Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Thread: Unlocked...

  1. #1

    Default Unlocked...

    appreciate C&C...



    Thanks and regards

  2. #2

    Default Re: unlocked...

    If you had found one of those old, weathered, cast-iron locks it would be better. That would make everything appear in the proper timeframe. And then have the gate/door slightly open, just revealing the darkness behind it.

  3. #3
    Member/Tangshooter zaxh81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    4,339

    Default Re: unlocked...

    composition wise i would prefer to be from bottom up and not top down.
    just my personal thought.


  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Singapore CLEMENTI
    Posts
    746

    Default Re: unlocked...

    i find the contrast of the picture on the flat side.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    GagalandCloud9
    Posts
    451

    Default Re: unlocked...

    Think i agree with Rashkae about showing the door ajar, meaning the gap and doorframe. have u tried shooting fr the other position, bottom to top?

    nonetheless its a good idea to begin with.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Bt. Timah
    Posts
    1,354

    Default Re: unlocked...

    Image is dominated mainly be mid-tones... its pretty flat and uninteresting. Try to add more zest... burn in the latch to give your shot more tonal range. You need something that jumps out of the shot to attract the attention of the viewer!

  7. #7
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: unlocked...

    #1, lead people focus on what(the subject) you want to emphasize, make it sharp, or make it big....etc.

    #2, for this picture, you may try to increase the tonal range.

  8. #8

    Default Re: unlocked...

    there should be some... i took some shots from various angle but didn't go thru them yet. will upload later

    Quote Originally Posted by zaxh81
    composition wise i would prefer to be from bottom up and not top down.
    just my personal thought.

  9. #9

    Default Re: unlocked...

    what is mid-tones and flat? not familar with these yet i'm a beginner seriously need to learn more kindly explain (i'm not being sacarstic) i just don't know how to phrase it

    Quote Originally Posted by solarii
    Image is dominated mainly be mid-tones... its pretty flat and uninteresting. Try to add more zest... burn in the latch to give your shot more tonal range. You need something that jumps out of the shot to attract the attention of the viewer!

  10. #10

    Default Re: unlocked...

    which should i focus more on? the pad lock or the latch?

    sorry for a noob question what is tonal range?

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights
    #1, lead people focus on what(the subject) you want to emphasize, make it sharp, or make it big....etc.

    #2, for this picture, you may try to increase the tonal range.

  11. #11
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: unlocked...

    Quote Originally Posted by guojielun
    which should i focus more on? the pad lock or the latch?
    It depend which one you want to emphasize, but base on your title, you should emphasize on pad lock.

    Quote Originally Posted by guojielun
    sorry for a noob question what is tonal range?
    some reading about tonal range, in short like others have mention, you photo looks flat, lack of contrast.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Bt. Timah
    Posts
    1,354

    Default Re: unlocked...

    Haha ok in layman's terms, try not to have everything in the about the same shade of grey. Its like looking at an empty field of grass. There are different varieties of grass but they're all still green so nothing stands out. Create some variation... something dark, something light etc.

    In B&W shots you don't have the benefit of colour to draw attention & create interest, so you rely on tones, shapes, composition etc. All these elements must work in order to get a good image.

  13. #13

    Default Re: unlocked...

    i think getting one of those old red wooden doors with the cast iron padlock.. the kind you find in old chinese buildings will create some contrast and color.. and then the slightly ajar door.. haha.. it will totally remind people of that house in 'The Maid'..scary old house..

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    GagalandCloud9
    Posts
    451

    Default Re: unlocked...

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights
    It depend which one you want to emphasize, but base on your title, you should emphasize on pad lock.

    some reading about tonal range, in short like others have mention, you photo looks flat, lack of contrast.
    Can u do some touch up on the pic. to illustrate what it should ideally look like?

  15. #15
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: unlocked...

    Quote Originally Posted by chainsmoker
    Can u do some touch up on the pic. to illustrate what it should ideally look like?
    As requested,
    I don't believe in anyhow shoot and shoot, than later come back PS and PS, so this is just a quick 5mins job.




  16. #16

    Default Re: unlocked...

    i see the difference between yours and the original. am i right to say the following?

    1. appears darker (the toner range if i'm not wrong)
    2. tighter crop to focus more on the subject

    am i right?

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights
    As requested,
    I don't believe in anyhow shoot and shoot, than later come back PS and PS, so this is just a quick 5mins job.




  17. #17
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: unlocked...

    yes, you're right about this. not only increase the contrast but also burn in to the top to make it darker, I using your photo for illustration, hope you don't mind.

    for tonal range, some time you only able to get the exposure close to what you want, and the rest you have to adjust the curve during post production.

    for composition, you may look through the view finder to see, move nearer or further, higher or lower view point, from the left or the right, find a composition which you think might work.

  18. #18

    Default Re: unlocked...



    i know this has no tonal range...but just wanna have opinions on how this angle looks? better or worst?

  19. #19
    Senior Member denniskee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    bukit batok
    Posts
    5,468

    Default Re: unlocked...

    hi guojielun

    look at the pp photo by catchlights, the contrast and lines draw your attention to the pad lock.

    in both of your shots, the pad lock blends in with the door. no contrast. this smooth tone range is best, imo for skin tone as in artistic nude photo shot in high key.

    as for composition, the original 1st photo is slightly better, but was improved with catchlights cropping where the lead lines has been enhanced.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

  20. #20

    Default Re: unlocked...

    thanks for your comments! appreciate it, will try figuring out if the arcphoto software canon provided has this features otherwise gotta get photoshop from funan tomorrow liao how much does it cost btw? if it doesn't cost more then 1.5k that is


    Quote Originally Posted by denniskee
    hi guojielun

    look at the pp photo by catchlights, the contrast and lines draw your attention to the pad lock.

    in both of your shots, the pad lock blends in with the door. no contrast. this smooth tone range is best, imo for skin tone as in artistic nude photo shot in high key.

    as for composition, the original 1st photo is slightly better, but was improved with catchlights cropping where the lead lines has been enhanced.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •