Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: DSLRs vs. Digital Compacts

Default Re: DSLRs vs. Digital Compacts

Quote Originally Posted by blive
    Huh, with your setup still feel inferior?
    Yup...there's nothing fantastic about my setup mah. Moreover, i don't have a digital body.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

Quote Originally Posted by UandMe
    actually i think DSLR are getting more and more cool because nearly every other person has owned a compact already. Like for the sentosa flowers festival, so many people are shooting with compacts that even if u've the coolest and best compact, it's not going to get noticed. But if u're holding a big fat camera, it just makes u stand out from the crowd.
    Partly want to show off with a big big cam huh...

I love my Canon Pro-1. Small and compact. It is so cool in picture quality with L lens.
    Crowded and want to take picture ? sure difficult when using DSLR but
    not my cam. I just bring up my cam .. tilt the LCD than snap ... snap .. snap ..

Quote Originally Posted by Boo...

I love my Canon Pro-1. Small and compact. It is so cool in picture quality with L lens.
    not my cam. I just bring up my cam .. tilt the LCD than snap ... snap .. snap ..
    Haha....gd point there
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

Quote Originally Posted by Boo...

ya i guess is really a kind of superior feel factor

like driving a Merc alongside a Toyota...

I dun have a DSLR by the way, and i envy those driving Merc.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle
    So does that mean digital compacts are losing out to DSLRs or are getting less popular?
    definitely no

both cater to 2 different market segments

but the same buyer may still be from both segments

Quote Originally Posted by user111
    definitely no

both cater to 2 different market segments

but the same buyer may still be from both segments
    Just like myself, but i own a SLR, not DSLR.

Having the DLSR, Prosumer and an Ultracompact, I would like to share my experience with all the folks here. Althoughit has been mentioned a zillion times before, DSLR offers total control, picture quality....blah....blah, I still find the convenience of a ultracompact most useful in everyday activities. The Ultracompact is always with me and, yes, I admit that there are times when a DLSR would have been better in that particular situation, those episodes do not happen so often. Most, if not all the time, the Ultracompact is able to do a decent job of capturing the event, moment or whatever it is.

There are days when I would use the DLSR, but again, it would mean some form of planning to ensure the justification of lugging all the necessary equipment.

In a nutshell, there is no right or wrong, good or bad about this whole DLSR vs Ultracompact issue. Just use whatever that suits you.

Quote Originally Posted by Diveraz
    Having the DLSR, Prosumer and an Ultracompact, I would like to share my experience with all the folks here. Althoughit has been mentioned a zillion times before, DSLR offers total control, picture quality....blah....blah, I still find the convenience of a ultracompact most useful in everyday activities. The Ultracompact is always with me and, yes, I admit that there are times when a DLSR would have been better in that particular situation, those episodes do not happen so often. Most, if not all the time, the Ultracompact is able to do a decent job of capturing the event, moment or whatever it is.

There are days when I would use the DLSR, but again, it would mean some form of planning to ensure the justification of lugging all the necessary equipment.

In a nutshell, there is no right or wrong, good or bad about this whole DLSR vs Ultracompact issue. Just use whatever that suits you.
    Yes i really agree with what u said. Most of the time i lug around my SLR with the heavy tripod and big camera bag. Most probably after this week i'll bring out my compact digicam to take pics cos it's film-consuming for me.

Quote Originally Posted by UandMe
    ya i guess is really a kind of superior feel factor
    like driving a Merc alongside a Toyota...
    I dun have a DSLR by the way, and i envy those driving Merc.
    I think luxury cars like Merc compared to the average car is a bad example, since a dSLR is not a luxury but just a tool. A Merc shows status, but a dSLR does not show status.

By the way, a little off-topic, I saw a Toyota Levin hatchback dressed up entirely like the AE86 from InitialD in Yishun the other day, parked near the 7-eleven shop, very cool.

Yes i really agree with what u said. Most of the time i lug around my SLR with the heavy tripod and big camera bag. Most probably after this week i'll bring out my compact digicam to take pics cos it's film-consuming for me.
    I was like that. but after I got the D70s and later the 18-200 lens, I have been bringing that combi out very often. However, on days I don't bring it out I will usually have a 2mp digital compact to shoot rubbish but I have been too pampered with the DSLR because now I feel the digicompact too slow.
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 10th February 2006 at 02:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon
    I was like that. but after I got the D70s and later the 18-200 lens, I have been bringing that combi out very often. However, on days I don't bring it out I will usually have a 2mp digital compact to shoot rubbish but I have been too pampered with the DSLR because now I feel the digicompact too slow.
    I don't have an option cos my SLR is film but i really enjoy using it as it's so much better and faster than my compact digicam.

Ups for this thread hehe...

Most of the people i know who aren't into photography, picture quality doesn't really matter to them. As long picture not bad, camera slim slim and chio, they buy.

Of course, i don't mean that using DSLRs or SLRs will give you better pictures. You guys should know what i mean...

But then i also don't really know alot of people.....kekeke....
    Last edited by Ah_Seng; 12th February 2006 at 03:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ah_Seng
    Most of the people i know who aren't into photography, picture quality doesn't really matter to them. As long picture not bad, camera slim slim and chio, they buy.

Of course, i don't mean that using DSLRs or SLRs will give you better pictures. You guys should know what i mean...

But then i also don't really know alot of people.....kekeke....
    Some digi compacts can produce more vibrant pics than DSLRs.

Some digi compacts can produce more vibrant pics than DSLRs.
    Of course, if you allow the cam to "process" for you......

I think most photographers seeks more than just vibrant pics...

Anyway, I have nothing against digi compacts.They are good and have it's good points too. Infact, i own one myself. Easy to carry and having a digi compact when the "moment" arises, is better than having no cam.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ah_Seng
    Of course, if you allow the cam to "process" for you......

I think most photographers seeks more than just vibrant pics...

Anyway, I have nothing against digi compacts.They are good and have it's good points too. Infact, i own one myself. Easy to carry and having a digi compact when the "moment" arises, is better than having no cam.....
    Yeah...think i'll start to use my compact digicam from this week, only saving the big events for my SLR.

Yes SLRs do have more control over the outcome of your image quality but can be cumbersome setting it manually. For my compact digicam it's fully auto so i just set to the correct mode, ISO and white balance...and i'm ready to go!

Thread closed...thanks so much to all who contributed their ideas!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123