Page 8 of 27 FirstFirst ... 36789101318 ... LastLast

Thread: Singapore Young Photographer Award (SYPA)

Default Re: Singapore Young Photographer Award (SYPA)

After writing in to enquire about borders around an image, I've received a reply that states that it's acceptable. However the print itself must be no larger than 8"X12". Hope this answers the burning question.

oooh. alright

BUMP!

Join!

we should place a date so all of us submit together...haha...

Wonder will it be easier to enter than Commonwealth competition?

thread too long, not sure if this qns posted b4.

anyone know if the photos have to be taken locally? or anywhere in the world?

Quote Originally Posted by illustrious
    thread too long, not sure if this qns posted b4.

anyone know if the photos have to be taken locally? or anywhere in the world?
    Good question...I wonder also. However it's not stated anywhere (not that I know of) that the photos have to be taken in Singapore, especially since this is not a 'Uniquely Singapore' competition.

Photos from other destinations might be more attractive to judges as well, knowing human nature, so it'd be highly recommended to use them if it's acceptable in the competition. I regret not being serious with photography back in the days when I was still in Australia.

So its ok to use? Anyone here checked with them before?

Quote Originally Posted by illustrious
    So its ok to use? Anyone here checked with them before?
    Well, write to them here and see what they say:

enquiry@sypa.org.sg

Previously I also wrote in to enquire if borders in a print were acceptable, and it was. They replied within a matter of days.

Ooh. Too bad I'm not a PR.

Default Re: Singapore Young Photographe Award (SYPA)

my pr still pending T_T

Quote Originally Posted by AngelZhou
    my pr still pending T_T
    howcome my PR not approve yet? they rejected me... sob sob

Quote Originally Posted by eyes
    All because of this award, some ah lian came in my church today just before service with her friend, whilst she was wearing a super short shorts exposing half her butt pretending very hard to be a fellow worshipper - which anyway, her butt gave her away.

Drawing out a pathetic 24-300mm f/3.5 - 5.6, she took a shot at the stain glass and immediately jet off. And to make matters worse, she look to the left and then to the right of the ceiling while on the way swaggering out of the door- what air she has, as if she already won the award.

I guess, this award really needs more brains to achieve.

BTW, did I mention, she was carrying a big slag bag which I guess is filled with at least 8 - 10 lenses.

Let's see if bring a truck of equipment helps her gets the award.

1. Since you know you're in no position to comment on the subject, I believe you know what to do.

2. When I started out, I always have the courtesy to ask when taking photos on private property.

3. I know it's rubbish because I shot the church before and know the angles better than 1st timers and I can tell from that angle fires, it just plainly junk- unless she decides to do some abstract.

4. How much are you offering me to see my portfolio?

5. Perhaps when you achieve something like a licienate or associate, perhaps we shall continue this topic further.

6. Please don't OT my comments on rude personality into anti-photography.

ASK any rookie here if anyone planned a 10 min shot ever won them anything. Not to mention disrespect for the subject of imaging.

I think it's about time that I save my comments on post like these.

Don't worry, I won't reply to his thread. If you run on his post, you'll find he only gives "advices" & comments in CS- non of his post has any photos taken by him. To reply to such post really makes no sense as it would be as if a taxi driver bothers rebuking a passenger on telling him how to drive his taxi.

I got a feeling the people I criticised are also in CS. (Leeching ideas here?)

Anyway, the last official photography commisioned in the Church was a paid job. 3 Photographers for URA, 1 of them has a FRPS yet still works in URA as a paid employee (salary to high to leave?) and of course including me. Today, the Church is a protected National Monument. Our photos are still with URA archive.

Feel free to visit URA at Maxwell.

Quote Originally Posted by zhang3feng
    howcome my PR not approve yet? they rejected me... sob sob
    i got my PR offer letter already - but i need to find a job to get it. Nah, things is 'full-time girlfriend' is not a job yet T_T

Quote Originally Posted by AngelZhou
    i got my PR offer letter already - but i need to find a job to get it. Nah, things is 'full-time girlfriend' is not a job yet T_T
    housewife considered or not?

hi all, i have a question actually.. i am rather interested in taking part in this competition but then the submission deadline is in june.. im currently a singapore citizen and all so theres no restriction for me there.. only problem is that i will be going overseas for studies arnd july or so.. not that im sure i'll win something but will the fact that im not in singapore affect my chances?

yzhiyang, I'll be overseas all this year too, but I doubt the fact that we're outside of S'pore will be taken into account when the judges evaluate our submissions. Of course, it would be tricky if the organizers need us to come down for interviews and such.

I asked the organizers a semi-related question: would it be a disadvantage if photos submitted were taken outside of S'pore? Luckily, they said no:

Photos taken overseas will not put participants at a disadvantage in the
    selection of winners for SYPA.

Thank you for your interest and we look forward to receiving your submission.

Regards,
    SYPA Steering Committee

Quote Originally Posted by Lys
    yzhiyang, I'll be overseas all this year too, but I doubt the fact that we're outside of S'pore will be taken into account when the judges evaluate our submissions. Of course, it would be tricky if the organizers need us to come down for interviews and such.

I asked the organizers a semi-related question: would it be a disadvantage if photos submitted were taken outside of S'pore? Luckily, they said no:

Photos taken overseas will not put participants at a disadvantage in the
    selection of winners for SYPA.

Thank you for your interest and we look forward to receiving your submission.

Regards,
    SYPA Steering Committee
    That's good to see. They didn't mention anywhere that pictures must be taken within Singapore. Actually, photos taken outside Singapore might be at a significant advantage over those that were taken locally, unless the latter are very well done. If I had the chance to go overseas for a vacation before June, I'd do it in a hurry...imagine the possibilities!

I've got entries taken overseas I would like to use to take part too... Let's hope we can use those pictures that are not taken locally...
    I am NOT a PROfessional photographer and photography is NOT my hobby

Anyone here going for the talk at SPH on Saturday?
    Find me at Claudia.sg and I work at 24seven

Page 8 of 27 FirstFirst ... 36789101318 ... LastLast