Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2567891217 ... LastLast

Thread: Singapore Young Photographer Award (SYPA)

Default Re: Singapore Young Photographer Award (SYPA)

Quote Originally Posted by metallilan
    come on now guys lets put this whole issue behind us..no use in continuing to argue about it.. besides, its not easy to win the grand prize seeing that so many of the youths including the CS youths are participating..so its gonna be a tight one

damn i'd be happy if i win a consolation prize

Don't worry, I won't reply to his thread. If you run on his post, you'll find he only gives "advices" & comments in CS- non of his post has any photos taken by him. To reply to such post really makes no sense as it would be as if a taxi driver bothers rebuking a passenger on telling him how to drive his taxi.

I got a feeling the people I criticised are also in CS. (Leeching ideas here?)

Anyway, the last official photography commisioned in the Church was a paid job. 3 Photographers for URA, 1 of them has a FRPS yet still works in URA as a paid employee (salary to high to leave?) and of course including me. Today, the Church is a protected National Monument. Our photos are still with URA archive.

Feel free to visit URA at Maxwell.

Quote Originally Posted by eyes
    Don't worry, I won't reply to his thread. If you run on his post, you'll find he only gives "advices" & comments in CS- non of his post has any photos taken by him. To reply to such post really makes no sense as it would be as if a taxi driver bothers rebuking a passenger on telling him how to drive his taxi.

I got a feeling the people I criticised are also in CS. (Leeching ideas here?)

Anyway, the last official photography commisioned in the Church was a paid job. 3 Photographers for URA, 1 of them has a FRPS yet still works in URA as a paid employee (salary to high to leave?) and of course including me. Today, the Church is a protected National Monument. Our photos are still with URA archive.

Feel free to visit URA at Maxwell.
    What church is that?

St Joseph's @ Victoria Street

Yup, very nice church.

Ok ok... end of OT for me here...

UH.... sorry... but i'd say 80% of my shots are unplanned. Just happen to be there. Are my shots bad? I'd say.... hmmmmm maybe, but i still like them. Most of the time its about being at the right place at the right time. And also being at the right place to wait for the right subject to pass and complete the picture.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Lim
    UH.... sorry... but i'd say 80% of my shots are unplanned. Just happen to be there. Are my shots bad? I'd say.... hmmmmm maybe, but i still like them. Most of the time its about being at the right place at the right time. And also being at the right place to wait for the right subject to pass and complete the picture.

Cheers
    Me too... sigh....

At least June is still a long way to go.

vince123123
    Guests

Issue sidestepped?

Quote Originally Posted by eyes
    You really reminds me of an ex-PA of Tatler

I think lets cool down and stop this OT...

Just take whatever pix u wan and join join join then win win win!!

then u can start all this complaining after winning or losing later on.

At least you had tried your best, and have no regrets.
    Professional training or not doesn't matter.

Follow your heart.

Open your eyes.
    Open your mind.
    Open your heart.
    Open your soul.

Art is everywhere around us. It's our passion as photographers, whether professional, hobby or ametuer to capture them and show to the world.

The print size for submission must be either 8 by 10 or 8 by 12.

what if my pics are in the ratio 16:9?

would it be acceptable if a photo is printed with white borders on the top and bottom?

or is it a must to crop?

thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by schon
    The print size for submission must be either 8 by 10 or 8 by 12.

what if my pics are in the ratio 16:9?

would it be acceptable if a photo is printed with white borders on the top and bottom?

or is it a must to crop?

thanks.
    i think can. i got some pics i shoot in the same ration also..hdtv mode on my fz5..

i think can. i got some pics i shoot in the same ration also..hdtv mode on my fz5..
    I also think can. but can u confirm?

I also think can. but can u confirm?
    erm..that i dunno. or rather thats only possible if i can ask a shop to print for me an 8R using a hdtv pic

when i get a good pic in hdtv-mode i'll try sending it for print. will let you guys know the outcome.

erm..that i dunno. or rather thats only possible if i can ask a shop to print for me an 8R using a hdtv pic

when i get a good pic in hdtv-mode i'll try sending it for print. will let you guys know the outcome.
    er... my question was would the photo be acceptable for the competition, and not whether it's possible.

of course it's possible.

er... my question was would the photo be acceptable for the competition, and not whether it's possible.

of course it's possible.
    the rules and regulations didn't say anything about the size of the picture only that is must be in 8r..so i suppose its alright.

Is there a number to call and ask?

Try cropping to 8in by 10in or 8in by 12in?

from what i know, SYPA judges are pretty stringent about such things, dont risk it, (:

For a moment I thought there was enough to worry about, trying to find the best photos for this competition, and trying to photograph some decent ones so that I can join without getting my backside spanked.

And then we got to contend with printing issues...

Alright since I got a decent amount of experience with Fuji Digital Imaging machines, a Frontier 340, let me share with you what/how to print such images.

Fuji Frontier Machines require 300dpi, ie 3 dots(pixels) per inch.

With a 4R photo, this means that you would require to have about 1800px by 1200px image for printing. This do not have to be the original image size and you can actualy extrapolate it using the Image Size func in PS. I have actually printed 4R photos with my 1.3mp camera phone which turned out quite decent.

Similarly, for a 8R, 8in by 10in, it is 2400px by 3000px which is the final image size you need.

S8R, 8in by 12in, 2400px by 3600px.

This means that if you have a image bigger than these dimensions then you are alright, but if you have slightly lower do not fret 'course it's not easily seen.

For easier workflow, when you initially crop your image, set the dimensions to 2400px by 3600px, or otherwise. This is actually quite simple considering everyone has 5mp cams and above by now...

My A95 provides 2592px X 1944px which is 5mp and if you look above it is not enough by I've got decent shots on a S8R with my previous 3.2mp cam, ie dont really bother too much about the pixels. just go get a good shot! ((:

Then tell KT, most probably, or the shop I patronize TripleD and tell them NO RESIZE.

Simple?

PM me if you wanna come TripleD print, I get even better prices and service than what Clubsnappers can get at KT. (: (but dont barge in there saying you want so and so prices cuz that uncle mike wont bother unless he sees you with me. haha)

cheerios.

Quote Originally Posted by germ_boi
    Alright since I got a decent amount of experience with Fuji Digital Imaging machines, a Frontier 340, let me share with you what/how to print such images.

Fuji Frontier Machines require 300dpi, ie 3 dots(pixels) per inch.

With a 4R photo, this means that you would require to have about 1800px by 1200px image for printing. This do not have to be the original image size and you can actualy extrapolate it using the Image Size func in PS. I have actually printed 4R photos with my 1.3mp camera phone which turned out quite decent.

Similarly, for a 8R, 8in by 10in, it is 2400px by 3000px which is the final image size you need.

S8R, 8in by 12in, 2400px by 3600px.

This means that if you have a image bigger than these dimensions then you are alright, but if you have slightly lower do not fret 'course it's not easily seen.

For easier workflow, when you initially crop your image, set the dimensions to 2400px by 3600px, or otherwise. This is actually quite simple considering everyone has 5mp cams and above by now...

My A95 provides 2592px X 1944px which is 5mp and if you look above it is not enough by I've got decent shots on a S8R with my previous 3.2mp cam, ie dont really bother too much about the pixels. just go get a good shot! ((:

Then tell KT, most probably, or the shop I patronize TripleD and tell them NO RESIZE.

Simple?

PM me if you wanna come TripleD print, I get even better prices and service than what Clubsnappers can get at KT. (: (but dont barge in there saying you want so and so prices cuz that uncle mike wont bother unless he sees you with me. haha)

cheerios.
    Yes, certainly when I get to the stage of being able to shortlist enough photos for this competition, I'll give you a buzz to see if you can help me with the printing.

Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2567891217 ... LastLast