Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: Flash Guide Number

  1. #1

    Default Flash Guide Number

    What is flash guide number and what difference does it have from the power of the flash?

  2. #2
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Flash Guide Number


  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Flash Guide Number

    Quote Originally Posted by megascriler
    What is flash guide number and what difference does it have from the power of the flash?
    Flash guide number is usually stated in metres at ISO100. A higher guide number have a longer flash range.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Flash Guide Number

    Then why is it that people here say that the flash of the Fujifilm Finepix V10 is stronger than the flash of the F10 when the F10 has a flash that can reach 6.5m(specs), whereas the V10 has a flash that reaches on 3.5m(specs).

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Bt. Timah
    Posts
    1,354

    Default Re: Flash Guide Number

    Flash range depends on the selected ISO and aperture. There is no fixed range... the guide no.s are quoted for a given ISO. Also note the unit of measure... some quote in feet others in metres.
    Last edited by solarii; 12th February 2006 at 03:09 PM.

  6. #6
    Senior Member denniskee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    bukit batok
    Posts
    5,468

    Default Re: Flash Guide Number

    Quote Originally Posted by megascriler
    Then why is it that people here say that the flash of the Fujifilm Finepix V10 is stronger than the flash of the F10 when the F10 has a flash that can reach 6.5m(specs), whereas the V10 has a flash that reaches on 3.5m(specs).
    taken from dpreview

    Finepix V10
    Flash guide no. 4.4 m (14.4 ft) 4 m

    Finepix F10
    Flash guide no. 3.0 m (9.8 ft) 0 m

    it is correct base on the info stated in "dpreview".

    when in doubt, ask "dpreview"
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Flash Guide Number

    Quote Originally Posted by solarii
    Flash range depends on the selected ISO and aperture. There is no fixed range... the guide no.s are quoted for a given ISO. Also note the unit of measure... some quote in feet others in metres.
    Usually those from U.S. sites quote in feet.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Perth Australia
    Posts
    2,548

    Default Re: Flash Guide Number

    Quote Originally Posted by megascriler
    What is flash guide number and what difference does it have from the power of the flash?
    The flash guide number is normally quoted in either meters or feet for a given ISO rating and refers to the full output of the flash unit. For Example, a typical high powered flash unit may have a guide number (GN) of 60m @100 ISO. You need to be aware that there are NO standards for specifiying the GN of a flash, so a manufacturer may use 100 or 400 to specify the GN depending on the model of camera.

    You also need to be aware that the GN of many flashes is somewhat over optimistic in nature, it's not uncommon for manufacturers to inflate the real GN by up to 50%.

    To turn this in to a practical figure that you can use, in otherwords the effective range of the flash unit you need to divide the Guide Number (GN) by the working aperture of the lens. eg: Effective Flash range is GN/f.

    For Example, a flash unit with a GN of 60m when used with a lens set at F4 will have an effective range of 60 / 4 = 15m. While using the same GN 60 flash at F2.8 will result in an effective range of 21.4m and so on.

    When changing ISO ratings you multiply by 1.4 for each doubling (1 stop increase) of the ISO speed, eg: 100-200 ISO multiply the result by 1.4, 200-400 ISO is another 1.4x and 400-800 is another 1.4x. When going from a higher to lower speed (1 stop) you multiply the result by 0.7 for each halving of the ISO.

    Hope this helps.
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

  9. #9
    Senior Member denniskee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    bukit batok
    Posts
    5,468

    Default Re: Flash Guide Number

    in full flash @ ISO 100
    Metz 60 series flash has a GN of 60 @ 35mm

    Metz 76 series has a GN of 76 @ 105mm, but only 48 @ 35mm flash head zoom setting.

    550ex has a GN of 55 @ 105mm. but only 36 @ 35mm flash head zoom setting.

    so it is advicible to read the specification correctly.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Flash Guide Number

    Metz flash are indeed powerful.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Flash Guide Number

    Thanks. I get it now. Then what about the flash distances used by DCResource reviews? It isn't guide number, then what is it? The maximum power of the flash? It says the flash on the F10 reaches 6.5m.

    And, what is a flash motion/exposure sensor for?

  12. #12

    Default Re: Flash Guide Number

    A bit confused. Is there a way to convert the flash guide number from 35mm to 105mm for the same ISO no?

  13. #13
    Senior Member denniskee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    bukit batok
    Posts
    5,468

    Default Re: Flash Guide Number

    Quote Originally Posted by megascriler
    Thanks. I get it now. Then what about the flash distances used by DCResource reviews? It isn't guide number, then what is it? The maximum power of the flash? It says the flash on the F10 reaches 6.5m.
    ah, i thought you got it??
    see, did they quote at what aperture, iso?

    taken from dpreivew
    Flash
    Built-in pop-up flash
    Modes: Auto, Red-eye reduction, On/Off, Slow Synch, Red-eye reduction + Slow Synch
    Range: (wide) 6.5 m, (tele) 4 m, (macro) 80cm
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Flash Guide Number

    Quote Originally Posted by elcap
    A bit confused. Is there a way to convert the flash guide number from 35mm to 105mm for the same ISO no?
    I doubt so.

    Maybe unless you can try those flash with manual functions which can adjust the output range of the flash to your liking.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Eastern Part
    Posts
    306

    Default Re: Flash Guide Number

    Don't forget that guide numbers are also referenced to an aperture of F1 so if your lens has a max aperture of F2.8, then inreality, with the iso fixed at 100, you only get 1/3 the distance. ie GN 60 will probably give you a good 20m to work with.
    If you are using a long lens, you can always increase the flash power by adding a fresnal magnifier infront of your flash. This will focus the light into a narrower concentrated beam of light. I have actually managed about 40-50m with my Nikon SB26 @400mm F1/5.6, iso100.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Flash Guide Number

    Quote Originally Posted by MDZ2
    Don't forget that guide numbers are also referenced to an aperture of F1 so if your lens has a max aperture of F2.8, then inreality, with the iso fixed at 100, you only get 1/3 the distance. ie GN 60 will probably give you a good 20m to work with.
    If you are using a long lens, you can always increase the flash power by adding a fresnal magnifier infront of your flash. This will focus the light into a narrower concentrated beam of light. I have actually managed about 40-50m with my Nikon SB26 @400mm F1/5.6, iso100.
    Ah something new i've learnt. The flash magnifier i've seen it before, but only in photography books
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Flash Guide Number

    So 6.5m is just the power of the flash at F1?

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    The heart of the Abyss
    Posts
    2,307

    Default Re: Flash Guide Number

    Quote Originally Posted by elcap
    A bit confused. Is there a way to convert the flash guide number from 35mm to 105mm for the same ISO no?
    It is not that difficult but needs some work only. Some makers will specify both but the concept to convert is to calculate area of exposure. Since you can calculate FOV from focal length, assuming a 3/2 ratio, you can calculate the rest. I'm sure someone on the net has done it...

    Edit: Look from this chart at the bottom of the page from Canon. You can calculate the rest.
    Last edited by Watcher; 16th February 2006 at 09:59 PM.

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Eastern Part
    Posts
    306

    Default Re: Flash Guide Number

    Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle
    Ah something new i've learnt. The flash magnifier i've seen it before, but only in photography books
    You can easily make a magnifier yourself (and it can also be used over your zoom flash to increase the reach)
    basically, you only need the magnifier which you can buy from most bookshop. Just ask for the map reader. They come in a few sizes from about 4"X 2" to about 1/2 A4 size. Should not cost more than $10 for the largest. I got the smallest for about $2
    As for mounting it to the flash, you will have to use your imagination as there are just too many ways to do it to mention here.

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Flash Guide Number

    Quote Originally Posted by MDZ2
    You can easily make a magnifier yourself (and it can also be used over your zoom flash to increase the reach)
    basically, you only need the magnifier which you can buy from most bookshop. Just ask for the map reader. They come in a few sizes from about 4"X 2" to about 1/2 A4 size. Should not cost more than $10 for the largest. I got the smallest for about $2
    As for mounting it to the flash, you will have to use your imagination as there are just too many ways to do it to mention here.
    Hmmm sounds interesting. But i still dunno how to make one hehe
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •