Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone has any bad experience with DSLR/SLR during ur overseas trip?

Default Re: Anyone has any bad experience with Dslr/slr during ur overseas trip?

apart from clown's friend.... seems like no one posting their experience on their camera robbery? or isit very uncommon?

Default Re: Anyone has any bad experience with Dslr/slr during ur overseas trip?

If I am worried about my camera, then I won't go to that place in the first instance.

And the plain simple reason is this. I am more worried about my personal safety than the stupid cameras. If a place is so dangerous that someone would point a knife at me just to get my camera, then that knife could get inside me. Fighting is stupid. Even Bruce Lee mentioned that the best defence is running away.

I am not worried about pickpockets because these are opportunists, and your personal health is not at stake. So I do go with my "expensive cameras" to places where pickpockets abound. But take simple sensible precautions. Not leaving your camera on tables etc. When you are concentrating on a subject, make sudden looks backwards to show that you are aware of the presence of opportunists.

Where have I been? Just say that I have been to quite a few places.

And what cameras? D2X? What a joke!
    Last edited by student; 15th February 2006 at 11:38 AM.

I've been to almost the whole of western Europe, I had walked around on the streets during day and night with my camera hanging around my neck, or holding it in my hands, without once feeling that I'll been in danger of being robbed. I had done the same recently in Malacca. Basically most pickpockets will not target your bulky camera, as it is easier to be detected. But if you don't take some simple precaution, then you'll be telling them to steal from you. The same goes for your wallet and other personal belongings. Never leave your stuff unattended or unsecured. I have seen other people lugging along full camera system, like MF camera, and once even a LF camera system with a very bulky tripod.

If you are still afraid, then make sure you go with a partner, or small group of friends. At least you can help to look after one another. And do avoid those deserted backlanes.
    Canon 80D|Panasonic LX3/LX5
    35f2 IS|50f1.8|85f1.8|12-24f4|18-135f4-5.6 IS|28-75f2.8

the story goes like this.. bunch of us were shooting in istanbul near the bridge beside the new mosque. the whole place was crowded and my friend was walking about 10m away from the rest of us. then 2 fellas grabbed his elbows from both sides while in the crowd, attempting to snatch his camera bag or camera. so he swung the tripod into (the face i think) of one of them. but still, yea there are some places where it's most wise not to bring any flashy equipment.
    sigh.

I was shooting with my D70 right in Ko Samui in the middle of Sonkran (Water festival)
    They were nice enough to approcah me and pour water down my back.. so that my camera won't get wet

I have travelled to a couple of places for the past few years and I'm lucky that I have not encountered any bad experiences yet. I usually remind myself to be slightly more alert with my surroundings when I'm overseas because we are too used to the low threat situation in Singapore.

In the case of fighting back with robbers overseas for your camera equipment, I think it is simply not worth it. You never know what sort of weapons they have in hand. You just need to be unlucky once and your life is forever gone.

If you feel heart pain if you lose your dslr then you should buy some insurance that covers part of its cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Clown
    the story goes like this.. bunch of us were shooting in istanbul near the bridge beside the new mosque. the whole place was crowded and my friend was walking about 10m away from the rest of us. then 2 fellas grabbed his elbows from both sides while in the crowd, attempting to snatch his camera bag or camera. so he swung the tripod into (the face i think) of one of them. but still, yea there are some places where it's most wise not to bring any flashy equipment.
    Must be caught by surprise.

I'm not sure if u'd heard of it, but some Shaolin monks know how to fight very well with anything, hoe, spade, shovel down to a simple tek kor (the bamboo stick used to hang clothes).

Basically, they could turn anything they hold into a deadly weapon.
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

Haha... most places I've been to (Eg SE Asian countries, Middle East, Europe), there are loads of Japanese tourists holding huge cameras and lens.... so guess I'm not a prime target afterall

One advise - change ur orginal camera strap to those no brands type, especially DSLRs with big bold words like DIGITAL, or D70s etc.... less eye catching.

keep your camera in a dry cabinet (the most expensive you can afford)
    lock it in a fire-proof safe
    keep it locked up and secure.

come on guys, its just a bloddy camera! just a piece of equipment, for crying out loud!

Besides, they would be more interested in expensive jewelry than you camera.

On a different note:
    To all you equipment geeks, maybe you can identify which camera expensive, brands, lens prices, etc.
    To the average folks out there (and majority of people at that) they dont give a damn.
    A camera is just another piece of tool for taking photos - no reputation, no pro or whatever.
    enough already with the kiasu (wannabee?) mindset! sheesh...
    Last edited by michhy; 15th February 2006 at 11:35 AM.

fully agree with jsbn. been to malaysia and new york city subway at night. in nyc there is a police man in every corner whereas in certain parts of malaysia friends have said there is no cop within 10 mile radius when u need them. agree also with kegler. unless confronted with a single drunk stupid to fight with tripod. one stab i the belly and your hospital bill in new york or elsewhere can buy 50 new cameras. just give them the gear and claim insurance!

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by michhy

come on guys, its just a bloddy camera! just a piece of equipment, for crying out loud!
    Make sure you leave your camera on the tables at the places you go when you're on holiday and don't look at it when you turn your backs.

On a different note:
    To all you equipment geeks, maybe you can identify which camera expensive, brands, lens prices, etc.
    To the average folks out there (and majority of people at that) they dont give a damn.
    A camera is just another piece of tool for taking photos - no reputation, no pro or whatever.
    Don't bet on it, some have sharper eyes then you and can straight away tell what camera just be looking at any side profile of it.

My friend can tell the exact model of a handphone even when the phone is held by the hand and covered up to 90%.

The pickpockets or 'snatchers' normaly work in pair or more. In Paris, one of my friend was trying to take a photo and a group of people (5) just stand around him, acting like tourist and tried to take his wallet. Luckily, he felt one of their hand touching his back pocket, turned around and shouted at them. These people just pretend nothing had happen and merrily moved away. Of course the rest of us go to his help. We had a few more 'close missed' incident during the trip.

One thing I've learned is .. look around you and try to spot them. They are usually stationary and looking for victims. They will looked at you to gauge what is valuable and their risk before moving. If you catch their stares, they will turn away. They will tend to give you a miss if they know you are aware of them. They are also afraid of a fight as the locals dont like them too.

Of course, dont be silly to put your valuable stuff unattended even just beside you. Always have them in front of your eyes when resting or moving. I always hold my camera when walking. These guys are fast ..real pro.

In Amsterdam, lots of crooks and you'll really need to be alert and not go to certain places alone after dark.

Quote Originally Posted by Kin
    The pickpockets or 'snatchers' normaly work in pair or more. In Paris, one of my friend was trying to take a photo and a group of people (5) just stand around him, acting like tourist and tried to take his wallet. Luckily, he felt one of their hand touching his back pocket, turned around and shouted at them. These people just pretend nothing had happen and merrily moved away. Of course the rest of us go to his help. We had a few more 'close missed' incident during the trip.

One thing I've learned is .. look around you and try to spot them. They are usually stationary and looking for victims. They will looked at you to gauge what is valuable and their risk before moving. If you catch their stares, they will turn away. They will tend to give you a miss if they know you are aware of them. They are also afraid of a fight as the locals dont like them too.

Of course, dont be silly to put your valuable stuff unattended even just beside you. Always have them in front of your eyes when resting or moving. I always hold my camera when walking. These guys are fast ..real pro.

In Amsterdam, lots of crooks and you'll really need to be alert and not go to certain places alone after dark.
    Anyway, my 2 cents.

A tripod's more intimidating (especially with all metal one. Not a flimsy looking carbon fibre). But in a situation, a monopod's more effective.
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

Quote Originally Posted by espn
    Make sure you leave your camera on the tables at the places you go when you're on holiday and don't look at it when you turn your backs.
    That is called "inviting trouble"

Quote Originally Posted by espn
    Don't bet on it, some have sharper eyes then you and can straight away tell what camera just be looking at any side profile of it. My friend can tell the exact model of a handphone even when the phone is held by the hand and covered up to 90%.
    That is because your friend is a handphone geek. Its the same that I can tell how a car's engine is modified by listening to the rev, just because I'm a car modification freak, but not everybody gives a crap about it unless they have interest. Just like *most* of us here in CS are camera crazy, but how many % people in general knows crap about cameras? Worse, some people actually thinks that those large SLR (or lookalikes) are "so yesterday" because their idea of a new digital camera is tiny and sleek looking of course, we in CS knows better.

Deregistered

That is because your friend is a handphone geek. Its the same that I can tell how a car's engine is modified by listening to the rev, just because I'm a car modification freak, but not everybody gives a crap about it unless they have interest. Just like *most* of us here in CS are camera crazy, but how many % people in general knows crap about cameras? Worse, some people actually thinks that those large SLR (or lookalikes) are "so yesterday" because their idea of a new digital camera is tiny and sleek looking of course, we in CS knows better.
    That's why I say don't bet on it. He's not a HP geek. Similar there are others well versed in knowledge to know what's worth robbing and what's not. It doesn't take a photographer only to know what camera.

Quote Originally Posted by AReality
    Which part of Bintan?

The resorts in Bintan are surrounded by electric fences and barbed wires and armed guards.

Town area, Tanjong Pinang ... I walk ard w my camera even at night alone ... though you need to be watchful lar ... dun advertise urself too much ...

Quote Originally Posted by jsbn
    Must be caught by surprise.

I'm not sure if u'd heard of it, but some Shaolin monks know how to fight very well with anything, hoe, spade, shovel down to a simple tek kor (the bamboo stick used to hang clothes).

Basically, they could turn anything they hold into a deadly weapon.
    basically, your body IS a deadly weapon. A matter of using the right amt of force on the right places ... a chop to the neck or dig to the eyes always work wonders when all else fails ... but once again, exercise wisdom and you dun need to use force ...

Quote Originally Posted by paradigm
    Town area, Tanjong Pinang ... I walk ard w my camera even at night alone ... though you need to be watchful lar ... dun advertise urself too much ...
    Yep.
    Went there also.
    Wasn't as bad as it looked. Just don't act stupid can already.

use the ballhead attached to the 3pod or 1pod to hantam the bugger head if he tries to be funny, sure see birds circling above his head one
    Quote Originally Posted by redstone
    Then must buy harder tripods...

On a different note:
    i agree camera is just a tool or rather my toy.... my main concern was actually my life of cos robbery i would just give it to them.... but is that the end? not many robbery are for... some just come w/o mask.... they might kill u on e spot just becos u have seen their face. Anyway u mention about average folks aren unable to identify between exp or cheap camera.... worst case u bring a cheapo camera and they thought its an expensive one.... please look at a situaition from all angles n all possibilities.... motorcyclist robbery in malaysia , they basically just grab any one with handbag facing the roadside.... u think they got time to access if the handbag is expensive or does it contain expensive item? but the victim will only know one thing.... being dragged for a few metres away.... Just sharing some infos from my malaysian friends....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast