Page 12 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2710111213141722 ... LastLast

Thread: Singapore Young Photographer Award (SYPA)

Default Re: Singapore Young Photographer Award (SYPA)

i pass this competition. lack of interest and also my pr take longer than expected.

do i ve to resize my photo in ps to 8 by 11" (the required size) b4 i sent for printing?

Quote Originally Posted by redstone
    I'm submitting a sky scenery. Of clouds and light.
    Heheh...the one in your avatar? Nevertheless, a sky scene would go under Nature if I were in your shoes...that's what I think anyway. Others may wish to correct me.

Quote Originally Posted by danlin
    do i ve to resize my photo in ps to 8 by 11" (the required size) b4 i sent for printing?
    There is no need to do so. At the printing stage your photo will be fitted automatically into the photo paper, however you will need to be aware of the proportions of your image, otherwise unexpected cropping will occur. The SYPA will only take in printed photos that are 8 X 10" or 8 X 12" (not 8 X 11").

Hence for example, a 3456 pixel X 2304 pixel image will fit exactly into an 8 X 12" paper because their proportions are the same (3:2 with respect to width:height).

What are the respective sizes for the mounting board i need to buy for 8R & S8R?

oh no... I haven't get my stuffs ready yet...
    I am NOT a PROfessional photographer and photography is NOT my hobby

Quote Originally Posted by Youhong
    same here. but i'll be printing really soon! should be submitting by this weekend...

Quote Originally Posted by Youhong
    No need to worry. I was told that most of the entries go in only a day or two before the due date anyway...many of those will probably be last-minute entries. Sometimes the lack of time might be a good spark for the imagination.

Still have yet to select my pics...

Quote Originally Posted by RtOaNn
    What are the respective sizes for the mounting board i need to buy for 8R & S8R?
    It's down to personal choice. I'm not sure what sizes of mounting board are available, but I bought A3 size board for my S8R photos and they are superb. The difficulty here is that the mounting board is so big that I had a hard time looking for an envelope to put them all in for submission. In the end though I did find one of those plastic folders with two clip-on buttons and it worked.

Quote Originally Posted by fWord
    It's down to personal choice. I'm not sure what sizes of mounting board are available, but I bought A3 size board for my S8R photos and they are superb. The difficulty here is that the mounting board is so big that I had a hard time looking for an envelope to put them all in for submission. In the end though I did find one of those plastic folders with two clip-on buttons and it worked.
    you mean you snail mailed them? i'm gonna hand them up personally... should i put it in an envelope as well?

oh btw, i got an image that's 1914 by 1079 px, thats like widescreen size, do you think there's any problems if i send it for printing on S8R?
    Last edited by metallilan; 4th June 2006 at 08:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by metallilan
    you mean you snail mailed them? i'm gonna hand them up personally... should i put it in an envelope as well?

oh btw, i got an image that's 1914 by 1079 px, thats like widescreen size, do you think there's any problems if i send it for printing on S8R?
    No, I actually hand-delivered them today. That was when the guy told me that most of the entries only come in one or two days before the deadline...which is pretty much expected I guess.

Still, I recommend getting an envelope of some sort, or even a bag so that you can store everything neatly inside.

Looking at the image dimensions that's looking like it's not going to fit well into either an S8R or an 8R. If you wish to follow the ratio of an S8R canvas, which is 3:2 (width:height), consider making your image something along the lines of 1914 X 1276. Do not stretch the image itself but do this action by going to PS, select Image and then Canvas Size. Ensure your background colour is white.

I have difficulty putting all this succinctly but you will now have an image with a white border at the top and bottom. Otherwise, consider cropping your image so that the aspect ratio becomes 3:2 (to fit on an S8R) or 5:4 (to fit on an 8R).

Hope this is correct.

Easiest is probably to call the photolab you're intending to patronize and explain your situation. Ask if they can print your image onto an 8R or S8R canvas without cropping any parts of the image out. I am sure they can.
    Last edited by fWord; 4th June 2006 at 08:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fWord
    No, I actually hand-delivered them today. That was when the guy told me that most of the entries only come in one or two days before the deadline...which is pretty much expected I guess.

Still, I recommend getting an envelope of some sort, or even a bag so that you can store everything neatly inside.

Looking at the image dimensions that's looking like it's not going to fit well into either an S8R or an 8R. If you wish to follow the ratio of an S8R canvas, which is 3:2 (width:height), consider making your image something along the lines of 1914 X 1276. Do not stretch the image itself but do this action by going to PS, select Image and then Canvas Size. Ensure your background colour is white.

I have difficulty putting all this succinctly but you will now have an image with a white border at the top and bottom. Otherwise, consider cropping your image so that the aspect ratio becomes 3:2 (to fit on an S8R) or 5:4 (to fit on an 8R).

Hope this is correct.

Easiest is probably to call the photolab you're intending to patronize and explain your situation. Ask if they can print your image onto an 8R or S8R canvas without cropping any parts of the image out. I am sure they can.
    point noted! thanks alot for the help i was thinking of the canvas thingy too, would be better for the canvas colour to be black or white?

8R and S8R?

We need to say when and where photos were taken. I had shot some in OCH, but theorectically it is considered trespassing. So not sure should I put or not.

Guys... Where Do I Purchase The Mounting Boards? And How Much Will It Cost? And Can The Printing Be Done Ourselves?

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by devilsjaw
    Guys... Where Do I Purchase The Mounting Boards? And How Much Will It Cost? And Can The Printing Be Done Ourselves?

Cheers.
    you can get most of the materials at artfriend.

IIRC, one black A3 board was around $1.20, while the 3M photo spray mount was about $18.55

Think i'm giving this a pass as well. Been having a very very bad run with my photos recently. Been feeling so bad about them that it breaks me down so badly. Lack of soul and meaning in the photos. All the best to all other participants of this year's SYPA. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by metallilan
    you can get most of the materials at artfriend.

IIRC, one black A3 board was around $1.20, while the 3M photo spray mount was about $18.55
    Allryte... Thanks.... And Must The Entries Be Printed At Shops... Can I Use A Home Photo Printer?

Quote Originally Posted by redstone
    8R and S8R?
    8R is an 8 X 10" photo. S8R (or super 8R) is 8 X 12". Check the regulations at the SYPA website for more.

Page 12 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2710111213141722 ... LastLast