Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst ... 345671015 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 522

Thread: Singapore Young Photographer Award (SYPA)

  1. #81
    Senior Member redstone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Beyond the outer limits
    Posts
    2,898

    Default Re: Singapore Young Photographer Award (SYPA)

    Quote Originally Posted by AngelZhou
    You can go to Art Frind. They have 3 branches, Bras Basah Complex ( near Raffles HOtel, city hall MRT ), Ngee Ann City, or LASALLE-SIA.

    I would suggest you guys to buy a spray called Mounting Spray or something like that as using normal glue will result to bumpy surface.
    Thanks Angel.
    You really helped me.

    How much would the board and spray cost?

  2. #82
    Senior Member redstone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Beyond the outer limits
    Posts
    2,898

    Default Re: Singapore Young Photographer Award (SYPA)

    Quote Originally Posted by n0d3
    The state of the image lor, whats actually there etc. If you're editing to correct colour casts, levels or to sharpen/apply curves it should be okay but nothing too extreme like adding other elements that aren't in the original photo itself.
    Increasiong contrast/saturation and gamma levels can?

  3. #83
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    near the Equator
    Posts
    1,255

    Default Re: Singapore Young Photographer Award (SYPA)

    Quote Originally Posted by eikin
    sometimes it's amusing how someone just take a picture of a building and claims to know enough architecture already oh well, that's OT
    We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities. - Oscar Wilde

  4. #84
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    tampines
    Posts
    141

    Default Re: Singapore Young Photographer Award (SYPA)

    Quote Originally Posted by eyes
    All because of this award, some ah lian came in my church today just before service with her friend, whilst she was wearing a super short shorts exposing half her butt pretending very hard to be a fellow worshipper - which anyway, her butt gave her away.

    Drawing out a pathetic 24-300mm f/3.5 - 5.6, she took a shot at the stain glass and immediately jet off. And to make matters worse, she look to the left and then to the right of the ceiling while on the way swaggering out of the door- what air she has, as if she already won the award.

    I guess, this award really needs more brains to achieve.

    BTW, did I mention, she was carrying a big slag bag which I guess is filled with at least 8 - 10 lenses.

    Let's see if bring a truck of equipment helps her gets the award.
    hi i am a noobie. i know i am in no position to make a comment on the comment qouted by eyes but it is rather disturbing to see a mature or rather experience photographer talking bad or bringing down another photopgraher. i bet you were the same or maybe not when you just started out to the world of photography? i understand that is rather rude of the ahlian to be wearing skimpy shorts to a place of worship but that is not the right way to comment bout her. what if she really won the award? i bet your jaw will drop. how really fantastic are your shots to make such a comment on the ahlian?
    Last edited by noizgod; 13th February 2006 at 05:27 AM.

  5. #85

    Default Re: Singapore Young Photographe Award (SYPA)

    Quote Originally Posted by metallilan
    cool! heng i this year turning 18 only... can give this a shot... i wanted to try this one : http://commonwealthphotos.org/about.aspx

    but the theme is abit hard to do...

    "Digital photographs submitted for this competition should have at least a 300dpi resolution..." Ermm...what does it mean by this?....

  6. #86

    Default Re: Singapore Young Photographer Award (SYPA)

    Quote Originally Posted by noizgod
    hi i am a noobie. i know i am in no position to make a comment on the comment qouted by eyes but it is rather disturbing to see a mature or rather experience photographer talking bad or bringing down another photopgraher. i bet you were the same or maybe not when you just started out to the world of photography? i understand that is rather rude of the ahlian to be wearing skimpy shorts to a place of worship but that is not the right way to comment bout her. what if she really won the award? i bet your jaw will drop. how really fantastic are your shots to make such a comment on the ahlian?
    1. Since you know you're in no position to comment on the subject, I believe you know what to do.

    2. When I started out, I always have the courtesy to ask when taking photos on private property.

    3. I know it's rubbish because I shot the church before and know the angles better than 1st timers and I can tell from that angle fires, it just plainly junk- unless she decides to do some abstract.

    4. How much are you offering me to see my portfolio?

    5. Perhaps when you achieve something like a licienate or associate, perhaps we shall continue this topic further.

    6. Please don't OT my comments on rude personality into anti-photography.

  7. #87
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,095

    Default Re: Singapore Young Photographer Award (SYPA)

    Quote Originally Posted by eyes
    What do you think about showing a demo of butt exposure before a congregation of about a 100 before a 10 min before a church service inside and at the very front row of the church?
    Sounds like typical baroque church decoration ...

  8. #88

    Default Re: Singapore Young Photographer Award (SYPA)

    Quote Originally Posted by redstone
    Increasiong contrast/saturation and gamma levels can?
    Why not?

  9. #89

    Default Re: Singapore Young Photographer Award (SYPA)

    Guys, its just an award. Lets just live and let leave no matter how others might wanna shoot it? Though it is rude, i fully agree, but we'll leave it to the results to find out? we're all learning no matter professional or newbie. Don't let stuff like that ruin a nice Valentine's day ya? is in the air....

  10. #90
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    tampines
    Posts
    141

    Default Re: Singapore Young Photographer Award (SYPA)

    Quote Originally Posted by eyes
    1. Since you know you're in no position to comment on the subject, I believe you know what to do.

    2. When I started out, I always have the courtesy to ask when taking photos on private property.

    3. I know it's rubbish because I shot the church before and know the angles better than 1st timers and I can tell from that angle fires, it just plainly junk- unless she decides to do some abstract.

    4. How much are you offering me to see my portfolio?

    5. Perhaps when you achieve something like a licienate or associate, perhaps we shall continue this topic further.

    6. Please don't OT my comments on rude personality into anti-photography.
    well just a piece of advice...don't be a bigheaded. it is a downfall. trust me it won't get you anywhere. you should be teaching the noobie and not discriminating or dissing. or best still you should have approach her if you think what she did was wrong.

  11. #91
    Member sprewell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Serangoon Central
    Posts
    1,723

    Default Re: Singapore Young Photographer Award (SYPA)

    Anyone thought of the possibility that someone submit an entry taken by a professional and claims it be theirs?

    I mean, if someone obtain permission from a pro to use their photos for competition, what does that make of that person? *worse part the pro allow the person to do so*

    jus wana see what you guys have to say about this.

    $0.02
    Hasselblad 503CW | 100mm f/3.5 CF | Contax 645 | Zeiss 80mm f/2 | Website

  12. #92
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default Re: Singapore Young Photographer Award (SYPA)

    Quote Originally Posted by sprewell
    Anyone thought of the possibility that someone submit an entry taken by a professional and claims it be theirs?

    I mean, if someone obtain permission from a pro to use their photos for competition, what does that make of that person? *worse part the pro allow the person to do so*

    jus wana see what you guys have to say about this.

    $0.02
    well, anyone who do so and gets 'caught' surely will be disqualified. in the spirit of the competition, maybe just think about how to create good pictures oneself rather than worry about what others will do

  13. #93
    Member sprewell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Serangoon Central
    Posts
    1,723

    Default Re: Singapore Young Photographer Award (SYPA)

    Quote Originally Posted by eikin
    well, anyone who do so and gets 'caught' surely will be disqualified. in the spirit of the competition, maybe just think about how to create good pictures oneself rather than worry about what others will do
    Well, i kind of think so too. People like these cannot hide behind those images that do not belong to them forever, sooner or later, people will realise that those pics are not taken by themselves.

    So even if they win the top prize in sypa, i'm pretty sure the truth will be out sooner or later...

    nuff said..
    Hasselblad 503CW | 100mm f/3.5 CF | Contax 645 | Zeiss 80mm f/2 | Website

  14. #94

    Default Re: Singapore Young Photographer Award (SYPA)

    Quote Originally Posted by eyes
    3. I know it's rubbish because I shot the church before and know the angles better than 1st timers and I can tell from that angle fires, it just plainly junk- unless she decides to do some abstract.
    this is so cool of you. how about some cool photographers or hobbyist with better EYES than you enters your church for the 1st time and snap better pictures than you do?

  15. #95
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Sedna, Orion Stars
    Posts
    856

    Default Re: Singapore Young Photographer Award (SYPA)



    is this architecture enough? or too abstract?

  16. #96
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default Re: Singapore Young Photographer Award (SYPA)

    Quote Originally Posted by germ_boi
    is this architecture enough? or too abstract?
    what's architecture for you?

  17. #97

    Default Re: Singapore Young Photographe Award (SYPA)

    thanks for the info

  18. #98
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Sedna, Orion Stars
    Posts
    856

    Default Re: Singapore Young Photographer Award (SYPA)

    Quote Originally Posted by eikin
    what's architecture for you?
    being a newbie. i've always thought of architecture as heavily uninteresting.

    more of a marriage of lines and a harmony of design, architecture photography preaches the use of lines i guess.

    to me, the accompanying caption would probaby be:
    with this, will we be able to soar in the heavens like the birds do?

    (but then again, it would make it seem abstract. sigh. i really dont know!)

  19. #99
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default Re: Singapore Young Photographer Award (SYPA)

    germ_boi: the thought that something is uninteresting already narrows down your creativity. at the most basic level, and also the most profound level, think of 'space' i'm sure the libraries have many good reads on architecture photography
    Last edited by eikin; 14th February 2006 at 11:09 PM.

  20. #100
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Sedna, Orion Stars
    Posts
    856

    Default Re: Singapore Young Photographer Award (SYPA)

    thanks everyone for your comments! eyes too

    eikin: have sent you a PM

Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst ... 345671015 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •