Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

Thread: After 1200mm, what else can shoot a bird 100 meters away?

  1. #1

    Default After 1200mm, what else can shoot a bird 100 meters away?

    Just wondering what is the fartherest limit of camera lens.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,252

    Default Re: After 1200mm, what else can shoot a bird 100 meters away?

    i'm currently using a sigma 300-800mm and depending on the size of the bird, 100m is not too far away! Not a problem at all if i use a 1.4x or 2x

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    8,167

    Default Re: After 1200mm, what else can shoot a bird 100 meters away?

    Digiscoping..

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,881

    Default Re: After 1200mm, what else can shoot a bird 100 meters away?

    Get a rifle also can shoot the bird.

  5. #5

    Default Re: After 1200mm, what else can shoot a bird 100 meters away?

    Quote Originally Posted by dRebelXT
    Just wondering what is the fartherest limit of camera lens.
    Have you any idea what kind of tripod and camera you will need for that kind of lens?

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: After 1200mm, what else can shoot a bird 100 meters away?

    Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon
    Have you any idea what kind of tripod and camera you will need for that kind of lens?
    For the 1200mm f/5.6L, it weighs a hefty 16.5kg! So in order to support this lens together with a gd camera (e.g 1D series). A ballhead or panhead and a tripod which can support up to 20kg each. I've seen that.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SGee
    Posts
    1,572

    Default Re: After 1200mm, what else can shoot a bird 100 meters away?

    i tot some telescope got cam adaptors?

  8. #8

    Default Re: After 1200mm, what else can shoot a bird 100 meters away?

    Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz
    i tot some telescope got cam adaptors?
    Yeah. But they are also up to 1200mm unless you get a mirror telescope. Which reminds me, Nikon has (had?) a 2000/11 reflex lens.

  9. #9

    Default Re: After 1200mm, what else can shoot a bird 100 meters away?

    Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle
    For the 1200mm f/5.6L, it weighs a hefty 16.5kg! So in order to support this lens together with a gd camera (e.g 1D series). A ballhead or panhead and a tripod which can support up to 20kg each. I've seen that.
    Yeah.. Unless Nat Geog hires me, I don't think I want to carry such a beast with its legs on any field trip that won't make money. Even a slight breeze would cause the whole thing to vibrate.

  10. #10

    Default Re: After 1200mm, what else can shoot a bird 100 meters away?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis
    Get a rifle also can shoot the bird.
    bad bad dennis.....
    armed robbery gets you hanged..
    armed photograpy? hmmm dunno

    I dun have experience with shooting with large lenses but then in astronomy, its so darn hard to track 'stationary' objects with high magnification. you have to use spotting scopes mounted on it to narrow down the field then use the main lens.
    can't imagine having to track a moving bird. Think I will go crazy..

    anyone here used a mirror lens before? I wld like to buy one for my 350D but not sure of the quality and stuff. I know that the mirror lens is prob going to be all MF though. is it hard to use?
    Last edited by slaam; 14th February 2006 at 11:23 AM.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: After 1200mm, what else can shoot a bird 100 meters away?

    Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon
    Yeah. But they are also up to 1200mm unless you get a mirror telescope. Which reminds me, Nikon has (had?) a 2000/11 reflex lens.
    Wow...that's a lot! Imagine u add a 2X converter becomes 4000mm f/22!!
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: After 1200mm, what else can shoot a bird 100 meters away?

    Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon
    Yeah.. Unless Nat Geog hires me, I don't think I want to carry such a beast with its legs on any field trip that won't make money. Even a slight breeze would cause the whole thing to vibrate.
    Price of the lens is over $100k so it's definitely not worth the money. You can buy a flat with this amount of money or a gd car.

    If one were to carry all these equipment, he must have some helpers and drive a van to carry all of it too.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: After 1200mm, what else can shoot a bird 100 meters away?

    Quote Originally Posted by slaam
    bad bad dennis.....
    armed robbery gets you hanged..
    armed photograpy? hmmm dunno

    I dun have experience with shooting with large lenses but then in astronomy, its so darn hard to track 'stationary' objects with high magnification. you have to use spotting scopes mounted on it to narrow down the field then use the main lens.
    can't imagine having to track a moving bird. Think I will go crazy..

    anyone here used a mirror lens before? I wld like to buy one for my 350D but not sure of the quality and stuff. I know that the mirror lens is prob going to be all MF though. is it hard to use?
    Mirror lens are easily fogged so not worth it. Tamron has a MF 500mm f/8 mirror lens but quality is rather flat.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Bt Batok
    Posts
    768

    Default Re: After 1200mm, what else can shoot a bird 100 meters away?

    d2x + sigma 300-800 + crop center part = best practical/realistic magnification

  15. #15
    Moderator Clown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,779

    Default Re: After 1200mm, what else can shoot a bird 100 meters away?

    1200-1700mm nikkor..
    sigh.

  16. #16

    Default Re: After 1200mm, what else can shoot a bird 100 meters away?

    FYI, the hubble space telescope has a focal length equivalent to 57600mm.



    .

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    West side of S'pore
    Posts
    5,528

    Default Re: After 1200mm, what else can shoot a bird 100 meters away?

    Quote Originally Posted by donchua
    Digiscoping..
    I second this. With scopes, you can get enormous tele power, up to 3000mm or 4000mm. Probably good for record shots of birds at ~50-100m away. Which is a very long way away. Birds ain't elephants or tigers (i.e. they are usually VERY small). Even a 1200mm maybe good only for medium sized birds abt 20-30m away only. And at 100m, many other factors come into play, atmospheric distortion, haze, obstructing objects, etc etc. which would affect image quality even further.

    The best solution? Get as close to the bird as you can.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Perth Australia
    Posts
    2,548

    Default Re: After 1200mm, what else can shoot a bird 100 meters away?

    Quote Originally Posted by dRebelXT
    Just wondering what is the fartherest limit of camera lens.
    How long is a piece of string?

    That's the same essential question.

    With my Nikkor 400/2.8 lenses the limit is around 150 million light years range.
    With my 1200/11 Nikkor the limit is about 50 million light years.
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

  19. #19

    Default Re: After 1200mm, what else can shoot a bird 100 meters away?

    XL2 with EF lens adaptor

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: After 1200mm, what else can shoot a bird 100 meters away?

    Quote Originally Posted by AReality
    FYI, the hubble space telescope has a focal length equivalent to 57600mm.



    .
    Imagine a Canon EF lens having that same focal length.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •