Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Event shooting with flash?

  1. #1

    Default Event shooting with flash?

    hi guys,

    for events like chingay where there is no ceiling to bounce from do u just aim the flash head straight ahead and shoot? must use diffuser? but range of flash will be reduced drastically right? i tried using bounce card with the flash head at 45 degrees angle but the range is too short.

    for other events like those on stage ones in shopping centres where the ceiling is 4 storeys high then how to shoot?

    thanks.

  2. #2

    Default Re: event shooting with flash?

    Quote Originally Posted by aloyteo
    hi guys,

    for events like chingay where there is no ceiling to bounce from do u just aim the flash head straight ahead and shoot? must use diffuser? but range of flash will be reduced drastically right? i tried using bounce card with the flash head at 45 degrees angle but the range is too short.

    for other events like those on stage ones in shopping centres where the ceiling is 4 storeys high then how to shoot?

    thanks.
    Shoot with a higher ISO without flash.

  3. #3

    Default Re: event shooting with flash?

    higher ISO for indoor events still can. but for outdoor night events plus need to freeze fast motion i think bit hard...

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    12,938

    Default Re: event shooting with flash?

    Quote Originally Posted by aloyteo

    for other events like those on stage ones in shopping centres where the ceiling is 4 storeys high then how to shoot?

    thanks.
    shoot direct without use of diffuser. some samples from my gallery shot this way:
    http://mpenza.clubsnap.org/gallery/dxo2005

  5. #5
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: event shooting with flash?

    I concur with mpenza - direct is the way to go...UNLESS you're one heck of a near to the subject matter, in which case you can also decide whether to put diffusers or just shoot direct.

    Quote Originally Posted by mpenza
    shoot direct without use of diffuser. some samples from my gallery shot this way:
    http://mpenza.clubsnap.org/gallery/dxo2005

  6. #6

    Default Re: event shooting with flash?

    so just use direct flash... will try that during the chingay celebrations in jurong on saturday. dunno why people seem to hate direct flash so much... insist that only bounce flash is good...or is it for weddings only?

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Bt. Timah
    Posts
    1,354

    Default Re: event shooting with flash?

    Quote Originally Posted by aloyteo
    so just use direct flash... will try that during the chingay celebrations in jurong on saturday. dunno why people seem to hate direct flash so much... insist that only bounce flash is good...or is it for weddings only?
    People prefer bounced flash cos the light spreads over a larger area after being bounced, so the shadows are less harsh and lighting is more 3D.

    However outdoors when bounce is next to impossible, you'll have to make-do with direct. You'll still get good results. Also, harsh shadows behind yr subject are usually gone outdoors since there are very few walls or backdrops to cast shadows on. Only issue is that lighting's a little flat. If you're particular you can use a flash bracket to position the flash off-shoe for more flattering results.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Bukit Merah
    Posts
    442

    Default Re: Event shooting with flash?

    Just to clarify my viewpoint....

    From the perspective of being natural, the sun is always ontop of the subject, a flash is as good as a sun in short duration, have you ever work in the situation a sun is pointing to you right infront ? hehe not me...

    I can understand, the situation, when you don't have a big flash gun, firing straight is the only choice, and you probably have to wide open the apeature of yours' lens to 2.8 or 4, if the situation permits, shooting with ceiling bounce + fill (either a reflector, or a secondary fill flash on the camera, or maybe a second unit of flash, would provide the lighting quality impossible by a single flash gun pointing straight, that's why people forking out hard saved cash for higher power flash unit

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •