Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Iran to hang teenage girl attacked by rapists

Default Re: Be Circumspect Please....

Quote Originally Posted by jeryltan
    Nothing else.. My judgement is based on whatever is written in the website.. If my judgement is flawed, it is due to misinformation and not misinterpretation..
    Guess u didn't read this
    When I do right, no one remembers. When I do wrong, no one ever forgets.

Default Re: Iran to hang teenage girl attacked by rapists

oh my.......
    爱是要时间慢慢培养的。。

What the H....

This is called their Law...

hmmm....in fact what the world didnt know is the different things that happens in the world
    of islam.
    It's true that there's only one koran...but are muslims praticing ONE islam or are
    muslims involved in groups who carry the name islam?
    If you say that there's only ONE islam, you right.
    but if you ask, why it's diff in every or certain country or did the koran
    states this and that...then it's time u start thinking abt it.

because the prophet has said that aft his death, Islam will break into
    73 branches and only one is the right one. The rest are not.

And unfortunately, Iran ppl, a majority belongs to one of the branch that
    dont practice the right islamic beliefs.

so broaden your knowledge abt life.
    blog: inbloomphotos.wordpress.com

AMNESTY INTERNATIONAL

Public Statement

AI Index: MDE 13/005/2006 (Public)
    News Service No: 010
    16 January 2006

Iran: Amnesty International calls for end to death penalty for child offenders
    Amnesty International is calling on the Iranian authorities to take immediate steps to end the use of the death penalty for child offenders. Two new cases have been reported in which child offenders – persons under 18 at the time of the crime – have been sentenced to death by Iranian courts, in breach of Iran’s obligations under international human rights law.

On 3 January, 18-year-old Nazanin was sentenced to death for murder by a criminal court, after she reportedly admitted stabbing to death one of three men who attempted to rape her and her 16-year-old niece in a park in Karaj in March 2005. She was seventeen at the time. Her sentence is subject to review by the Court of Appeal, and if upheld, to confirmation by the Supreme Court.

According to reports in the Iranian newspaper, E’temaad, Nazanin told the court that three men had approached her and her niece, forced them to the ground and tried to rape them. Seeking to defend her niece and herself, Nazanin stabbed one man in the hand with a knife that she possessed and then, when the men continued to pursue them, stabbed another of the men in the chest. She reportedly told the court “I wanted to defend myself and my niece. I did not want to kill that boy. At the heat of the moment I did not know what to do because no one came to our help”, but was nevertheless sentenced to death.

Another child offender, 19-year-old Delara Darabi, was sentenced to death by a court in the city of Rasht for a murder committed when she was 17 years old. She denied the killing but the sentence was upheld by the Supreme Court at the beginning of January, though her lawyer is reportedly appealing the decision.

The Persian language news service Aftab reported that Delara Darabi and a 19-year-old man, Amir Hossein, broke into a house intending to commit burglary, but killed the woman who lived there. Delara Darabi initially confessed to the murder, but subsequently retracted her confession and stated that she had admitted responsibility for the murder at the request of Amir Hossein, to help him escape execution, because he believed that she would not be sentenced to death because she was under 18 at the time of the murder. She said that she was under the influence of sedatives during the burglary.

As a state party to the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR) and the Convention on the Rights of the Child (CRC), Iran has undertaken not to execute anyone for an offence committed when they were under the age of 18. Nevertheless, Amnesty International has recorded 18 executions of child offenders in Iran since 1990. In 2005 alone, at least eight executions of child offenders were recorded.

The Iranian authorities have been reported for about four years to be considering passing legislation to ban the use of the death penalty for offences committed under the age of 18. Despite this, over the past two years, the number of child offenders executed has risen. Recent comments by a judiciary spokesperson suggest that the new law would in any case only prohibit the death penalty for certain crimes when committed by children, as he stated that “qisas” crimes (retribution – the sentence issued in cases where defendants are found guilty of murder) were a private, not a state matter. The majority of executions of child offenders in Iran are cases of “qisas” where the individual has been found guilty of murder.

The UN Committee on the Rights of the Child, which monitors states’ compliance with the CRC, in January 2005 urged Iran to immediately stay all executions of people convicted of crimes committed when they were under 18, and to abolish the use of the death penalty in such cases.

On 9 December, Philip Alston, the United Nations Human Rights Commission’s Special Rapporteur on extrajudicial, summary or arbitrary executions, said “At a time when virtually every other country in the world has firmly and clearly renounced the execution of people for crimes they committed as children, the Iranian approach is particularly unacceptable... It is all the more surprising because the obligation to refrain from such executions is not only clear and incontrovertible, but the Government of Iran has itself stated that it will cease this practice.”

Amnesty International is calling on the Iranian authorities to prevent the executions of Delara Darabi and Nazanin and other child offenders, and to take urgent steps to abolish the death penalty for all child offenders in accordance with Iran’s obligations as a state party to the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights and the Convention on the Rights of the Child.

http://www.amnestyusa.org/news/docum...NGMDE130052006

Everybody is entitled to their own opinions..

Quote Originally Posted by GDSNP
    Guess u didn't read this

vince123123
    Guests

It seems that skeptics on the validity of the reports might have to reconsider their position.

Read Althusser.
    When I do right, no one remembers. When I do wrong, no one ever forgets.

Yes but she killed the guy while defending herself.. So isn't it the same??
    'Rape victim' is her defence in her murder prosecution. The trial was contesting whether she was guilty of murder, where she has been found to be.

It may be cold, but that's Law.

vince123123
    Guests

Well, it also seems that there is no right of private defence under Iranian law then.

Quote Originally Posted by foxtwo
    'Rape victim' is her defence in her murder prosecution. The trial was contesting whether she was guilty of murder, where she has been found to be.

It may be cold, but that's Law.

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123
    Well, it also seems that there is no right of private defence under Iranian law then.
    Evident that no lawyer was willing to fight her case that it was a hopeless battle. Even with the right of private defence noone would be willing to hear.

Cultural barriers are difficult to open, the more outsiders force the more obstinate the insiders become. Moreso for Iranians (refer to khairi's post).

Exclamation Re: Iran to hang teenage girl attacked by rapists

Girls in SG should be glad that they live in SG and not in some Mid-East nation.

I believe that Singapore has also a high number of rape cases but just not publicised and there might be countless rape victims not even reporting the rape itself.

Some of the rapists might be friends of the victims and the victim themselves just despair and no nothing about it. sad but really true. who's fault? =D
    I Love You :)

vince123123
    Guests

Well, at least in Singapore, we know that the right of private defence would be relevant.

However, I think what you're saying is that even if there is the relevant legislation providing for private defence, the Iranian courts would just convict and ignore this defence, is that right?

Quote Originally Posted by foxtwo
    Even with the right of private defence noone would be willing to hear.

Quote Originally Posted by Koelsch
    I believe that Singapore has also a high number of rape cases but just not publicised and there might be countless rape victims not even reporting the rape itself.

Some of the rapists might be friends of the victims and the victim themselves just despair and no nothing about it. sad but really true. who's fault? =D
    hmm just like pringles... once u pop... u just can't stop... ooops...

anyway, rape comes in many shape & sizes... and some we see on papers really perv.... like those step father or uncle rape those below legal age boys & girls, and repeatedly & even thru various 'means'... really sickening...

and also those who cry wolf, foul or watever... and those i hope would be rather substituted with the girl in iran... just remember this hong kong girl who went bangkok & claimed she was raped... but in the end wasn't, maybe we should really hang this type of girls...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

However, I think what you're saying is that even if there is the relevant legislation providing for private defence, the Iranian courts would just convict and ignore this defence, is that right?
    yes, i believe that's the case in Iran. not trying to be inflammatory or accusing, just my private opinion. There, culture would dictate how sentencing is carried out.

Even if the girl escapes the gallows this round, there is no guarantee there will be no public repercussions. Please, i'm not saying it is better one way than the other. Just to emphasise it's the culture.

I think there would now be a good market for handguns made to fit in purses in Iran

I am going to design an explosive chastity belt. big market, big market.

vince123123
    Guests

I think a spring-spike belt is better, after all, you dont' want the poor girl to blow off her precious treasures in trying to stop the attacker.

Or better yet, a belt with a hole that contains a built in gullotine!

Quote Originally Posted by hwchoy
    I am going to design an explosive chastity belt. big market, big market.

I think a spring-spike belt is better, after all, you dont' want the poor girl to blow off her precious treasures in trying to stop the attacker.

Or better yet, a belt with a hole that contains a built in gullotine!
    Dun be surprised that many patents already exist for these types of things.

Everybody is entitled to their own opinions..
    Since you want to base your opinion on the report alone, so be it.
    You may be right, you may be wrong.
    But such thinking similar to yours is definitely narrow.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast