Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Brisbane, Perth, Melbourne or Sydney?

Default Re: Brisbane, Perth, Melbourne or Sydney?

Quote Originally Posted by Jemapela
    Just to inform you that recently Melbourne has been cracking down VERY HARD on fare evasion (people who ride public transport without a proper/valid ticket). Occasionally, ticket inspectors have been accused of using hard-handed moves to "arrest" suspected fare-evaders.

Instead of risking a $150 fine for a violation, I would strongly recommend that you get advice from ticketing staff at any of the city's train stations.
    yes this is very true. when i was there visiting a friend, he said there was once when ticket inspectors dress as civilians and catch people on board the trams. Many locals complained that it create a sense of doubt and suspicious on board, and it really spoils the mood of their everyday life. I think they abandoned the 'civilian inspector' concept shortly after..

Quote Originally Posted by behyx
    yes this is very true. when i was there visiting a friend, he said there was once when ticket inspectors dress as civilians and catch people on board the trams. Many locals complained that it create a sense of doubt and suspicious on board, and it really spoils the mood of their everyday life. I think they abandoned the 'civilian inspector' concept shortly after..

Plain-clothes ticket inspectors are still around, very alive and always catching.

Most of them seem to patrol/inspect trams while the uniformed ones are on trains.

I know because I'm in Melbourne now.

Wow! So high? Hmm... what about the flame that burns 24/7/365 at Melbourne's Shrine of Remembrance?
    That flame is a constant one. Not the "afterburner" blast of Crown's flames that would cost a lot. When I was there the last time, I thought it was under repair as I didn't see it going off (it did later). I then commented to the hotel staff whether was it because there wasn't a particular high roller from SG that used to come but after being arrested for CBT, didn't come and Crown couldn't pay for the gas bill
    If anyone is a raw oyster fan, just head down to Queen Victoria Market (on the days when it's open) to buy fresh raw oysters. I used to live a spit's distance away from the market, and have consumed a good share of this delicacy (sold by dozens for about $7.50).

On some occasions, they may not be very fresh because the stall may have kept them in their fridge over the days when they are closed. Otherwise, if you do get them fresh, they are really so fresh that you can eat them without any lemon juice.

Factly, if you ever need to squeeze lemon on raw oysters to "kill the smell", it means your oysters have already started decomposing. Very fresh oysters have absolutely no smell except smelling like the ocean and tasting like the ocean.
    Yep, that is the other alternative but I'm not sure if they are game enough to do that. Bring a knife, get a bottle of tabasco sauce and buy a lemon from the market. Oysters, really fresh ones to me, can be eaten au-natural but some may get a bit squemish about it and need to destroy its natural taste with condiments.

Plain-clothes ticket inspectors are still around, very alive and always catching.

Most of them seem to patrol/inspect trams while the uniformed ones are on trains.

I know because I'm in Melbourne now.
    Thanks for the warning... I should be "prim and proper" if I go back there...

On the topic of penguins, in 2001, a baby penguin was treated for depression after it was found wandering Melbourne city streets.
    They should feed it with Zoloft

Quote Originally Posted by Tetrode
    Yes, many a Sgrean (esp overseas students) have had accidents (a few fatalities) while driving on the GO road. Sgreans are just not experienced enough, too impatient or just plain reckless. Many think that they can drive like Shuie but some end up like Senna - dead! Normally the victims are young 20 something hormone overloaded pretentious punks.

Stick with Hertz or Thrifty. I haven't had problems with them yet. Remember to check and mark out every paint chip, dent and scratch (and some that are not there) you see onto the inspection sheet anyway just to be safe. If anything crops up later, you are covered.
    Aye...thanks for the very useful information...

Actually, it's more often and correctly said that Melbourne has "4 seasons in 1 day".
    I wanted to say 4 seasons in the day earlier, but figured that in Winter, u hardly find a day where u can experience summer in Melb. but in other months, I think the 4 season rule stays. wish I could go back to aust again. I am getting bored in Singapore.

Quote Originally Posted by swiftdragon
    I wanted to say 4 seasons in the day earlier, but figured that in Winter, u hardly find a day where u can experience summer in Melb. but in other months, I think the 4 season rule stays. wish I could go back to aust again. I am getting bored in Singapore.
    Aussie group Crowded House used the saying as a title for one of their songs. Quite a good song too. The Domain in Melb is a landmark that is mentioned in the lyrics.

Quote Originally Posted by boroangel
    Since we are at the topic of Melbourne, what will the weather be like during the 2nd/3rd week of July? Should be winter but is the weather really bad at that time of the year? We have no choice but to go during that period as my bro is having his convo so we are touring straight after that...

We should be going on the friday of the 2nd week and coming back on the sunday of the 3rd week of July (9 days).His convo is held in Brisbane but I dont think theres much in Brisbane in terms of landscapes and we might just spend 1 night at Gold Coast.Initial plan to to spend only 2 or 3 days in brisbane and then take the domestic flight to Melbourne (skipping Sydney) or Sydney and then drive down from Sydney.

Would love to spend more time in Melbourne but depending on when his convo is held on the 3rd week...if its right in the middle of the week, we would only have prob just 4 days in Melbourne.....and Tasmania is like ruled out due to time contraints...
    Boroangel: Melbourne can be vv cold in July, going by Singapore stds. It was ard 10deg in the day in Melbourne last July. It rains frequently, but it's light rain that persists, unlike those heavy rains in Sg. Otherwise, i would find the Melbourne winter rather nice. When its sunny, the cold weather really complements it. But then again, I like cold.

Oh, remember to head to St Kilda's Beach when in Melbourne. Nice beach area for sunsets, and look for the stretch of colorful sheds! Very photo-worthy! If you're doing a day tour there, look for A Tours With A Difference. It's a family-run day-tour service to places like Great Ocean Rd, Grampian, Dandenongs. They hosts are really nice, warm ppl. Excellent service, plus the cheapest around!

Quote Originally Posted by exhibitj
    Boroangel: Melbourne can be vv cold in July, going by Singapore stds. It was ard 10deg in the day in Melbourne last July. It rains frequently, but it's light rain that persists, unlike those heavy rains in Sg. Otherwise, i would find the Melbourne winter rather nice. When its sunny, the cold weather really complements it. But then again, I like cold.

Oh, remember to head to St Kilda's Beach when in Melbourne. Nice beach area for sunsets, and look for the stretch of colorful sheds! Very photo-worthy! If you're doing a day tour there, look for A Tours With A Difference. It's a family-run day-tour service to places like Great Ocean Rd, Grampian, Dandenongs. They hosts are really nice, warm ppl. Excellent service, plus the cheapest around!
    Thanks for the advice. I have the initial route planned out now although lots of information still needs to be fitted in. We have at least 4 days in Melbourne...may stretch to 5 or 6 days...Great Ocean road is a must for me and I dont plan to take the A1 route back which shoudl be non-scenic right....so we will go up to the Grampians (although soem say its not very nice in winter) and then make our way back to Melbourne from there.My plan is to use 3 days and 2 nights for the route, either stopping in Apollo Bay or Port Campbell for one night and Grampians for the other night...

Day 1
    so we start off early from St Kilda in the early morning..on the way stop at Geelong and Lorne for a short while..reach Apollo Bay or Campbell in the evening.....if we are staying at Campbell for the night I think we can actually catch the sunset at 12 Apostles and then then drive back sligthly to catch sunrise the next morning. Cos I was thinking if we stay at Apollo Bay for the night we would haev to wake up real early to drive over to the 12 Apostles for the sunrise? any idea roughly how long it would take to drive from Apollo Bay to the 12 Apostles? Is it too ambitious to drive all teh way to Port CampbellSo basically this is the plan for the 1st day.

Day 2
    AFter catching the sunrise at the 12 Apostles, we drive on through Campbell and on to Port Fairy. Was thinking if we should drive on to Portland. If theres nothing much there we will go on from Port Fairy up to Grampians.Should be staying for the night at Grampians.
    Does my plan for day 2 seem too lax ?For Grampians, I havent doen that much research yet but I do know that there have several mountains...which are the must go mountains? Should I go up one mountain on this day and then go for another early next morning? How long does it take to drive up from say Halls Gap to the top of one of these mountains?

Day 3
    My idea is to catch the sunrise at the peak of the highest mountains in the Grampians but forget the name...that means I must wake up very early or are there accomodation nearer to the top so we wont have to drive so far....

After which we will descend and drive on to Arat and Ballarat and back to Mel. From the route planner on the Great Ocean website this will take about 4 hours.

Fro the rest of the day will hang around St Kildas.

Day 4

start off early from St Kildas and drive on the way to Mt Buller. On the way catch the sunrise...Shoudl reach Mt Bullar in around 4 to 5 hours , says around 11am.....maybe ski a bit till afternoon 3+ and then make our way back to Mel.

So er.....this is the rough plan lah.........paiseh got many questions....anyone has any comments on my route of advance? like time not realistic enough ...will miss some nice spots or have better suggestions?
    Anyone knows in Winter, 3rd week of July...the sun usually rise and set at what time har?

Accomodation
    Havent dont much research on this also but we have 6 adults and one small child, maybe one more adult depending on whether my cousin is going. Think hotels are to expensive and my aunt and hild may not be used to B&B style...so prob we would be staying in service apartments that can hold up to 6 people. Any suggestions on apartments at Apollo Bay, Port Campbell,Grampians and St Kildas? Is it a good idea to stay at St Kildas. Cos it seems to havenice beaches and nto far from Melbourne city. Cos I read that accomodation in Melbourne city itself is not cheap and I tot St Kilda might have better accomdation adn we can get to move around that place too since its quite a scenic area. There are some beachhouses and aprtments which cost about $180 per night which is very reasonable. The problem is the reservations as most need a stay of minimum 2 nights when we reserve...and if we try to book within 14 days there a high chance that they will be already taken up? Haizz................

Really got many info need to fill in.......anyone?
    Last edited by boroangel; 14th February 2006 at 03:38 PM.

Must try this at Grampians

thumbs up!

Thanks for the advice. I have the initial route planned out now although lots of information still needs to be fitted in. We have at least 4 days in Melbourne...may stretch to 5 or 6 days...Great Ocean road is a must for me and I dont plan to take the A1 route back which shoudl be non-scenic right....so we will go up to the Grampians (although soem say its not very nice in winter) and then make our way back to Melbourne from there.My plan is to use 3 days and 2 nights for the route, either stopping in Apollo Bay or Port Campbell for one night and Grampians for the other night...

Day 1
    so we start off early from St Kilda in the early morning..on the way stop at Geelong and Lorne for a short while..reach Apollo Bay or Campbell in the evening.....if we are staying at Campbell for the night I think we can actually catch the sunset at 12 Apostles and then then drive back sligthly to catch sunrise the next morning. Cos I was thinking if we stay at Apollo Bay for the night we would haev to wake up real early to drive over to the 12 Apostles for the sunrise? any idea roughly how long it would take to drive from Apollo Bay to the 12 Apostles? Is it too ambitious to drive all teh way to Port CampbellSo basically this is the plan for the 1st day.
    It shouldn't be too difficult to reach Port Campbell by then. The last time, we set out from the Airport around 1pm, reached Geelong by 3 and Apollo Bay by 7ish. Port Campbell shouldn't be a problem if you leave by 7am, reach Geelong before noon. From Apollo Bay to 12 Apostles took....2+ hours so it might be better off at Port Campbell...
    Day 2
    AFter catching the sunrise at the 12 Apostles, we drive on through Campbell and on to Port Fairy. Was thinking if we should drive on to Portland. If theres nothing much there we will go on from Port Fairy up to Grampians.Should be staying for the night at Grampians.
    Does my plan for day 2 seem too lax ?For Grampians, I havent doen that much research yet but I do know that there have several mountains...which are the must go mountains? Should I go up one mountain on this day and then go for another early next morning? How long does it take to drive up from say Halls Gap to the top of one of these mountains?
    Yep, too lax. No idea what you should do though.
    <chopped>
    start off early from St Kildas and drive on the way to Mt Buller. On the way catch the sunrise...Shoudl reach Mt Bullar in around 4 to 5 hours , says around 11am.....maybe ski a bit till afternoon 3+ and then make our way back to Mel.
    The better way might be to leave St Kilda around 5+, reach the foot of Buller around 8 check in and have dinner. Then go up the mountain the next day for a full day of skiing...

Anyone knows in Winter, 3rd week of July...the sun usually rise and set at what time har?
    Rather early; 5pm

We have at least 4 days in Melbourne...may stretch to 5 or 6 days...Great Ocean road is a must for me

Really got many info need to fill in.......anyone?
    4 days in Melbourne and it seems u gonna spend most of the days travelling regional Victoria. Ever consider exploring around the city? The city has many to offer too

Winter in Melbourne and regional Victoria can be very cold sometimes, especially during the late evening till early morning.. but for most of the time, it's cool to cold.

If u do visit Great Ocean Road, Mt Buller or/and the Grampions, slightly heavy winter jackets are probably useful. The wind chill can really drop the temperature quite significantly. And, don't worry too much about the 4 seasons in a day thing.. it does happen quite often during summer, which can be a good thing especially during hot days. But in winter, it's more like cool to cold and very cold.

Not sure about the accomodation in regional Victoria, 'cos I usually travel in the day and return at night. But in the city, there are lots of nice and affordable hotel to choose from. For 6 adults and 1 child, a motel may be good 'cos the room is usually larger and cheaper. Many seems to like staying in St Kilda, but there are more office buildings and apartments in St Kilda than hotels/motels.

The sun rise kind of late in mid winter, around 7AM, and set quite early in the evening, usually around 5:00PM.

If u need more info, feel free to pose .. enjoy ur trip

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234