Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 162124252627 LastLast
Results 501 to 520 of 522

Thread: Singapore Young Photographer Award (SYPA)

  1. #501
    Senior Member redstone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Beyond the outer limits
    Posts
    2,898

    Default Re: Singapore Young Photographer Award (SYPA)

    Quote Originally Posted by silentnoises
    i agree.
    which ones did you dislike?
    That photo of the long brown building slanted against the blue sky.
    Photo of Bishan Library
    The BnW photo of this person shooting (with camera, not gun ) a little boy


    Hmm....

  2. #502
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    3,350

    Default Re: Singapore Young Photographer Award (SYPA)

    Mr Yeap's B&W portfolio looks good to me though. Especially enjoyed the one of the horses and the sunrays bursting through the clouds.

  3. #503

    Default Re: Singapore Young Photographer Award (SYPA)

    Quote Originally Posted by silentnoises
    i agree.
    which ones did you dislike?
    Seriously, i meant in in NO OFFENCE to anyone..be it if the winners are Clubsnappers or not. IMHO,

    I liked:
    Mr Ng Yong Yi ' s
    Facial , Snail and Building shot

    Ms Mackie Tan's
    All

    Mr Yeap Chin Tiong's
    All

    Ms Martini Binte Abdul Talib's
    All

    Mr Low Youjin's
    All except his sunrise shot.

    Kwok Kin Fei's
    Cityhall shot..Swissotel?

    Ch'ng Yaohong's
    Blue building shot.


    DISLIKED (does not appeal to me at all):
    Ms Lam Hui Ching:
    All (so sorry)

    Mr Ng Yong Yi's
    Monkey (kinda over compressed)
    Jeans (Nice play of lighting but kinda boring)

    Mr Low Youjin's
    Sunrise (too little contrasts)

    Kwok Kin Fei's
    FE shot

    Zhuo Zehai's
    Both..the curved one is Ok but does not appeal to me


  4. #504
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    3,350

    Default Re: Singapore Young Photographer Award (SYPA)

    Quote Originally Posted by seanlim
    DISLIKED (does not appeal to me at all):
    Ms Lam Hui Ching:
    All (so sorry)


    Actually, although I initially didn't have much going for Ms Lam's spider macro shot, perhaps the pattern in the leaves from foreground to background is part of the attraction in the photo.

    Anyway, all her shots are better than what I could have done at 16...only got keen in photography when I was 20 or so.

  5. #505
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    3,350

    Default Re: Singapore Young Photographer Award (SYPA)

    Once again, not sure if anyone knows...but, are these winning photos the only ones that are exhibited at the SAM? Or are there other works on display as well? I couldn't make it down there again yesterday because my camp is too far away.

  6. #506

    Default Re: Singapore Young Photographer Award (SYPA)

    Quote Originally Posted by fWord
    Actually, although I initially didn't have much going for Ms Lam's spider macro shot, perhaps the pattern in the leaves from foreground to background is part of the attraction in the photo.

    Anyway, all her shots are better than what I could have done at 16...only got keen in photography when I was 20 or so.
    Maybe its only me...i believe the standard critique would be a messy and distrating foreground and background...

  7. #507
    Senior Member redstone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Beyond the outer limits
    Posts
    2,898

    Default Re: Singapore Young Photographer Award (SYPA)

    Quote Originally Posted by fWord
    Once again, not sure if anyone knows...but, are these winning photos the only ones that are exhibited at the SAM? Or are there other works on display as well? I couldn't make it down there again yesterday because my camp is too far away.
    Only winners' works. And also some works by Russel Wong and Quek Leng Joo (pardon the spelling) and others

  8. #508
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    3,350

    Default Re: Singapore Young Photographer Award (SYPA)

    Quote Originally Posted by seanlim
    Maybe its only me...i believe the standard critique would be a messy and distrating foreground and background...
    Ah yes, that is also valid.

    Truth is, I'm really trying to 'read' into all these winning photos to find the essence that makes them a winning photo. Hopefully I can turn a parchio eye into one that can really see.

  9. #509
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    3,350

    Default Re: Singapore Young Photographer Award (SYPA)

    Quote Originally Posted by redstone
    Only winners' works. And also some works by Russel Wong and Quek Leng Joo (pardon the spelling) and others
    Aww geez...that's all? Wish there would have been more. I could still go down to see the guest photographer's shots though, and see the winning photos in the flesh. Don't think the thumbnails are going to show much.

  10. #510
    Senior Member redstone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Beyond the outer limits
    Posts
    2,898

    Default Re: Singapore Young Photographer Award (SYPA)

    Quote Originally Posted by fWord
    Aww geez...that's all? Wish there would have been more. I could still go down to see the guest photographer's shots though, and see the winning photos in the flesh. Don't think the thumbnails are going to show much.
    I think they should at least display the other works that did not win.

  11. #511
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    3,350

    Default Re: Singapore Young Photographer Award (SYPA)

    Quote Originally Posted by redstone
    I think they should at least display the other works that did not win.
    Well, perhaps they should have had some 'honourable mentions'...you know, the ones that came close but didn't exactly make it.

  12. #512
    Senior Member redstone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Beyond the outer limits
    Posts
    2,898

    Default Re: Singapore Young Photographer Award (SYPA)

    Quote Originally Posted by fWord
    Well, perhaps they should have had some 'honourable mentions'...you know, the ones that came close but didn't exactly make it.
    YUP!


    Honestly, I can't justify some of the winners' works. Some are very good, but some....
    Maybe it's just me. Sorry if I said anything wrong. Art IS subjective.

  13. #513
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    3,350

    Default Re: Singapore Young Photographer Award (SYPA)

    Quote Originally Posted by redstone
    YUP!


    Honestly, I can't justify some of the winners' works. Some are very good, but some....
    Maybe it's just me. Sorry if I said anything wrong. Art IS subjective.
    Yes, it is subjective. And to each his own.

    When we participate in a competition and subsequently comment on the works of others, it might seem biased and self-contrived, but everyone really deserves a chance to have a say.

  14. #514

    Default Re: Singapore Young Photographer Award (SYPA)

    Quote Originally Posted by redstone
    YUP!


    Honestly, I can't justify some of the winners' works. Some are very good, but some....
    Maybe it's just me. Sorry if I said anything wrong. Art IS subjective.

    maybe you can try articulating what you dislike about the winners' works? instead of just saying some are very good but some..?

    for me, i felt some photos are just purely technical, the winners forgot that the photographs are suppose to also communicate a feeling, and not just focus on the right exposure, aperture, lighting whatever nots. but that's just how i feel.

  15. #515

    Default Re: Singapore Young Photographer Award (SYPA)

    Quote Originally Posted by silentnoises
    maybe you can try articulating what you dislike about the winners' works? instead of just saying some are very good but some..?

    for me, i felt some photos are just purely technical, the winners forgot that the photographs are suppose to also communicate a feeling, and not just focus on the right exposure, aperture, lighting whatever nots. but that's just how i feel.
    feeling critical now...erm,
    Ms Lam Hui Ching's

    Yellow building picture..- Act minimalist buai minimalist..distracting background.
    Clarke quay? picture. the purple one- Overblown highlights...tourist snapshot..nth spectacular.
    Cat Close up- Nice moment but noisy+tight crop.
    Spider..- C'mon..we've seen much better!
    Vases....-holiday snap shot..nth spectacular,=.
    Blue wall..maybe the only passible one is contrast and stuff are boosted...


  16. #516

    Default Re: Singapore Young Photographer Award (SYPA)

    *ouch for lam hui ching.

    she belongs to some photography club, i think.
    maybe this prize will spur her on further, besides, she's still young and will be able to join for a few more times.

  17. #517
    Senior Member redstone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Beyond the outer limits
    Posts
    2,898

    Default Re: Singapore Young Photographer Award (SYPA)

    Some of us have not many chances left.

    Try again in 2008....

  18. #518
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    3,350

    Default Re: Singapore Young Photographer Award (SYPA)

    Quote Originally Posted by redstone
    Some of us have not many chances left.

    Try again in 2008....
    Absolutely...I've got two more tries left. Maybe they'll take pity on me when I'm 25 and they might give me consolation.

    When chickens start to fly that is.

  19. #519
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    1,107

    Default Re: Singapore Young Photographer Award (SYPA)

    Are they exhibiting the pictures??

  20. #520
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    3,350

    Default Re: Singapore Young Photographer Award (SYPA)

    Quote Originally Posted by Stanly
    Are they exhibiting the pictures??
    Of course. They're on display at the Singapore Art Museum.

Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 162124252627 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •