Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Excellent resolution = Excellent image quality??

  1. #1

    Default Excellent resolution = Excellent image quality??

    As above. Are they equivalent? Pls enlighten.
    Thank you.
    Last edited by Falcon; 20th November 2002 at 08:10 PM.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Excellent resolution = Excellent image quality??

    Originally posted by Falcon
    As above. Are they equivalent? Pls enlighten.
    Thank you.
    May not be true. Excellent (high) resolution images do contain more details and are likely to look better when printed. But if the quality is not sharp or that it has severe Chromatic Aberrations, I wouldn't say that it has excellent image quality.

    High (excellent) resolution with excellent image quality will be a deadly combination...

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    6,405

    Default Re: Excellent resolution = Excellent image quality??

    Originally posted by Falcon
    As above. Are they equivalent? Pls enlighten.
    Thank you.
    Not necessary. It's a matter of quantity vs quality. Other factors like CCD quality, lens used, image processing algorithm, etc are very important too.

    A 3+ megapixel Canon D30 can probably beat the crap out of a 5mp Coolpix 5700, for example.

    Regards
    CK

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    L2TPYSG
    Posts
    4,057

    Default Re: Re: Excellent resolution = Excellent image quality??

    Originally posted by ckiang


    Not necessary. It's a matter of quantity vs quality. Other factors like CCD quality, lens used, image processing algorithm, etc are very important too.

    A 3+ megapixel Canon D30 can probably beat the crap out of a 5mp Coolpix 5700, for example.

    Regards
    CK
    yeah think colour noise (chrominance) is a killer to prozumer cams
    "I'm... dreaming... of a wide... angle~
    Just like the ones I used to know~"

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,911

    Default

    Noise, dynamic range. Chromatic abberations wouldn't be high on my list, and I'd put that down more to the lens than resolution issues.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Perth Australia
    Posts
    2,548

    Default Re: Excellent resolution = Excellent image quality??

    Originally posted by Falcon
    As above. Are they equivalent? Pls enlighten.
    Thank you.
    No Excellent 'resolution' doesn't mean great image quality as there's two sides to the coin, one is the lens and the other the recording medium, each has to be dealt with seperately and finally as a whole.

    So which one are you refering to, lens, or recording medium?
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

  7. #7

    Default Re: Re: Excellent resolution = Excellent image quality??

    Originally posted by Ian


    No Excellent 'resolution' doesn't mean great image quality as there's two sides to the coin, one is the lens and the other the recording medium, each has to be dealt with seperately and finally as a whole.

    So which one are you refering to, lens, or recording medium?
    I am not sure either. I came across the term "excellent resolution" for a particular cam many times when I am looking over the reviews at various review sites or magazines. What are they refering to in this case?

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Perth Australia
    Posts
    2,548

    Default Re: Re: Re: Excellent resolution = Excellent image quality??

    Originally posted by Falcon


    I am not sure either. I came across the term "excellent resolution" for a particular cam many times when I am looking over the reviews at various review sites or magazines. What are they refering to in this case?
    Assuming it's a digicam they are refering to the combination of optics and CCD producing images which resolve fine detail well.

    If it's a film camera it will largely depend on if it has an interchangable lens or fixed lens. If it's a fixed lens camera (eg P&S) then it will be a combination of optics and film used in the test.

    If it's an SLR lens then it refers to the lens and how it produces an image on film.

    If it's film it refers to how fine the grain structure is and how 'sharp' the film is.
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •