Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Which is more power consuming?

  1. #1

    Question Which is more power consuming?

    lets say switching on the cam with LCD on all the way for 1 full hr

    or

    switching cam on for 15 mins, then off for 5 mins, then on for another 15 mins, then off for 5 mins, until it reached 1 full hr (doesn't incl the 5 mins off time)

    assuming the cam doesnt use mechanic extruding zoom lens ie. pana fz30
    no flash used & amount of photos taken is equal at the end of session.


  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Tanjong Katong
    Posts
    3,710

    Default Re: Which is more power consuming?

    Same.

    Regards,
    Arto.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Which is more power consuming?

    Quote Originally Posted by darkmoon
    lets say switching on the cam with LCD on all the way for 1 full hr

    or

    switching cam on for 15 mins, then off for 5 mins, then on for another 15 mins, then off for 5 mins, until it reached 1 full hr (doesn't incl the 5 mins off time)

    assuming the cam doesnt use mechanic extruding zoom lens ie. pana fz30
    no flash used & amount of photos taken is equal at the end of session.

    The total on time for the "15 mins on and 5 mins off" cycle is only a total of 45 mins. Shouldn't it consume less power? During the ON, is the LCD on all the way also?

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Which is more power consuming?

    When a camera is turned on n off, it uses a significant amount more power than when the LCD is left on.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Which is more power consuming?

    Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle
    When a camera is turned on n off, it uses a significant amount more power than when the LCD is left on.
    Unless I have interpreted the question wrongly (which I usually do. :P), since it doesn't have a mechanical zoom lens, doesn't it mean that no power will be drawn to move the lens in and out when turning on and off? So why should it consume more power?

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Which is more power consuming?

    Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon
    Unless I have interpreted the question wrongly (which I usually do. :P), since it doesn't have a mechanical zoom lens, doesn't it mean that no power will be drawn to move the lens in and out when turning on and off? So why should it consume more power?
    Of cos zoom lens will require a bit more power. But as long as u're turning the camera on n off, it needs power to boot up the camera which can be power hungry. Similar for handphones.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Which is more power consuming?

    Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon
    The total on time for the "15 mins on and 5 mins off" cycle is only a total of 45 mins. Shouldn't it consume less power? During the ON, is the LCD on all the way also?
    ok im juz lazy

    wat i mean is, 15 mins on, for 5 mins, 15 mins on, for 5 mins, 15 mins on, for 5 mins, 15 mins on, for 5 mins.

    total up time for cam is 4x15 mins = 1 hr
    doesnt include the 5 mins off time.

    yes by default the lcd will be on the whole time

  8. #8
    Senior Member Pablo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Blue/Green Planet
    Posts
    1,854

    Default Re: Which is more power consuming?

    Even with self regeneration of charge in the off periods it would be so close as not to matter.

    Why not try the exercise and report back on the outcome

    I for one would love to know.
    Time, is an effortless construction :)

  9. #9

    Default Re: Which is more power consuming?

    Quote Originally Posted by darkmoon
    ok im juz lazy

    wat i mean is, 15 mins on, for 5 mins, 15 mins on, for 5 mins, 15 mins on, for 5 mins, 15 mins on, for 5 mins.

    total up time for cam is 4x15 mins = 1 hr
    doesnt include the 5 mins off time.

    yes by default the lcd will be on the whole time
    Oh. Then I guess the on-off cycle will consume very slightly (almost negligible) more power because the camera will probably need to initialize the processor etc?

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Which is more power consuming?

    On and off is always very power consuming.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,109

    Default Re: Which is more power consuming?

    is it really that important? I say, just bring extra battery and worry more about getting that shot of the right moment.

    I guess for DC, it could be important to leave the cam on, due to its slow start-up time but for me, i make it a habit to just switch off whenever I don't use the camera. So that I won't forget to switch it off.
    "Photography is an austere and blazing poetry of the real" -Ansel Adams

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Which is more power consuming?

    For me i always put it to power saving mode, so after 3mins of inactivity, it'll turn off by itself.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Perth Australia
    Posts
    2,548

    Exclamation Re: Which is more power consuming?

    Quote Originally Posted by darkmoon
    lets say switching on the cam with LCD on all the way for 1 full hr

    or

    switching cam on for 15 mins, then off for 5 mins, then on for another 15 mins, then off for 5 mins, until it reached 1 full hr (doesn't incl the 5 mins off time)

    assuming the cam doesnt use mechanic extruding zoom lens ie. pana fz30
    no flash used & amount of photos taken is equal at the end of session.

    With the time the camera is ON being equal.

    Turning the camera on and off will use more total power (ie: watts/hour) as the camera's electronics and electromechanical systems consume quite large amounts of power when starting up.
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •