Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: shooting raw or jpeg

Default Re: shooting raw or jpeg

bitch fight... fantastic stuff. who would have thought that a simple question could start this?

i can't believe that no-one has question why a guy who owns a 5D is asking questions about raw vs. jpeg??? am i the only one who sees something wrong with this?

how many pics do u take on average?
    how much time r u willing to spend processing them?

i shoot something like 900 pics for a full day,
    too tired to PP,
    so jpeg.

banner outside my shop was printed using a jpeg
    file i shot using iso800,
    measuring 80x200cm.
    good enough to even view it 30cm away.

jude
    ps- try print some of ur pics of raw n jpeg at ur regular size,
    if u can't see the diff, then go for the easy one.

Quote Originally Posted by wildstallion
    ... there are no disadvantages to shooting raw except that they are bigger an that you cannot view them as thumbnails in folders and you usually have to save as an uncompressed jpeg or tiff to print.
    Just a note: You are absolutely correct that Windows cannot view RAW files as thumbnails (very annoying and I am hoping that M$ get moving on this), but all is not lost - Adobe's Bridge (and I think Aperture for the Mac) can view RAW files as thumbnails, as can programmes like Canon's Zoombrowser.

I would recommend RAW for the important pictures, and JPEG for anything else that is being shot just for fun. If you have the space then you might want to take the advice on shooting both RAW and JPEG, and discarding the ones you don't want.

Best advice: try both, see which you prefer...

J

Quote Originally Posted by judeseah
    how many pics do u take on average?
    how much time r u willing to spend processing them?

i shoot something like 900 pics for a full day,
    too tired to PP,
    so jpeg.
    Unless you are just taking holiday pictures (maybe) most images will see some post processing as you want to control the amount of levels and sharpening to suit your printer and paper.

With the right raw software, I find that I actually spend less time post processing images than I do with JPEG. How does 30 seconds per RAW image sound like? If you take 900 pictures (or 25 rolls of film in the old days), I am not even convinced that all 900 images are worthy 100% keepers and this is also where the workflow involves sorting out the best few from the ok ones and the ones that is meant for trash.

My 2 cents anyways

Quote Originally Posted by justyn
    Just a note: You are absolutely correct that Windows cannot view RAW files as thumbnails (very annoying and I am hoping that M$ get moving on this)
    Actually, M$ has a free downloadable plugin that allows Windows to display Canon and Nikon Raw file thumbnails...

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...10d-4ce4-a141-

and of course, Phase One digital back RAW files can display thumbnails in Windows...

the new win xp [plug-in] doesn't just display [raw] thumbnails, it allows 100% view as well! and rudimentary exif data.
    Last edited by d7t3; 15th February 2006 at 10:51 PM.

Hey, that's great. Thanks for the tip... Should make life MUCH easier
    J

Quote Originally Posted by theRBK
    Actually, M$ has a free downloadable plugin that allows Windows to display Canon and Nikon Raw file thumbnails...

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...10d-4ce4-a141-

and of course, Phase One digital back RAW files can display thumbnails in Windows...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12