Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: would you use your dslr to take video shoots?

Default Re: would you use your dslr to take video shoots?

Quote Originally Posted by mpenza
    DSLRs are not fast enough lah small compact cameras could take 30/60fps, much more than 8-8.5 fps of the fastest DSLRs.
    video not necessary must be 30fps mah

in fact, some lower end compact cam use motion-jpeg, usually the fps only 15 @ VGA quality

Quote Originally Posted by Wai
    video not necessary must be 30fps mah

in fact, some lower end compact cam use motion-jpeg, usually the fps only 15 @ VGA quality
    Motion JPEG...is it the same as GIF? Cos my compact digicam have this function and also have a motion multi-burst function able to set at different speeds of capture.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle
    Motion JPEG...is it the same as GIF? Cos my compact digicam have this function and also have a motion multi-burst function able to set at different speeds of capture.
    gif only 256 colour, but motion jpeg are still jpeg, the file extension should be AVI. their file size is much bigger because the compression algo is not as good as mpeg-1 or divx (mpeg-4)

DSLRs are not fast enough lah small compact cameras could take 30/60fps, much more than 8-8.5 fps of the fastest DSLRs.
    But not at that kind of resolution mah..

Quote Originally Posted by Wai
    gif only 256 colour, but motion jpeg are still jpeg, the file extension should be AVI. their file size is much bigger because the compression algo is not as good as mpeg-1 or divx (mpeg-4)
    I see...thanx for the enlightenment Haven't really tried that but my video records under MPEG-1.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

Quote Originally Posted by mich_2103
    Well, my answer for you is no because for the fact that I don't believe in equipment that has various "multi-tasking" features, i.e., a phone that can take 5mp photos etc.
    so you dont believe in a personal computer?

so weird, using SLR-type cameras as video cameras. yea of cos if they wanna build in the video-taking capability they gotta modify the design of the slr too. wonder what it will look like. one thing is that SLRs are meant to look through the viewfinder, so u cant expect to take videos with your eye in the viewfinder all the time right? and since u don't want to look into the viewfinder all the time when taking video, why would u wanna have video capability in DSLR?

imho, the best equipment out there are those with precise and specific capabilities, not those with multi-functions. did u know the most expensive phone out there in the market costs $10k+, and has no other function but to make calls?(correct me if i'm wrong on this. i heard bout this phone quite some time ago)

Not practical for DSLRs to have video recording capability, might as well be better off with a dedicated digital video camera.

Not practical for DSLRs to have video recording capability, might as well be better off with a dedicated digital video camera.
    I agree with that. Things get complicated when they have too much function. Get one SLR to shoot still pictures, and a video camera to shoot videos. Get the best out of both world.

Quote Originally Posted by aspire
    I agree with that. Things get complicated when they have too much function. Get one SLR to shoot still pictures, and a video camera to shoot videos. Get the best out of both world.
    Yes. Dedicated devices are much better than one which has multiple functions. Even if DSLRs were to have video recording capability, the internal structure have to be modified too and also the lens type have to be changed.

Yes. Dedicated devices are much better than one which has multiple functions. Even if DSLRs were to have video recording capability, the internal structure have to be modified too and also the lens type have to be changed.
    No. The lens need not be changed. All that needs to be done is to leave the shutter open and route the 'live' images from the CCD to the LCD as a viewfinder (the optical viewfinder cannot be used anymore because the mirror is up), AF sensing would have to be done by contrast detection using the CCD. So a powerful processor would also be needed to handle all that real time processing.
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 14th February 2006 at 09:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon
    No. The lens need not be changed. All that needs to be done is to leave the shutter open and route the 'live' images from the CCD to the LCD as a viewfinder (the optical viewfinder cannot be used anymore because the mirror is up), AF sensing would have to be done by contrast detection using the CCD. So a powerful processor would also be needed to handle all that real time processing.
    That's why i said better be off with a digital video camera.

i guess one thing too is that there is no demand for a video-taking DSLR.
    or at least, videocams already have their own entrenched market.

but videocams nowadays also have image capture, even if at low megapixel settings. for some people DV is their priority, and they are happy with the quality of pics produced in their DV cams.

how about people whose priority is great pics made with a SLR, and also good to have VGA quality movie taking in the same device? plus you get to switch lens! i would seriously consider getting such a camera.

i guess the technology, cost of development and manufacturing, demand etc has to come together to see a video-taking DSLR to become a reality.

Quote Originally Posted by igpenguin
    i guess one thing too is that there is no demand for a video-taking DSLR.
    or at least, videocams already have their own entrenched market.

but videocams nowadays also have image capture, even if at low megapixel settings. for some people DV is their priority, and they are happy with the quality of pics produced in their DV cams.

how about people whose priority is great pics made with a SLR, and also good to have VGA quality movie taking in the same device? plus you get to switch lens! i would seriously consider getting such a camera.

i guess the technology, cost of development and manufacturing, demand etc has to come together to see a video-taking DSLR to become a reality.
    Yes DV cams can take pics, some up to 3MP (as much as my compact digicam) but the quality is not very gd compared to the same pixel count on a dedicated digital still camera.

I'm a complete newbie so pardon me, but why ah? How come expensive comera lesser fps even when the shutter is faster?

Quote Originally Posted by Jock
    I'm a complete newbie so pardon me, but why ah? How come expensive comera lesser fps even when the shutter is faster?
    If u're talking about full frame DSLRs, the reason why they currently max out at 3fps (4fps with EOS 1Ds Mk II) is becos being a full frame, the processor requires longer time to transfer the pic after it's taken to the CF card compared to APS sizes of CMOS sensors. Full frames are of cos larger too.

It's definitely has something to do with sensor size.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnie84
    imho, the best equipment out there are those with precise and specific capabilities, not those with multi-functions. did u know the most expensive phone out there in the market costs $10k+, and has no other function but to make calls?(correct me if i'm wrong on this. i heard bout this phone quite some time ago)
    Nokia used to sell such phones... Under some funny moniker
    Think they're like gold plated with full titanium bodies or something..
    LOL you get 24/7 concierge service alonge with the phone, IIRC.

As for taking video with dSLR, unless we move out from the primitive design, we're going to be shooting blind? mirror flips up when cmos/ccd is exposed to light. LOL I won't be surprised if the next generation of Olympus dSLRS will be able to take video. After all, they've re-invented part of the very basics of SLR for their next model (the one with live preview).

It's a matter of time some smart alec is going to replace the 2nd ccd sensor in the Olympus E-330 with a respectable one and tada, fully capable of video recording like a consumer digicam and taking photos with SLR quality.

Anyway small compact cameras take at 640x480 (0.32mb per frame), working out to be 9.6mb per second.
    dSLR (say, 20D) takes at 5FPS (1 jpg = 4mb), working out to be 20mb per second.

It has more to do with the fact that dSLR, lesser images recorded but of higher quality. for small cameras, it's more images, of much lower quality.
    In the end, it's quality vs quantity.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12