Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 75

Thread: Tried Fuji Superia 800

  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Tried Fuji Superia 800

    Quote Originally Posted by madmacs
    you have to watch your meter. if shooting at concerts, usually the stage light quite bright, so iso 3200 or even 1600 might work.
    So that means i've to also buy another ASA1600 film then. Won't it be very very grainy??
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  2. #22

    Default Re: Tried Fuji Superia 800

    Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle
    So that means i've to also buy another ASA1600 film then. Won't it be very very grainy??
    ASA 800 should be sufficient for concerts. I have shot at that speed using aperture of f/4. Shutter speed would be about 1/15"-1/30" which is good because you are able to capture the blur due to the movement on the stage. It brings out the mood of the concert. And unless you're in for the effect, ASA1600 would be a bit too grainy for my liking.
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 16th February 2006 at 01:56 PM.

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Tried Fuji Superia 800

    Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon
    ASA 800 should be sufficient for concerts. I have shot at that speed using aperture of f/4. Shutter speed would be about 1/15"-1/30" which is good because you are able to capture the blur due to the movement on the stage. It brings out the mood of the concert. And unless you're in for the effect, ASA1600 would be a bit too grainy for my liking.
    Blur yes but the person's face must be sharp. Maybe can use AI Focus on that.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  4. #24

    Default Re: Tried Fuji Superia 800

    Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle
    Blur yes but the person's face must be sharp. Maybe can use AI Focus on that.
    No. You'll need to know the moment to shoot that. The blur will be due to motion blur, so you fire when the face is still and the body is moving.

    The shot below is shot at ISO800 on a D70s body with the 18-70 kit lens. Shutter speed is 1/30. I believe the stage lighting is using HMI lamps because you can see that the light is not continuous but strobing at about 120Hz or slightly more. There seems to be about 4 strobes within the 1/30s frame.
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 16th February 2006 at 03:09 PM.

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Tried Fuji Superia 800

    Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon
    No. You'll need to know the moment to shoot that. The blur will be due to motion blur, so you fire when the face is still and the body is moving.

    The shot below is shot at ISO800 on a D70s body with the 18-70 kit lens. Shutter speed is 1/30. I believe the stage lighting is using HMI lamps because you can see that the light is not continuous but strobing at about 120Hz or slightly more. There seems to be about 4 strobes within the 1/30s frame.
    Hmmm...maybe can zoom a little more too hehe...
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  6. #26

    Default Re: Tried Fuji Superia 800

    Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle
    Hmmm...maybe can zoom a little more too hehe...
    Zoom a little more and you don't see the ribbon liao. Anyway, this picture was cropped. I already maxed out at 70mm. :P
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 16th February 2006 at 03:45 PM.

  7. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Tried Fuji Superia 800

    Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon
    Zoom a little more and you don't see the ribbon liao. Anyway, this picture was cropped. I already maxed out at 70mm. :P
    Oh then can crop more mah cos the audiences heads are distracting hehe
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  8. #28

    Default Re: Tried Fuji Superia 800

    Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle
    Oh then can crop more mah cos the audiences heads are distracting hehe
    Hehehe.. Yeah.. I wasn't the official photographer. Went to a company dinner function and I couldn't resist when I saw the ribbon dance. :P
    Unfortunately, I don't quite like a non 3:2 or 1:1 aspect ratio for the images.
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 16th February 2006 at 04:44 PM.

  9. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Tried Fuji Superia 800

    Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon
    Hehehe.. Yeah.. I wasn't the official photographer. Went to a company dinner function and I couldn't resist when I saw the ribbon dance. :P
    Unfortunately, I don't quite like a non 3:2 or 1:1 aspect ratio for the images.
    DSLRs resolutions should be all 3:2. Some do have 4:3 or 16:9. 3:2 is best as it's an uncropped image when printed out.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  10. #30

    Default Re: Tried Fuji Superia 800

    I just shot some Fuji Pro 800 (oler emulsion called NPZ) and the grain is pretty good for a 800 speed. Needs to be rated at 640 though and does NOT handled underexposure well...
    Furry Photos - Photography for the Modern Pet

  11. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Tried Fuji Superia 800

    Quote Originally Posted by raptor84
    I just shot some Fuji Pro 800 (oler emulsion called NPZ) and the grain is pretty good for a 800 speed. Needs to be rated at 640 though and does NOT handled underexposure well...
    Usually the pro ones are better than those normal ones.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  12. #32

    Default Re: Tried Fuji Superia 800

    What dont you try this way. Expose it at ISO 1600 and ask the lab to push to ISO1600 for you? Or you expose it at ISO 800 but ask the lab to push 1 stop for you? So you negatives will be over by 1 stop and more details will come out?

    I have heard that the Press 800 and Superia 800 is the same but with different packaging? Both the film names are call CZ. Also I went to look out for the chracteristics of both film. Both have the same RMS and so on. Was wondering is it those QC got problem one is used as superia while those pass QC is used as Press??

  13. #33

    Default Re: Tried Fuji Superia 800

    Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle
    DSLRs resolutions should be all 3:2. Some do have 4:3 or 16:9. 3:2 is best as it's an uncropped image when printed out.
    Yeah.. usually I print 4R or 4S, so it's either 3:2 or 1:1. Too used to 24x36 and 6x6 film aspect ratio.

  14. #34

    Default Re: Tried Fuji Superia 800

    Quote Originally Posted by sweat100
    What dont you try this way. Expose it at ISO 1600 and ask the lab to push to ISO1600 for you? Or you expose it at ISO 800 but ask the lab to push 1 stop for you? So you negatives will be over by 1 stop and more details will come out?

    I have heard that the Press 800 and Superia 800 is the same but with different packaging? Both the film names are call CZ. Also I went to look out for the chracteristics of both film. Both have the same RMS and so on. Was wondering is it those QC got problem one is used as superia while those pass QC is used as Press??
    My guess is that they might be different in terms of the in between tones. Press film generally do not need to have very smooth in between tones. So have to be careful about professional films. Most of them the high speed ones are for press photography where getting an image is more important in varying lighting conditions (high dynamic range) than rendering the smoothness of tones as would have been preferred for portraiture/products. Therefore you will see 2 segments, high speed for press and low speed for studio/portraiture. For everything else, there are consumer films.

  15. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Tried Fuji Superia 800

    Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon
    Yeah.. usually I print 4R or 4S, so it's either 3:2 or 1:1. Too used to 24x36 and 6x6 film aspect ratio.
    I've a PnS digicam and i always set it to 3:2 ratio. So is it better to leave it this way or use 4:3 instead?
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  16. #36

    Default Re: Tried Fuji Superia 800

    Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle
    I've a PnS digicam and i always set it to 3:2 ratio. So is it better to leave it this way or use 4:3 instead?
    It's really up to you. You just get the top and bottom part chopped off if you select 3:2. Otherwise when you print 'fit in' there will be 2 white borders at the side. But usually, aspect ratio can affect a picture visually, so I'll stick with 3:2 and 1:1. Square pictures looks interesting also.

  17. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Tried Fuji Superia 800

    Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon
    It's really up to you. You just get the top and bottom part chopped off if you select 3:2. Otherwise when you print 'fit in' there will be 2 white borders at the side. But usually, aspect ratio can affect a picture visually, so I'll stick with 3:2 and 1:1. Square pictures looks interesting also.
    Yes, that's why on the cam's LCD the top and bottom part is a little bit reduced so not shown. I used to shoot with 4:3 but i just saved into my computer. Only 3:2 ones then i print out.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  18. #38
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Western SG
    Posts
    1,537

    Default Re: Tried Fuji Superia 800

    Quote Originally Posted by Diablo
    Shooting it with EF50mm f1.8

    Given the light condition, i gotta fully open it.
    And its grainy man....even on a 4R print

    Is there any other finer fast speed film?
    IMHO, try a few more to see is the film grainy or underexposure causes it to be grainy.

    You can try rating it at 640 to overexpose a bit. (But you have to know how your Camera meters... not all camera meters the same)

  19. #39
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Tried Fuji Superia 800

    So what will happen if i used an ASA400 film and then manually in my cam adjust the ISO to 800 or 200 or 100??
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  20. #40

    Default Re: Tried Fuji Superia 800

    Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle
    So what will happen if i used an ASA400 film and then manually in my cam adjust the ISO to 800 or 200 or 100??
    800, you get underexposure by 1 stop.
    200, you get overexposuer by 1 stop.
    100, you get overexposure by 2 stops.

    Setting the camera ISO just affects the metering on a film camera.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •