Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DSLRs vs. Digital Compacts

Default Re: DSLRs vs. Digital Compacts

When i first started out with my sony compact digicam, it was only a simple digicam but soon later i bought its full accessories (excluding battery charger) totaling nearly $1900.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle
    When i first started out with my sony compact digicam, it was only a simple digicam but soon later i bought its full accessories (excluding battery charger) totaling nearly $1900.
    Wow...that's quite a bundle of cash for a compact. However if the accessories were extremely beneficial, then it's certainly worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by fWord
    Wow...that's quite a bundle of cash for a compact. However if the accessories were extremely beneficial, then it's certainly worth it.
    Well you know that sony stuffs ain't cheap. I got a wide conversion lens, tele conversion lens, slave flash, extra batt, extra 256MB MS, special effects filters, lens adapter, circular polarizing filter (with multi-coated filter), ND filter (with multi-coated filter), lens cleaning kit, small blower brush and a pouch but have since bought a lowepro bag to hold all my accessories.

Other than these i've my film SLR equipment too.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

I agree that sometimes it is not convinient to be lugging around a huge camera..

Myself, I use a Lumix prosumer, and I already find it bulky? Heh...
    Black Rabbit Photography
    DeviantArt | Multiply | Flickr

Well you know that sony stuffs ain't cheap. I got a wide conversion lens, tele conversion lens, slave flash, extra batt, extra 256MB MS, special effects filters, lens adapter, circular polarizing filter (with multi-coated filter), ND filter (with multi-coated filter), lens cleaning kit, small blower brush and a pouch but have since bought a lowepro bag to hold all my accessories.

Other than these i've my film SLR equipment too.
    That's some kit you got there. It'd allow you to do plenty of things. I would have liked a cir-p on my lens as well, but it's got a rotating front element. The other will take a 77mm filter that CP quoted me at $184 (B+W version).

Quote Originally Posted by ykia
    I think price point is a MAJOR factor in deciding a D-P&S vs D-SLR.

A 6MP or 8MP D-P&S is half the price of a D-SLR of the same. It becomes more once the lenses, flash, rechargable batteries, camera bag, higher speed memory card, remote release, etc. etc. is added to the D-SLR.

Ultimately is a question of price for the usage.
    Yah I agree. The price difference is still significant. You can get a decent compact cam for about $500 or less. A dSLR will set you back by at least $1200. Not everyone will be willing to pay that much more if all they want is a camera for snapshots!

Quote Originally Posted by michhy
    I didnt say it is "weird" to use a dSLR to shoot while clubbing.
    I only say it is "uncool". Dont believe go try lor.
    I'd rather be seen holding some sexy ultra-compacts than a bulky dSLR while clubbing! it's just me though.
    actually i think DSLR are getting more and more cool because nearly every other person has owned a compact already. Like for the sentosa flowers festival, so many people are shooting with compacts that even if u've the coolest and best compact, it's not going to get noticed. But if u're holding a big fat camera, it just makes u stand out from the crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by UandMe
    actually i think DSLR are getting more and more cool because nearly every other person has owned a compact already. Like for the sentosa flowers festival, so many people are shooting with compacts that even if u've the coolest and best compact, it's not going to get noticed. But if u're holding a big fat camera, it just makes u stand out from the crowd.

You know....10-20 years ago, that was what they say about Kodak instamatic camera with those disposable flash bulb which is one long stack of 3 or 4...and people were looking at the FG, FM, FE...etc. Then there was those who bought the FM or FE but to make it cool looking it must have the motor drive attach to bulk up the look for those who can buy the F2 or F3 or F4.. Then more better quality P&S 35mm came on the scene...the likes of Rollei, Fuji, Nikon, canon....etc

It is a vicious cycle lah...it will never stop. The have and have not versus those who can't get it who will try to elevate what they have to the same quality and status of those more professional models.. heheh.

So really this stuff of yak yak....year in ...year out...decade in ...decade out heheh.
    Last edited by sammy888; 8th February 2006 at 10:39 PM.

Heheh...attention-grabbing might be the thing that people are going after. But at the end of the day, regardless of what I use, the aim is to get first-class photos. If I get to the stage when it gets publishable or competition-winning standard, then the photos shall speak for themselves.

For now, I shall wallow in n00bishness and disappear.

That's some kit you got there. It'd allow you to do plenty of things. I would have liked a cir-p on my lens as well, but it's got a rotating front element. The other will take a 77mm filter that CP quoted me at $184 (B+W version).
    Yupz...mine's a 30mm one specially made for my cam....all are sony brand except the blower brush. the C-PL kit is already $100.

I agree! That time i was there with a fren and i wanted to take this particular flower which is quite inside so i used my tripod and horizontally mounted the center column and places my SLR on it...it sure does attract some attention, especially tourists.

Heheh...attention-grabbing might be the thing that people are going after. But at the end of the day, regardless of what I use, the aim is to get first-class photos. If I get to the stage when it gets publishable or competition-winning standard, then the photos shall speak for themselves.

For now, I shall wallow in n00bishness and disappear.
    Yes...it's the pics ultimately...not the equipment u use.

DSLR generally bigger and bulky. DC is much smaller, I carry my DC everyday as I carry my handphone. Don't think you can carry DSLR with you all the time

Quote Originally Posted by armadillo
    DSLR generally bigger and bulky. DC is much smaller, I carry my DC everyday as I carry my handphone. Don't think you can carry DSLR with you all the time
    I used to carry my DC before i bought all those accessories for it. Now i must carry my camera bag around if i want to carry my DC out with me.

Yes...it's the pics ultimately...not the equipment u use.
    Ahh, but the equipment helps though. Just thought I'd justify it before some jealous freaks go around naming the well-endowed people as 'equipment wankers'.

What Sammy said is true though, in the very worst of cases where people are trying to outdo each other with showy equipment. Thankfully I believe that's hardly the case with the majority of people out there.

I think the "cool factor" about ultra-compacts vs dSLRs are very subjective and depend on each person's taste. I just personally feel that a dSLR look boring and clumsy especially when you are having a blast clubbing or at a rave party. I'd prefer to be able to slid out a sexy ultra-compact from my back pocket and snap some photos with chicks rather than ask them wait, go open my camera bag, open lens cover, focus and then shoot from a dSLR. Just my opinion about why ultra-compacts still have their own targeted audience.

Quote Originally Posted by michhy
    I didnt say it is "weird" to use a dSLR to shoot while clubbing.
    I only say it is "uncool". Dont believe go try lor.
    I'd rather be seen holding some sexy ultra-compacts than a bulky dSLR while clubbing! it's just me though.
    weird , uncool - seems the same to me. Doesn't really matter. I don't go clubbing anymore. Don't like the noise and you can't really meet anyone there, cause its so noisy. Prefer to go to clubs for drinks and music, but that's another topic altogether.

Well, ultra compacts have its use at such locations, but that doesn't mean you can't use a DSLR for gatherings and stuff. Try capturing a toddler running around at your friend's gathering with an ultra compact. It's pretty difficult, cause you need to anticipate more as there is a longer shuttle lag. Of course there's pretty decent ultra compacts, and technology is improving all the time. I still prefer a DSLR for its control and capability.

Like it's said, cool or uncool depends on individual taste. I have seen people carrying ultra compacts going close to subjects like pelican feeding in Australia, while I can stand quite far back with a prosumer to capture the whole feel. Ultimately, its still the photos that counts - photos to bring out memories.

No doubt a ultra compact is good due to it light weight and compactness.

Ahh, but the equipment helps though. Just thought I'd justify it before some jealous freaks go around naming the well-endowed people as 'equipment wankers'.

What Sammy said is true though, in the very worst of cases where people are trying to outdo each other with showy equipment. Thankfully I believe that's hardly the case with the majority of people out there.
    Most of the time when i take pics of events, i see pple carrying mid to high end DSLRs or SLRs with L lenses. Sometimes i see my own like inferior to them but what to do? They the money to cash on such luxury....i don't.

Quote Originally Posted by blive
    weird , uncool - seems the same to me. Doesn't really matter. I don't go clubbing anymore. Don't like the noise and you can't really meet anyone there, cause its so noisy. Prefer to go to clubs for drinks and music, but that's another topic altogether.

Well, ultra compacts have its use at such locations, but that doesn't mean you can't use a DSLR for gatherings and stuff. Try capturing a toddler running around at your friend's gathering with an ultra compact. It's pretty difficult, cause you need to anticipate more as there is a longer shuttle lag. Of course there's pretty decent ultra compacts, and technology is improving all the time. I still prefer a DSLR for its control and capability.

Like it's said, cool or uncool depends on individual taste. I have seen people carrying ultra compacts going close to subjects like pelican feeding in Australia, while I can stand quite far back with a prosumer to capture the whole feel. Ultimately, its still the photos that counts - photos to bring out memories.

No doubt a ultra compact is good due to it light weight and compactness.
    I agree on that part on SLR's better control and capability. I have a sony DC and compared to my SLR, the sony DC is no match on AF speeds and shutter release speeds. Controls on my DC are also much more limited as compared to my SLR.

Most of the time when i take pics of events, i see pple carrying mid to high end DSLRs or SLRs with L lenses. Sometimes i see my own like inferior to them but what to do? They the money to cash on such luxury....i don't.
    Huh, with your setup still feel inferior?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast