirsty Hippo Camera Safe?

    Quote Originally Posted by zcf
    calcium carbnonate react with HCl to produce calcium chloride and water plus CO2, so Calcium chloride is a more stable product in the process after achieve equilibrium, so it won't move backward usually to form HCl.
    Or
    CaCl2 + 2 H2O → Ca(OH)2.2HCl
    Thanks for your clarification.
    Last edited by photobum; 16th February 2006 at 11:50 PM.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Is Thirsty Hippo Camera Safe?

    A quote from Wikipedia distresses me. Here it is:

    "It (calcium chloride) is used in concrete mixes to help speed up the initial setting and to strengthen the concrete. However chloride ion leads to corrosion of steel rebars, so it should not be used in reinforced concrete."

    Does it still means that calcium chloride is corrosive and should not be placed near metals?

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    270 degree of Singapore
    Posts
    6,741

    Default Re: Is Thirsty Hippo Camera Safe?

    as long as the metal part is not in direct contact with CaCl2, I see no harm using it as a dessicant.
    Sony Alpha 700 hobbyist

  9. #9

    Default Re: Is Thirsty Hippo Camera Safe?

    yes safe else why they manufacture it

  10. #10

    Default Re: Is Thirsty Hippo Camera Safe?

    Quote Originally Posted by user111
    yes safe else why they manufacture it
    Bare in mind that the intended use for Thirsty Hippo isn't for photographic equipment.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Is Thirsty Hippo Camera Safe?

    Quote Originally Posted by photobum
    Bare in mind that the intended use for Thirsty Hippo isn't for photographic equipment.
    Some hippos have weak bladder and been known to wet pants. At least I know it wet my pants in my cupboard before. Now I put the hippo in an disposable food container so that at least when it leaks there is still a container to hold the liquid. I don't and will never use it for photographic equipment.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,109

    Default Re: Is Thirsty Hippo Camera Safe?

    forget it. Just get a dry cabinet, and keep your photographic equipment. Your camera and accessories are worth more than a thousand dollars.
    "Photography is an austere and blazing poetry of the real" -Ansel Adams

  13. #13

    Default Re: Is Thirsty Hippo Camera Safe?

    Quote Originally Posted by blive
    forget it. Just get a dry cabinet, and keep your photographic equipment. Your camera and accessories are worth more than a thousand dollars.
    Yeah.. and you need to keep changing the hippo, can cost you much more in the long run. A small dry cabinet only cost about $100 or so. That's about 70 or 80 3rd party hippos or about 50 bonafide hippos.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Tanjong Katong
    Posts
    3,710

    Default Re: Is Thirsty Hippo Camera Safe?

    Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon
    Yeah.. and you need to keep changing the hippo, can cost you much more in the long run. A small dry cabinet only cost about $100 or so. That's about 70 or 80 3rd party hippos or about 50 bonafide hippos.
    Don't forget, drycab also use electricity, which is 24 hours always on. In my case, 40 liters drycab use 4w.

    But I prefer drycab than thirsty hippo for camera things.....

    Regards,
    Arto.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Is Thirsty Hippo Camera Safe?

    Quote Originally Posted by Artosoft
    Don't forget, drycab also use electricity, which is 24 hours always on. In my case, 40 liters drycab use 4w.

    But I prefer drycab than thirsty hippo for camera things.....

    Regards,
    Arto.
    That is not too expensive. 4w x 24h x 31 days is about 3kWh which is less than 60c.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Cons digger.
    Posts
    3,924

    Default Re: Is Thirsty Hippo Camera Safe?

    sillica gel. $3/big bottle, reusable.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

  17. #17

    Default Re: Is Thirsty Hippo Camera Safe?

    Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay
    sillica gel. $3/big bottle, reusable.
    Cobalt Chloride used as the pink-blue indicator - carcinogenic.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Is Thirsty Hippo Camera Safe?

    Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon
    Some hippos have weak bladder and been known to wet pants. At least I know it wet my pants in my cupboard before.
    Did you accidentally spill the container?

  19. #19

    Default Re: Is Thirsty Hippo Camera Safe?

    Quote Originally Posted by photobum
    Did you accidentally spill the container?
    No, the container cracked and sprang a leak. Happened 3 times, once on a bonafide hippo, the other 2 were some other brand ones.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •