Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 1234712 ... LastLast

Thread: Singapore Young Photographer Award (SYPA)

Default Re: Singapore Young Photographe Award (SYPA)

Hahah...young enough to join but not enough talent.

Quote Originally Posted by fWord

sure can la..practice lo..i no talent also wan try try... who knows you may be the next big thing

Quote Originally Posted by metallilan
    sure can la..practice lo..i no talent also wan try try... who knows you may be the next big thing
    Pshaw...surely not. However I agree that practice is the key. I just wasn't born a photographer.

They want 6 prints from a handful of categories...I'd be hard-pressed to find that many presentable pieces in my collection. But of course, if don't try, how'd I know? I'll run over to read the TOS. Just hope they don't say something along the lines that all submissions now belong to them and can be used by them royalty-free.

cool! heng i this year turning 18 only... can give this a shot... i wanted to try this one : http://commonwealthphotos.org/about.aspx

but the theme is abit hard to do...
    yeah... vitality? lol no idea what to shoot =p

good luck for those who join the competition - i would certainly want to give it a try if my pr application accepted by... around july? ( wait, what's my deadline? )i

join join join! there is always something called ' the luck factor'

I wouldn't get any prize... Still gotta improve my aesthetic sense of photography...

just join la..make it more fun..Increase your confidence too

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Swatch
    Images that are digitally enhanced or manipulated are allowed as long as the
    reality of each image is not distorted. The original negative, slide or digital files (consisting of both the touched up and the original untouched image) of prize winning entries must be submitted for verification upon notification, failing which, the entries will be disqualified.
    I dont get this..anyone care to explain?(i may be editing the pics little bit)
    Simple... negatives are proof you own the images. Submitting the original, means it's as good as giving away your rights
    Last edited by espn; 8th February 2006 at 11:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by espn
    Simple... negatives are proof you own the images. Submitting the original, means it's as good as giving away your rights
    You don't submit the original neg or raw files. It is only when you win, then the org files are needed for verification. (Or simply to proof that you are the original author)

Please do not misinterpret such a simple sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by arttl
    You don't submit the original neg or raw files. It is only when you win, then the org files are needed for verification. (Or simply to proof that you are the original author)

IF I win,and i dont shoot in RAW, then JPEG can right? need the EXIF data thats all right?

Default Re: Singapore Young Photographer Award (SYPA)

damn. 26 this year

To put it another way, if we win, we'd be selling 6 of our photos for $5000. However, the title itself and the recognition you get will probably bring in intangibles worth another 10 grand or so...depending on how you see it, and how much attention you like.

Quote Originally Posted by AngelZhou
    join join join! there is always something called ' the luck factor'
    Yes, good point. I'm convinced to take part now. Trouble is that I went through my collection critically and only came up with 4 photos from 3 categories. And if I wanted to be more critical, I guess there wouldn't be anything left to submit.

What I wonder though, is how much it costs to get 6 photos printed out in 8X10. Furthermore, though unlikely, I'm worried that I get shortlisted, they ask me to come down for an interview or photoshoot and I find myself stuck in camp...what could I possibly do then?

Yes, good point. I'm convinced to take part now. Trouble is that I went through my collection critically and only came up with 4 photos from 3 categories. And if I wanted to be more critical, I guess there wouldn't be anything left to submit.

What I wonder though, is how much it costs to get 6 photos printed out in 8X10. Furthermore, though unlikely, I'm worried that I get shortlisted, they ask me to come down for an interview or photoshoot and I find myself stuck in camp...what could I possibly do then?
    i think you shouldn't be too worried about. the deadline is still months away..in june! think whats best for now is to outline which categories you wish to shoot and start practicing. that's what i'll do when my examinations are over by the end of this month...
    Last edited by metallilan; 9th February 2006 at 11:14 AM.

i think you shouldn't be too worried about. the deadline is still months away..in june! think whats best for now is to outline which categories you wish to shoot and start practicing. that's what i'll do when i my examinations are over by the end of this month...
    Suppose that's possible. However 4 decent photos in the last 3 years is pretty worrying. I only have the weekends, but I'd make good use of that.

Quote Originally Posted by AngelZhou
    me not pr yet also T____T but i'm residenting permanently in singapore =p consider or not? XD
    hahaha~ funny...

Be critical, but not overly-critical. The point is that you enter into the competition with the best of what you have. You'll improve as you go along.

What I wonder though, is how much it costs to get 6 photos printed out in 8X10.
    8" x 10" (8R) costs $2.50 from the place I print (Grace Digital @ Sunset Way), 8" x 12" (S8R) costs $3. Note that 8R is not exactly 3:2 aspect ratio, so you will have some parts cropped off - important if you are using SLR. If you're using a 4:3 aspect ratio camera, do crop it yourself to the correct aspect ratio on whatever you are printing on before submitting it to the lab for printing.

Furthermore, though unlikely, I'm worried that I get shortlisted, they ask me to come down for an interview or photoshoot and I find myself stuck in camp...what could I possibly do then?
    Ask for a letter from the organisation, and apply for excuse/leave. Unless you are overseas, I don't see why they won't let you book out. Don't think such things will be on a weekday where people are having school/working anyway. Just pray it doesn't clash with some important training/exercise lor...

All in all, enjoy, and all the best!

Quote Originally Posted by Ah Pao
    Be critical, but not overly-critical. The point is that you enter into the competition with the best of what you have. You'll improve as you go along.

8" x 10" (8R) costs $2.50 from the place I print (Grace Digital @ Sunset Way), 8" x 12" (S8R) costs $3. Note that 8R is not exactly 3:2 aspect ratio, so you will have some parts cropped off - important if you are using SLR. If you're using a 4:3 aspect ratio camera, do crop it yourself to the correct aspect ratio on whatever you are printing on before submitting it to the lab for printing.

Ask for a letter from the organisation, and apply for excuse/leave. Unless you are overseas, I don't see why they won't let you book out. Don't think such things will be on a weekday where people are having school/working anyway. Just pray it doesn't clash with some important training/exercise lor...

All in all, enjoy, and all the best!
    Thanks for the help on the pricing. I've never printed at 8X10 before. However the pictures turned out to be of the correct aspect ration on 4X6 and A4 prints.

Certainly, it'd be worth using up one day's leave for something this special. Just pray I not suay. I'm actually the vet in the dog unit in SAF, and on call 24 hours a day. If they call me and need me there as part of an emergency, I'd have to drop everything (well, just about) and attend to the case.

Deregistered

If it's purely used to verify, yes, it's ok, but if they keep/copy, then it's not

Thanks for the help on the pricing. I've never printed at 8X10 before. However the pictures turned out to be of the correct aspect ration on 4X6 and A4 prints.

Certainly, it'd be worth using up one day's leave for something this special. Just pray I not suay. I'm actually the vet in the dog unit in SAF, and on call 24 hours a day. If they call me and need me there as part of an emergency, I'd have to drop everything (well, just about) and attend to the case.
    then if u really kenna recall then it's fate.. ur luck.. but that's not the point.. join 1st then decide the rest later.

Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 1234712 ... LastLast