Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Keeping Lens safe from Humidity

vince123123
    Guests

Default Re: Keeping Lens safe from Humidity

Then it would also apply to all the other advice present on this forum

Quote Originally Posted by blive
    But he wants to sue if he kena fungus due to your advice??? Is he paying you for advice?

I know, quite ridiculous, isn't it? ..

Court !!!

Quote Originally Posted by blive
    But he wants to sue if he kena fungus due to your advice??? Is he paying you for advice?
    As advised, he should get a hygrometer to check the humidity. Not that air-conditioned room definitely has a lower humidity. For example, if someone planted a humidifier (I wonder why would anyone wants to buy a humidifier when Singapore's RH is always above 75%) in the room, the humidity will never be in the range of 40%-60%.

Just a note on humidity on health. Keeping your bedroom below 55% also prevent bed bugs feasting or building a "colony" in your mattress. Keeping your humidity between 40% to 60% also prevent musty smell on your curtains. My store room is kept at between 50% to 60% using the Petite Dehumidifier (available from Homefix).

Those who suffers from sinus problems will also benefit from this RH values though I can't guarantee this. Perhaps some doctors can advise on this.

So summary - Sleep in a Dry Box? You decide. Haha...

You can give your lens to me and I'll protect it from humidity. cheers.

vince123123
    Guests

You know, when I switch on the aircon (35%), the RH is actually lower than what I set in my Dry Cabi (45%).

Does this petite dehumidifier require consumables? Or is it a plug in and forget device?

Quote Originally Posted by pigs_can_fly
    As advised, he should get a hygrometer to check the humidity. Not that air-conditioned room definitely has a lower humidity. For example, if someone planted a humidifier (I wonder why would anyone wants to buy a humidifier when Singapore's RH is always above 75%) in the room, the humidity will never be in the range of 40%-60%.

Just a note on humidity on health. Keeping your bedroom below 55% also prevent bed bugs feasting or building a "colony" in your mattress. Keeping your humidity between 40% to 60% also prevent musty smell on your curtains. My store room is kept at between 50% to 60% using the Petite Dehumidifier (available from Homefix).

Those who suffers from sinus problems will also benefit from this RH values though I can't guarantee this. Perhaps some doctors can advise on this.

So summary - Sleep in a Dry Box? You decide. Haha...

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123
    You know, when I switch on the aircon (35%), the RH is actually lower than what I set in my Dry Cabi (45%).

Does this petite dehumidifier require consumables? Or is it a plug in and forget device?
    Are you using an electronic Hygrometer? I find that those analogue ones will get a bit retard or stiff after a while and you need to exercise the springs with damp cloth once in a while. I'm using Oregon Scientific Hygrometers. IMO, they are pretty accurate.

The Petite Dehumidifier liquidify the moisture into a container. If the temperature is high, the conversion is faster. It all depends on surrounding temperature and how "air-tight" is the environment. For my case (in my store room), I empty the container once every 3 days. The dehumidifier will stop once the container is full (safety feature). So that, water will not overflow.

Note that the Petite Dehumidifier consumes about 25 watts. Depending on your room size, you might need 2 sets for a larger room. There are bigger units (other brands) with auto-drainage but are much more expensive. And these units consume more power.

Just to add on, I keep some old framed paintings / pictures and bags in my store room. So far, no signs of mould.

Quote Originally Posted by espn
    *cough cough* I tiko.. erm I mean ah pek liao you know
    No lah, should say lao chiao (expert) already

vince123123
    Guests

Well actually I'm using an electronic hygrometer built in the cabinet, as well as a separate standalone electronic hygrometer. The analogue ones which I have in my previous cabinet were a little wacky, but gneerally once calibrated against the electronic ones (using a screwdriver) it generally is about the same.

Btw how much is your petite thingy?

Quote Originally Posted by pigs_can_fly
    Are you using an electronic Hygrometer? I find that those analogue ones will get a bit retard or stiff after a while and you need to exercise the springs with damp cloth once in a while. I'm using Oregon Scientific Hygrometers. IMO, they are pretty accurate.

The Petite Dehumidifier liquidify the moisture into a container. If the temperature is high, the conversion is faster. It all depends on surrounding temperature and how "air-tight" is the environment. For my case (in my store room), I empty the container once every 3 days. The dehumidifier will stop once the container is full (safety feature). So that, water will not overflow.

Note that the Petite Dehumidifier consumes about 25 watts. Depending on your room size, you might need 2 sets for a larger room. There are bigger units (other brands) with auto-drainage but are much more expensive. And these units consume more power.

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123
    Well actually I'm using an electronic hygrometer built in the cabinet, as well as a separate standalone electronic hygrometer. The analogue ones which I have in my previous cabinet were a little wacky, but gneerally once calibrated against the electronic ones (using a screwdriver) it generally is about the same.

Btw how much is your petite thingy?
    Homefix is selling the Petite Dehumidifier for $99. I saw Ruby selling the same thing too. Good for small room filled with things. Helps to prevent mould and musty smell in store room.

For big area, I think air-conditioner is probably the best in Singapore.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12