Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Review of X-drive (Brief)

  1. #1

    Default Review of X-drive (Brief)

    X-Drive Review
    Tested by megaweb
    Date : 1st November 2002


    Introduction
    Sorry for the delay of the review of the x-drive due to I am busy recently with other works. Here is the simple review that I have done. I manage to get 6 different type of media to test out and refer to below table for the results.


    URLs



    Overviews
    Xs-Drive is a revolutionary portable storage device mainly for digital camera users. It can be used as media card reader too. It supports all of industry's storage cards (without any additional adapters), such as Compact Flash (Type I & II) (CF), IBM Microdrive, Smart Media (SM), Secure Digital (SD) , MultiMedia Card (MMC) and Memory Stick. It has a built-in rechargeable Lithium-ion battery which allows 2.5 hours of usage on a full charge. No more wire tangling out of battery packs!


    Screenshots



    Data transfer Tests


    Time taken to transfer 1 Gig byte of files from x-drive to PC is about 55 minutes.

    Time taken to transfer 1 Gig byte of files from PC to x-drive is about 30 minutes.

    *Card is not supported , thus cannot transfer any file.


    Conclusion

    Pros
    • support 6 industry's storage cards ( Compact Flash (Type I & II) (CF) , IBM Microdrive ,Smart Media (SM) ,Secure Digital (SD) ,MultiMedia Card (MMC) & Memory Stick )
    • built-in rechargeable Lithium-ion battery
    • able to read the media directly from the PC
    • support external Power Pack ( 8x AA ) for emergency usuage



    Cons
    • No file verification capability to ensure proper images are being transferred.
    • While performing file transfer from the media into the x-drive , ensure the x-drive Harddisk LED indicator is ready. If not , the file will not be transfered into the x-drive.
    • Smart Media card with ID cannot work with x-drive




    If you have any useful tip on x-drive which you want to share with the rest , you can pm it to me so that I can include it into my review information ...
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

  2. #2

    Default

    I don't get it..

    So u just take photos till u run out of space on ur media card, then transfer them over to the x-drive so that u can re-use ur media card?? Is that what they are saying?

    Ervine Lin

  3. #3

    Default

    Originally posted by enivre
    I don't get it..

    So u just take photos till u run out of space on ur media card, then transfer them over to the x-drive so that u can re-use ur media card?? Is that what they are saying?

    Ervine Lin
    Yes.. and you don't have to wait until the media to get used up and then transfer. As and when you like, you can transfer. then you can use the media again. The device act as a storage. So if you not going to get those many 512MB etc cards, you can use the device to store the pic.

  4. #4

    Default

    I see.. a little ex huh...
    think get one 1GB MD more than enough right? I could hardly finish my 128MB in Sungei Buloh at 3MP Fine...

    Hm... anyway what are the comments on this device?

  5. #5

    Default

    Originally posted by enivre
    I see.. a little ex huh...
    think get one 1GB MD more than enough right? I could hardly finish my 128MB in Sungei Buloh at 3MP Fine...

    Hm... anyway what are the comments on this device?
    looks pretty cheap (wait for MO price ) to me. Per Megabyte definitely cheaper than buying memory cards.

    But like the review says, no way to confirm if the pictures successfully transferred (one clubsnapper recently had a problem with the imagetank...) Can u imagine going on holiday for 2 weeks and transferring 2 weeks of shots and finding out when you get home that they actually didn't transfer properly?

    Makes me want to consider something with replay function, like the digital data player (also sold by firefish)


    I'm still waiting for usb 2.0. Going up to usb 2.0 will at most result in a tiny increase in cost yet increase its usability tremendously (can use as a regular mobile harddisk for non-photo applications when not on photo trips)

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    u n k n o w n
    Posts
    692

    Default

    Originally posted by erwinx


    But like the review says, no way to confirm if the pictures successfully transferred (one clubsnapper recently had a problem with the imagetank...) Can u imagine going on holiday for 2 weeks and transferring 2 weeks of shots and finding out when you get home that they actually didn't transfer properly?

    quite agree. Even though you do not know whether the data/images are successfully transferred or not, but there is an indication denote that the transfer is progessing. Isn't it?
    I am going for 1 month. Later no pictures I cry

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    u n k n o w n
    Posts
    692

    Default

    btw, we need to format the xdrive before initial usage. And format the memory card after each transfer. I think that will ensure you can transfer the images successfully. Oh, yeah, you should not move the xdrive when some data are transfering.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Singapore City, Singapore
    Posts
    917

    Default

    Below are my comments, as I have recently tested on my X-drive on a trip to Bangkok and managed to chalk up 2.5 GB of images.

    Pros:
    + Can serve as auxiliary card reader unit on your computer.
    + Other than digital camera, can also serve as portable data storages between computers
    + External battery pack is also offered for the dire situation when the build in battery runs flat.
    + Sturdy as long as not powered on. My first hand experience was that this unit bumped and moved alot in my camera bag but so far, no bad sectors, no problem.
    + It comes with a nice leather casing which has pockets to allow you to keep a few memory card as well as a mesh pouch inside to allow you to keep batteries (or that's what I did).

    Cons:
    + USB 1.0 is too slow. It took me about an hour to transfer 2.5 GB of data from X-Drive to computer.
    + X-drive is still too bulky. It's like a brick, thought it's considerably light in weight (dun be cheated by the appearance)


    Overall, a worthy investment in my opinion.

  9. #9

    Default

    Originally posted by 007
    btw, we need to format the xdrive before initial usage. And format the memory card after each transfer. I think that will ensure you can transfer the images successfully. Oh, yeah, you should not move the xdrive when some data are transfering.
    the best safeguard seems to buy 2 X-drive! if you're going on a once in a lifetime 30 day holiday, seems like a reasonable investment. at most sell one 2nd hand after the trip (appears to be cheaper to buy 2 x-drive than say, one nixvue vista?)

  10. #10

    Default

    No, get a ultra portable (laptop).

    Yes, it is more expensive, but hey! Its a laptop!!

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    u n k n o w n
    Posts
    692

    Default

    Originally posted by erwinx


    the best safeguard seems to buy 2 X-drive! if you're going on a once in a lifetime 30 day holiday, seems like a reasonable investment. at most sell one 2nd hand after the trip (appears to be cheaper to buy 2 x-drive than say, one nixvue vista?)
    thanks. But out of my budget limit Will bet this time. Hope that nothing happen. if not......... ---> until I and I will firefish

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •