Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 33 of 33

Thread: what to use??

  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: what to use??

    Quote Originally Posted by dkw
    As with catchlights and roti_prata, I am finding it very difficult to believe you can get any kind of decent exposure with f8 and ISO 800 for a normally lit indoor performance, with shutter speed of 1/60 some more! For the few occasions I have tried, at ISO 800 and f2 I can barely get 1/30s.
    That's why u've to try to believe...i did that and it really happens, believe it or not.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  2. #22
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: what to use??

    it must have been a well lit place

    we will only know if we are there

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: what to use??

    Quote Originally Posted by ortega
    it must have been a well lit place

    we will only know if we are there
    Of cos there're some spotlights but overall the place is rather dim. Apart from the audience seats, only the stage is lit.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  4. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    CCK
    Posts
    1,051

    Default Re: what to use??

    Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle
    That's why u've to try to believe...i did that and it really happens, believe it or not.
    Its not a matter of trying or not trying. What you are suggesting is 3-4 stops of light LOWER than what most people here can accomplish. I know what will happen if I shot f8 and ISO 800 at an indoor performance as you have described, w/o flash. I will be hand holding at 1/5 to 1/10sec AT BEST, probably slower. Unless you are really pushing hard during film development (which I know nuts about), or the stage is fantastically well lit, I can't really see how you can be getting good exposures. Light is light, aperture is aperture, ISO is ISO, they don't change from 1 cam to another. I'm not saying that you are deliberately falsely representing your findings, but what you are describing is so out of the ordinary that I suspect there is an error somewhere or some other factor is at play.

    Cheers,

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: what to use??

    Quote Originally Posted by dkw
    Its not a matter of trying or not trying. What you are suggesting is 3-4 stops of light LOWER than what most people here can accomplish. I know what will happen if I shot f8 and ISO 800 at an indoor performance as you have described, w/o flash. I will be hand holding at 1/5 to 1/10sec AT BEST, probably slower. Unless you are really pushing hard during film development (which I know nuts about), or the stage is fantastically well lit, I can't really see how you can be getting good exposures. Light is light, aperture is aperture, ISO is ISO, they don't change from 1 cam to another. I'm not saying that you are deliberately falsely representing your findings, but what you are describing is so out of the ordinary that I suspect there is an error somewhere or some other factor is at play.

    Cheers,
    How the photo lab developed it i dunno, but what i got is a well-exposed shot.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  6. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Bt Batok
    Posts
    768

    Default Re: what to use??

    snoweagle, my question is: how is using f8 and a slower shutter better thn using for example f5.6 and a faster shutter?

  7. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: what to use??

    Quote Originally Posted by roti_prata
    snoweagle, my question is: how is using f8 and a slower shutter better thn using for example f5.6 and a faster shutter?
    It's the depth of field that counts.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  8. #28

    Default Re: what to use??

    stand right in front, use 16mm, use asa1600, u wont get alot of handshake then....

  9. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    West of S'pore
    Posts
    999

    Default Re: what to use??

    f8 and 1/60...!! thats really like a nice overcast day already, talk about indoor theatre!! wow. must be really bright floodlights.

  10. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    West of S'pore
    Posts
    999

    Default Re: what to use??

    Quote Originally Posted by DT_
    stand right in front, use 16mm, use asa1600, u wont get alot of handshake then....
    i agree. use wide lens, heavy body, hold steady, 1/15 1/20 I think can lah.

  11. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: what to use??

    Quote Originally Posted by doug3fflux
    i agree. use wide lens, heavy body, hold steady, 1/15 1/20 I think can lah.
    1/15 or 1/20 without a tripod sure will handshake, even with IS.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  12. #32
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    West of S'pore
    Posts
    999

    Default Re: what to use??

    then you have parkinsons. =|

  13. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: what to use??

    Quote Originally Posted by doug3fflux
    then you have parkinsons. =|
    Really will handshake, unless u support yr arms on something.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •