Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone shooting Thaipusam Procession 2006?

Default Anyone shooting Thaipusam Procession 2006?

Thaipusam Procession 2006 will commence from about 2100hrs on 10 Feb to about 0200 on 12 Feb 06.
    anyone going to shoot this? Was always curious.. any advice on stuff NOT to do during Thaipusam?

Default Re: anyone shooting Thaipusam Procession 2006?

Quote Originally Posted by slaam
    Thaipusam Procession 2006 will commence from about 2100hrs on 10 Feb to about 0200 on 12 Feb 06.
    anyone going to shoot this? Was always curious.. any advice on stuff NOT to do during Thaipusam?

Don't get in the way of their intended path as each one walks with the kavadis. A certain distance is good as some would dance and gyrate around so last thing you want it to end up colliding with the devoutees. Always be respectful, considerate and not to get too "in your face" with the devoutees and their group of supports that walks with them. This is a very important day to each of the devotee who has spend a long time preparing to take on this day's challenge. You are there to capture and witness a very holy trial and intriguing ceremony, it is not life and death to die die take any particular shot that would disrupt their kavadi walk so just be mindful and you should come away with some really great shots. Personally I am not into using my flash even as a fill-in to balance the daylight and illuminate dark shadow areas. NIght time well...I guess no choice but I would still try to monitor the scene before deciding to use it.
    Last edited by sammy888; 8th February 2006 at 09:39 PM.

Deregistered

This is going to start at Little India and end at Chinatown.

Quote Originally Posted by nicholas68
    This is going to start at Little India and end at Chinatown.
    not quite... it will of course start at temple at Serangoon Road but will end at a temple at Tank Road. i called the Hindu Endownment Board and the girl told me so. the event starts around 4am and it lasts the whole day.
    Last edited by mohgui; 8th February 2006 at 09:55 PM.
    Mythbusters - the bigger the explosion, the better it is.

Quote Originally Posted by sammy888
    Don't get in the way of their intended path as each one walks with the kavadis. A certain distance is good as some would dance and gyrate around so last thing you want it to end up colliding with the devoutees. Always be respectful, considerate and not to get too "in your face" with the devoutees and their group of supports that walks with them. This is a very important day to each of the devotee who has spend a long time preparing to take on this day's challenge. You are there to capture and witness a very holy trial and intriguing ceremony, it is not life and death to die die take any particular shot that would disrupt their kavadi walk so just be mindful and you should come away with some really great shots. Personally I am not into using my flash even as a fill-in to balance the daylight and illuminate dark shadow areas. NIght time well...I guess no choice but I would still try to monitor the scene before deciding to use it.
    hmmm great tips! Thanks sammy!
    anyone know more about the procession and the path? I only know the timing..

Default Re: Anyone shooting Thaipusam Procession 2006?

you may want to consider going to the temple earlier, to watch the people prepare. there will be some interesting sights, such as some of the ceremonies/rituals going on before they set off.

i can't remember the exact timings, but it's probably good to go quite late, maybe nearer to midnight. that's when the men carrying the big kavadis set out.

for those not used to this, it can be a rather intense experience. lots of crowds, sounds, colours...

if you're curious, don't hesitate, just go. but be respectful, it's a big day for the kavadi bearers, and the physical and mental pressure is tremendous.

when they reached the temple in Tank Road, depending on the time, they may need to queue up before going in.

..some music n dance... their tired look...and the look of the achievement, the 'pain' when they remove those hooks, etc.... its a good learning experience

I maybe going.. Anyone know the timing?

Those going wanna meet up?

me and eikin will be at the serangoon temple at around 1pm on 11 Feb ..

FOr more info --- > http://www.sttemple.com/stt/thaipusam/tp2006/tp2006.htm

Do anyone know can go into the temple and need to take off shoes ??? Please forgive my silly question

Quote Originally Posted by kangmf
    Do anyone know can go into the temple and need to take off shoes ??? Please forgive my silly question
    temple can go in but must take off shoes , suggest u wear one cheap cheap slippers, there have been cases of missing shoes, especially at such big scale event.

Quote Originally Posted by kangmf
    yup. if your bag is big enough put your footwear in your bag. or if you drive leave them in your car.

or bring along a plastic bag to bag your shoes and tied it to your camera bag.

Thanks Cser for the reply.....

Quote Originally Posted by poohbear
    me and eikin will be at the serangoon temple at around 1pm on 11 Feb ..

FOr more info --- > http://www.sttemple.com/stt/thaipusam/tp2006/tp2006.htm
    from 1pm to what time?? may consider going with you guys

Aye, that day covering an event from noon onwards leh. If early in the morning, then not enuff sleep. Think will have to pass it this year...
    Andy Ang :lovegrin: - "A Photo speaks a thousand words. Have you spoken today?"
    APAD | Blog

What will be a good place to take some shots? And about the procession: is it continuous throughout the day or do the devotees start at certain times?

Quote Originally Posted by jus
    I maybe going.. Anyone know the timing?

Those going wanna meet up?
    it's a whole day event.
    Mythbusters - the bigger the explosion, the better it is.

thaipusam is whole day event, but anyone knows what time and where exactly to shoot those in kavadis piercing, etc?
    or they would be everywhere?

sounds interesting,i'm new here so its a learning process for me..anyway,am not working on saturday..anyone going pls let me know also...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast