Page 6 of 27 FirstFirst ... 456781116 ... LastLast

Thread: Singapore Young Photographer Award (SYPA)

Default Re: Singapore Young Photographer Award (SYPA)

Quote Originally Posted by kiumjoon
    this is so cool of you. how about some cool photographers or hobbyist with better EYES than you enters your church for the 1st time and snap better pictures than you do?
    ASK any rookie here if anyone planned a 10 min shot ever won them anything. Not to mention disrespect for the subject of imaging.

I think it's about time that I save my comments on post like these.

To all those taking part, good luck and all the best!

hey guys, lets save this little disharmony among our small photography community.
    Each person has their own perspective and we shall just leave it as it is.

For me, i think that a contest is to bring people of a common interest together to learn and appericiate each other's works, in this case photography. Of cos, clashes of views are unavoidable, but we should keep it friendly.

Anyway i really hope this thread could provide a channel for more exp photographer to help out the younger ones.

Cheers to all and good luck~!
    Goodness
    Last edited by Goodness; 15th February 2006 at 02:22 PM.

WIN WIN WIN

Quote Originally Posted by eyes
    3. I know it's rubbish because I shot the church before and know the angles better than 1st timers and I can tell from that angle fires, it just plainly junk- unless she decides to do some abstract.

Masters are called as such because they can see things other cannot. At least be sure that you're at the top of the art before you make such comments. Just because you get junk from that angle, doesn't mean other people will.
    Don't think we need to see your portfolio. Rather, care to point out any published pieces/advertisements/competitions that you've won to establish the fact that you are, in fact, qualified to criticise others on their photos based on the angle of how they take the photo?

Quote Originally Posted by eikin
    just join lah, i'm sure your pictures are good enough
    my pr only come out around july i think. lol. wont be enough time.

you guys good luck lah. Later they test me - i'm bloody newbie. Only take pix seriously for 2-3 months, use auto mode, having friend helping me set up the lighting etc, later if they leave me wif manual camera and noone to help me i really lost lol

anyway i can always join next year... and wayyyyy long to go before i reach the age limit =p

Quote Originally Posted by unseen

Masters are called as such because they can see things other cannot. At least be sure that you're at the top of the art before you make such comments. Just because you get junk from that angle, doesn't mean other people will.
    Don't think we need to see your portfolio. Rather, care to point out any published pieces/advertisements/competitions that you've won to establish the fact that you are, in fact, qualified to criticise others on their photos based on the angle of how they take the photo?
    You really reminds me of an ex-PA of Tatler

i think ar this photo competition can be harder than i thought...

# Abstract - er..infra-red considered abstract?
    # Architecture/Buildings - possibly can, singapore has full of them
    # Children at play - er.. i scared later the parents hantam me
    # People at work - hmm... dont think can..
    # Portrait(s) - impossible for me!
    # Nature - how do they define nature? if macro/park then i tink i can...
    # Still Life - possible for me
    # Night Scene - confirm possible.

limited variety for me huh

i dun think infra red considered as abstract. Nature - i think macro of plant or park can go to this category.

Sure is difficult to classify pictures... Especially if they can fall into two or more categories...

Quote Originally Posted by redstone
    Sure is difficult to classify pictures... Especially if they can fall into two or more categories...
    yeah. but im hoping i can use infra + abstract or combine the 2 together..if no i think i can only do..

nature, building, still life, night scene...

I've shot some pics. Dunno if should put into archi or abstract category...

Things like portraits is definitely out of the question for me at the moment. Nature is a personal interest, so it's simpler. In the past I used to do some night photography as well, so there's some passable night shots on computer. But I'm trying to figure out how to do an interesting night shot.

If I simply submitted an architecture-type night shot, or headlamp trails, it'd probably be terribly cliche.

Quote Originally Posted by fWord
    Things like portraits is definitely out of the question for me at the moment. Nature is a personal interest, so it's simpler. In the past I used to do some night photography as well, so there's some passable night shots on computer. But I'm trying to figure out how to do an interesting night shot.

If I simply submitted an architecture-type night shot, or headlamp trails, it'd probably be terribly cliche.
    its hard for me to do a really interesting night shot cuz if i put my iso to 400 ar..dont think can even make it

Quote Originally Posted by metallilan
    its hard for me to do a really interesting night shot cuz if i put my iso to 400 ar..dont think can even make it
    Heheh...no lar. If noisy photos are your intention, it could work successfully. But just try lowest ISO setting on your camera, set it up on a tripod or on a stable surface with beanbag (or any other thing...door stop also can help to elevate camera slightly if necessary), put to sel-timer and go to manual mode for long exposures, you'll get very charming, clean images.

haha. this photo was put in the middle of a grass patch and shutter was left on 15sec. Tv mode. nothing fancy, just had a hard time looking for a patch which had left side and right side got grass, then centre lesser grass and i laid my lousy consumer cam there...

this is what I got. just have fun la! aiyah eventually when you need to find a good and cheap place to print. find me. we can meet up at bugis area.

GO print together. (imagine, 50plus S8Rs. haha)

Quote Originally Posted by germ_boi
    GO print together. (imagine, 50plus S8Rs. haha)

i think i'm printing 8R's using the free vouchers i got when i bought my cam[got 9 of them].

perhaps we should submit together

BOTH! i'm suggesting TripleD mainly because uncle mike there gives me great prices for S8R!

You want to mount it at the BK near there? better not, I would rather do it at home! haha!

Quote Originally Posted by eyes
    ASK any rookie here if anyone planned a 10 min shot ever won them anything. Not to mention disrespect for the subject of imaging.

I think it's about time that I save my comments on post like these.
    I am a rookie..
    I took a impromptu, unplanned shot. I did win something.
    hmmmm last year my friend just anyhow took 2 shots with her digital cam and sent it for some competition, and won... *sweat*
    Bad side is suddenly she thinks she's a great photographer.
    Point is, if someone is being lucky, a unplanned shot can give you a very good result.

I think you're simply being arrogant.

I've seen others simply snap at something VERY uninteresting (for example, a door handle?) to me and churn out wonderfuly intriguing photographs. Just because your skill level is not there, doesn't mean other people's aren't. I doubt you are producing stunning photos that make others rave about your church.
    Last edited by unseen; 26th February 2006 at 01:54 PM.

come on now guys lets put this whole issue behind us..no use in continuing to argue about it.. besides, its not easy to win the grand prize seeing that so many of the youths including the CS youths are participating..so its gonna be a tight one

damn i'd be happy if i win a consolation prize

Page 6 of 27 FirstFirst ... 456781116 ... LastLast