Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 51

Thread: Any place with good Hi-Fi to watch your own DVD?

  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Siglap
    Posts
    1,652

    Default Re: Any place with good Hi-Fi to watch your own DVD?

    Quote Originally Posted by wind30
    Dethangle,

    which SVS you got? I have the PB12-Ultra/2.

    I remember telling my ID to do the false ceiling properly and the cabinet doors tight else will rattle when I turn on my sub. She did not believe me. In the end, she got to fix the cabinet doors in the kitchen as they rattle too much.

    but the rattling has tamed quite a lot after getting a BFD. You MUST get a BFD to equalise the bass response. A LOT of improvement for $200....
    ... that's a huge **** ... .. i wanted the cylinders .. but sadly they don't export those anymore. ... i've ordered the PB10-ISD for my room's HT. I already intend to get the BFD ... then i've got more reading to do @ xtremeplace regarding the setup ...

    Living room already running a home made 15" monster powered by a monoblock ...

  2. #22

    Default Re: Any place with good Hi-Fi to watch your own DVD?

    Quote Originally Posted by markccm
    still low end lah.

    no kick at all...
    what is high end?

    Actually I think most systems can go louder than what my ear can handle Do you need 860W into 4ohms?

    I don't think I even tax 20% of my poweramp power.

  3. #23
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Asylum, Ward 4444
    Posts
    2,095

    Default Re: Any place with good Hi-Fi to watch your own DVD?

    Quote Originally Posted by wind30
    what is high end?

    Actually I think most systems can go louder than what my ear can handle Do you need 860W into 4ohms?

    I don't think I even tax 20% of my poweramp power.
    i dun deal in home audio.

    860w into 4ohms?
    thats still small power.

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Siglap
    Posts
    1,652

    Default Re: Any place with good Hi-Fi to watch your own DVD?

    Quote Originally Posted by wind30
    what is high end?

    Actually I think most systems can go louder than what my ear can handle Do you need 860W into 4ohms?

    I don't think I even tax 20% of my poweramp power.
    You don't want to dabble with pro-audio man .. i've played with these systems.. now my room's hifi partially also pro-audio

  5. #25

    Default Re: Any place with good Hi-Fi to watch your own DVD?

    errr... so I guess you have big field somewhere to listen to the pro audio???

    for home users like me, 100W is good enough already

  6. #26
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Asylum, Ward 4444
    Posts
    2,095

    Default Re: Any place with good Hi-Fi to watch your own DVD?

    does not need to be a big field.

    try Kling & Freitag speakers or the Nexo Alpha series.
    or u want precision for sound reinforcement, try d&b.

  7. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Siglap
    Posts
    1,652

    Default Re: Any place with good Hi-Fi to watch your own DVD?

    Quote Originally Posted by wind30
    errr... so I guess you have big field somewhere to listen to the pro audio???

    for home users like me, 100W is good enough already
    For me, used at home ... i limit the amp's output. So it doesn't output the full power.. unless of course i want it to

  8. #28
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Asylum, Ward 4444
    Posts
    2,095

    Default Re: Any place with good Hi-Fi to watch your own DVD?

    u should operate at max always.

    by limiting, u limit yourselves to details as well.
    its like when u shoot, u dun meter correctly & the image is underexposed.

  9. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Siglap
    Posts
    1,652

    Default Re: Any place with good Hi-Fi to watch your own DVD?

    Quote Originally Posted by markccm
    u should operate at max always.

    by limiting, u limit yourselves to details as well.
    its like when u shoot, u dun meter correctly & the image is underexposed.
    .. my electricity bill will also go up ahhhhh ... its already detailed enough .. so no need

  10. #30

    Default Re: Any place with good Hi-Fi to watch your own DVD?

    ultimately there are diminishing returns. Does having anything more than 200W helps in details at NORMAL listening levels at home? I don't believe more is always better. There is always a limit beyond which unless you are a dog, you cannot tell any difference. So what is the limit? Lets say the power comes from a good power amp, how much is enough for home users?

  11. #31
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Asylum, Ward 4444
    Posts
    2,095

    Default Re: Any place with good Hi-Fi to watch your own DVD?

    Quote Originally Posted by wind30
    ultimately there are diminishing returns. Does having anything more than 200W helps in details at NORMAL listening levels at home? I don't believe more is always better. There is always a limit beyond which unless you are a dog, you cannot tell any difference. So what is the limit? Lets say the power comes from a good power amp, how much is enough for home users?
    nvm, we talking on a different level.

    but the higher the power u will get more details despite operating at a low volume.
    true, u will not milk the amp to the fullest potential.

    but your amp does not stuggle to produce the details.

  12. #32
    Senior Member poohbear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Sengkang
    Posts
    1,163

    Default Re: Any place with good Hi-Fi to watch your own DVD?

    btw ... sound proofing a room abt 20sqm will cost how much ah ? Which HT system can I get for around 2k also, going to do some renovation on my new hse soon.

  13. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Siglap
    Posts
    1,652

    Default Re: Any place with good Hi-Fi to watch your own DVD?

    Quote Originally Posted by markccm
    nvm, we talking on a different level.

    but the higher the power u will get more details despite operating at a low volume.
    true, u will not milk the amp to the fullest potential.

    but your amp does not stuggle to produce the details.
    Its true actually ....

  14. #34

    Default Re: Any place with good Hi-Fi to watch your own DVD?

    Quote Originally Posted by markccm
    nvm, we talking on a different level.

    but the higher the power u will get more details despite operating at a low volume.
    true, u will not milk the amp to the fullest potential.

    but your amp does not stuggle to produce the details.
    I agree that more power you will get better details but my question is perfectly valid, how much is enough???

    My power amp is rated 5 channels 600W/4ohms. Is that not enough? Do one really need 1800W/4ohms? I am a IC designer by profession and I design preamplifier for a living. No audio preamp but electronics preamp. Principles is the same, signal amplification. If your output driver is supplying only a fraction of its rated power, you get less distortion, but once you hit like 10%... the difference is MINIMAL.

    The room effects will be MUCH more than what you gain from going from 600W to 1800W. Common sense like the theory of limiting factors should prevail. Always improve the weakest link. Why go for the 0.0001% improvement when it will be drowned out by other variables in your system like room accoustics.

    Same for camera. I guess you are the kind of person who will not be satisfied with a 300meg cam, and insist on a 3000meg cam right?
    Last edited by wind30; 10th February 2006 at 10:15 PM.

  15. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SGee
    Posts
    1,572

    Default Re: Any place with good Hi-Fi to watch your own DVD?

    Quote Originally Posted by poohbear
    btw ... sound proofing a room abt 20sqm will cost how much ah ? Which HT system can I get for around 2k also, going to do some renovation on my new hse soon.
    i duno abt sound proofing costs, i always tot they easy 2 catch fire...

    $2000 HT?
    . 5.1 surround speakers (KEF, Mordaunt-Short's Genie, Mission)
    . receiver amp (Denon, Cambridge Audio)
    . DVD player (Denon, Cambridge Audio)
    . interconnect cables (QED, Black Rodium)
    . speaker cables (QED, Chord Carnival

    i oni listed some brands, brabds i nv list does mean its not gd. i oso did not mention specific model, so u can go listen w/ ur ears wide open!

    Brit hifi mag: What Hi-Fi? is a gd guide IMO, on getting a start at HT. best bring ur own CD, DVD & go down 2 Adelphi 4 a serios audition. dun b intimidated by brands u nv heard of.

    buy all necessory cables last. use those supplied in-d-box 1st. den buy according ly 2 suit ur music preferance.
    Last edited by sORe-EyEz; 10th February 2006 at 11:17 PM.

  16. #36
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Siglap
    Posts
    1,652

    Default Re: Any place with good Hi-Fi to watch your own DVD?

    Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz
    i duno abt sound proofing costs, i always tot they easy 2 catch fire...

    $2000 HT?
    . 5.1 surround speakers (KEF, Mordaunt-Short's Genie, Mission)
    . receiver amp (Denon, Cambridge Audio)
    . DVD player (Denon, Cambridge Audio)
    . interconnect cables (QED, Black Rodium)
    . speaker cables (QED, Chord Carnival

    i oni listed some brands, brabds i nv list does mean its not gd. i oso did not mention specific model, so u can go listen w/ ur ears wide open!

    Brit hifi mag: What Hi-Fi? is a gd guide IMO, on getting a start at HT. best bring ur own CD, DVD & go down 2 Adelphi 4 a serios audition. dun b intimidated by brands u nv heard of.

    buy all necessory cables last. use those supplied in-d-box 1st. den buy according ly 2 suit ur music preferance.
    I'd suggest:
    1. Budget
    2. Decide what you want from your HT - Bass in your face / Rocks the chair / Same as cinema.
    3. Placement

    What Hifi? is a gone case magazine. They're being bribed to give reviews. Take their reviews with a pinch of salt.

    My take:

    AVR - Yamaha / Denon / Marantz (up to you)
    DVDP - Pioneer or Marantz
    Interconnects - Cable talk / Canare / QED
    Speaker cables - Belden / QED
    Speakers - Klipsch / M&K / Mordaunt Short / Mission
    Sub - Definitive Technology / SVS / Klipsch

    I'm more or less using the above components.

    It all depends basically on 1 & 2... the rest... we'll leave it to fate, luck and your wallet

  17. #37
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Asylum, Ward 4444
    Posts
    2,095

    Default Re: Any place with good Hi-Fi to watch your own DVD?

    wind30, look, i am not into HT, but i am into pro-audio.
    i am an audio enfineer by training & profession.

    for HT i guess its how much u r willing to spend.

    as for live sound & studio which i am in, we function very differently.

  18. #38

    Default Re: Any place with good Hi-Fi to watch your own DVD?

    Actually guys, a good system is about fine detail than loudness, once your system are able to produce non-fatigue sound, you can enjoy movies even at the heights of over 100db ! If you are dead serious about HT, or music only, Adelphi had a little something for everyone. And don't worry too much about cables if your system are entry levels, I'm not saying that it wouldn't make a difference but the cost just doesn't justify at all. A rule of thumb, spent about 10% of your budget on cables , 30% on speakers, 40% on pre-pro and amps and 20% on source.

    And pay attention to sound before sight, proceed gradually and upgrade when you have the $$$ to invest in a good projector. In all aspect, it's about calibration when it comes to HT, if your sound is not balanced or your pictures are not color corrected, you will be lossing alot. Ever wonder why some theatre allows you to enjoy the whole movie without fatigue from loudness or tired eyes? Think about it.

  19. #39
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SGee
    Posts
    1,572

    Default Re: Any place with good Hi-Fi to watch your own DVD?

    Quote Originally Posted by dEthANGeL
    I'd suggest:
    1. Budget
    2. Decide what you want from your HT - Bass in your face / Rocks the chair / Same as cinema.
    3. Placement

    What Hifi? is a gone case magazine. They're being bribed to give reviews. Take their reviews with a pinch of salt.

    My take:

    AVR - Yamaha / Denon / Marantz (up to you)
    DVDP - Pioneer or Marantz
    Interconnects - Cable talk / Canare / QED
    Speaker cables - Belden / QED
    Speakers - Klipsch / M&K / Mordaunt Short / Mission
    Sub - Definitive Technology / SVS / Klipsch

    I'm more or less using the above components.

    It all depends basically on 1 & 2... the rest... we'll leave it to fate, luck and your wallet
    at least we do hav similiar taste- Denon , Mission, QED!

  20. #40
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SGee
    Posts
    1,572

    Default Re: Any place with good Hi-Fi to watch your own DVD?

    anyway i willing 2 let go my modest performance (not top notch sounding ah... ) HT 5.1 AV amp (TX L5) for $400. no more warranty le... prefer my Denon 2.1 sound.

    bought it at $1200 w/ DVD player, was a 2 piece set. botak 1, no speakers de...

    specs:
    5 x 28 watts at 6ohms
    435 x81 x 377mm (W x H x D)

    any1?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •