Page 5 of 48 FirstFirst ... 34567101530 ... LastLast

Thread: Any Dog Lovers here?

Default Re: Any Dog Lovers here?

Quote Originally Posted by Haze
    i looking for female westies or maltese lor
    You can try Soo Kee kennel (not sure whether they're still around) or those pet farms. There's a pet shop which i frequent run by a husband and wife ...in Joo Chiat Lane, but his dogs are mainly imported (he had a Welsch Corgi ... asking $2.2K imported ) ...

Ya lor... got a guy willing sell me his westie at 1k.. then i saw the petshop and pet farm at 2k.. wow liao
    You haven't asked the price for a ball of fur - Yorkshire Terrier .. you'll be shocked at the price

Quote Originally Posted by dEthANGeL
    You can try Soo Kee kennel (not sure whether they're still around) or those pet farms. There's a pet shop which i frequent run by a husband and wife ...in Joo Chiat Lane, but his dogs are mainly imported (he had a Welsch Corgi ... asking $2.2K imported ) ...
    wow liao so ex.. i stick to the 1k westie pup then
    not a rich person..

You haven't asked the price for a ball of fur - Yorkshire Terrier .. you'll be shocked at the price
    chey..
    i will buy one adopt one.. so both have company.
    U find a small breed puppies let me adopt ok.. .. i want maltese or westie nian.. ok? ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by kevyan
    Hi hi...

My wife and myself are thinking of having a dog, but the problem is, most of the time, no one is a home.

Don't think it is a good idea right? Will the dog get sick because of loneliness?

Please don't get the dog if that is the case. Dogs are highly social animals and putting them at home all the time is as good as locking a person in the room all the time with nothing to do. Ask yourself first, what do you want the dog for if you are not around most of the time. The dog will get mentally sick and disturbed if locked at home alone for long periods.

My friend in Australia had a pomenerian which he bought for his gf when she had one of her "I want" whims. The poor fellow was neglected after she got bored with it and was often locked up in the house alone. Being lonely, it became abit possessive and everytime my friend wanted to go out, he would get really excited or rather afraid I would say of being left alone and start yapping and running around my friend's legs. My friend also quite an ass**** would kick his dog away and shout at it to get lost.... sigh......

After I offered to baby sit him when my friend went back to HK for 2 months, it took me some time to undo some of the damage he did...... Constant hugging and sweet talking to the bugger..... and everytime I needed to go out. I would switch the TV on, and talk to the dog. Yes literally talk to him like a human and say "Im going out for lunch, be a good boy and watch tv okay?" The funny thing was he didnt go barking at me like he did to the owner but actually sat on the sofa and walked the box!! Then also no matter where I was in the city, would rush home before sundown to switch on the lights for him so that he won't have to walk around in the dark at home...

So to the gentleman and his wife who are not at home most of the time but want a dog, are you prepared for such responsibility or will you be one of those handing over the dog to SPCA after 3 months?

I'd have to agree with you here.

Most breeds here in SG, the blood lines are already very very messed up ... especially the huskies, GSDs and smaller breeds. Worst part being, the markup rate is very high.
    they are many kind of breeders. Some are just backyard breeder. They breed for money and nothing else. the stud dog and the bitch are normally kept in a cage/small compund, and breed 2 times a year...going on and on.

As long as both parents have the cert, getting the cert for the puppy is very easy. just admin work.

and they just sell to pet shop and a dirt cheap price.

quality of the puppy drop. no QC at all. And the pet shop like to buy from them, i) cheap ii) consistent supply

My experience of buying my Rottweiler,

1) I found out as many well known breeders (around my area) as i could...even to those rural area that I have to drive 1-2 hour
    2) I visit and speak to the breeder. look at his kennel.
    3) I look to the stud dog, the pedigree and the cert. (in german language) Experience with them..look at him pyhiscally and his temparent.
    4) I look to the bitch, the pedigree and the cert. (in german language) Experience with them..look at her pyhiscally and his temparent.
    5) I am very typical, both parents have to be imported from germany.
    6) when the puppies are born, I visit them at 7th week. Play with them. Initial stage of selection.
    7) I visite the puppies at 8week, do temperament/behaviour testing...and make the selection from there.
    Last edited by MichaelLee; 6th February 2006 at 04:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by centuryegg
    Please don't get the dog if that is the case. Dogs are highly social animals and putting them at home all the time is as good as locking a person in the room all the time with nothing to do. Ask yourself first, what do you want the dog for if you are not around most of the time. The dog will get mentally sick and disturbed if locked at home alone for long periods.

My friend in Australia had a pomenerian which he bought for his gf when she had one of her "I want" whims. The poor fellow was neglected after she got bored with it and was often locked up in the house alone. Being lonely, it became abit possessive and everytime my friend wanted to go out, he would get really excited or rather afraid I would say of being left alone and start yapping and running around my friend's legs. My friend also quite an ass**** would kick his dog away and shout at it to get lost.... sigh......

After I offered to baby sit him when my friend went back to HK for 2 months, it took me some time to undo some of the damage he did...... Constant hugging and sweet talking to the bugger..... and everytime I needed to go out. I would switch the TV on, and talk to the dog. Yes literally talk to him like a human and say "Im going out for lunch, be a good boy and watch tv okay?" The funny thing was he didnt go barking at me like he did to the owner but actually sat on the sofa and walked the box!! Then also no matter where I was in the city, would rush home before sundown to switch on the lights for him so that he won't have to walk around in the dark at home...

So to the gentleman and his wife who are not at home most of the time but want a dog, are you prepared for such responsibility or will you be one of those handing over the dog to SPCA after 3 months?
    What u said really remind me of my girl ..
    During Weekday, my mum will rush home to switch on the light for cherish if she cannot make it home before 6pm ...
    Sob sob.. i am not a good owner my cherish was alone at home during day time

Quote Originally Posted by wong_se
    they are many kind of breeders. Some are just backyard breeder. They breed for money and nothing else. the stud dog and the bitch are normally kept in a cage/small compund, and breed 2 times a year...going on and on.

As long as both parents have the cert, getting the cert for the puppy is very easy. just admin work.

quality of the puppy drop. no QC at all. And the pet shop like to buy from them, i) cheap ii) consistent supply

1) I found out as many well known breeders (around my area) as i could...even to those rural area that I have to drive 1-2 hour
    3) I look to the stud dog, the pedigree and the cert. (in german language) Experience with them..look at him pyhiscally and his temparent.
    4) I look to the bitch, the pedigree and the cert. (in german language) Experience with them..look at her pyhiscally and his temparent.
    6) when the puppies are born, I visit them at 7th week. Play with them. Initial stage of selection.
    7) I visite the puppy at 8week, do temperament/behaviour testing...and make a decision from there.
    How about westie? Do u mind company me to visit them on their 8th week, do temperament/behaviour testing...and make a decision from 4 puppies?

What u said really remind me of my girl ..
    During Weekday, my mum will rush home to switch on the light for cherish if she cannot make it home before 6pm ...
    Sob sob.. i am not a good owner my cherish was alone at home during day time
    Oh that fellow turned out to be one bloody smart dog!! Would bring him for walks.... half way he would start to slow down and then in the end stop and whezz like he is out of breath..... So I end up carrying him all the way.... but when we get home, he can run around like a rocket......

At night when come to bed time, would come in the room and lie his head on the pillow next to mine head and share the pillow with me... gave me a bloody shock the first time!

But then again he was damn protective of me.... when my housemate opened my room door to wake me up for breakfast, the bugger bared his teeth and my housemate and growled... damn funny cos my housemate was a big size fellow and this puny little doggie growling at him

Quote Originally Posted by centuryegg
    Oh that fellow turned out to be one bloody smart dog!! Would bring him for walks.... half way he would start to slow down and then in the end stop and whezz like he is out of breath..... So I end up carrying him all the way.... but when we get home, he can run around like a rocket......

At night when come to bed time, would come in the room and lie his head on the pillow next to mine head and share the pillow with me... gave me a bloody shock the first time!

But then again he was damn protective of me.... when my housemate opened my room door to wake me up for breakfast, the bugger bared his teeth and my housemate and growled... damn funny cos my housemate was a big size fellow and this puny little doggie growling at him
    hahah sound like my friend's dog. During new year, she brought him to my home.. just 4yrs old.. run awhile got to rest liao.. but my friend's parent feed him wat ever he like even Bak gua.
    so cute.. so how old is ur dog now ...
    cherish also will wake my mum up if she dun get up after the alarm clock ring

How about westie? Do u mind company me to visit them on their 8th week, do temperament/behaviour testing...and make a decision from 4 puppies?
    Borrow some books from library. Normally the 1st chapter is about whether u should get a dog, and 2nd chapter is about preparing for the dog, or how to choose the right dog.

U can read up 2 books ...that is sufficient.

but if u are buying from a pet shop, normally they have only 1 puppy of that breed for sale. U won't have any choices to do your selection. Right...?

Unless u are given a chance to select amongst the group of puppies, then I would say having temperament testing does make sense.

Although puppy with bad temperament do not mean that they are bad dog, they just need an experience dog owner to give them a harsh training/lesson.

But a puppy who has low confidence, then no matter how good the trainer, the puppy will never be a good dog. Because he is born with a sense of fear. (FYI, more than 50% of the dog bite stranger because they are afraid of stranger...so they do attack)

and pls dun be fool by the size. Lots of inexperience buyer like the puppy in big size and chabby...and because of that, pet shop normally over feed the puppy and make them look cute.

I can offer advice....if u need. PM me.

7) I visite the puppies at 8week, do temperament/behaviour testing...and make the selection from there.
    Yeap .. definitely that's how they operate.

Interesting insight as to how to look for a good dog.

I'm starting to wonder, are there any australian shepard breeders here in Singapore... last i spoke to a lady, they had a club and they had to specially bring them in at certain times only.

Borrow some books from library. Normally the 1st chapter is about whether u should get a dog, and 2nd chapter is about preparing for the dog, or how to choose the right dog.

U can read up 2 books ...that is sufficient.

but if u are buying from a pet shop, normally they have only 1 puppy of that breed for sale. U won't have any choices to do your selection. Right...?

Unless u are given a chance to select amongst the group of puppies, then I would say having temperament testing does make sense.

Although puppy with bad temperament do not mean that they are bad dog, they just need an experience dog owner to give them a harsh training/lesson.

But a puppy who has low confidence, then no matter how good the trainer, the puppy will never be a good dog. Because he is born with a sense of fear. (FYI, more than 50% of the dog bite stranger because they are afraid of stranger...so they do attack)

and pls dun be fool by the size. Lots of inexperience buyer like the puppy in big size and chabby...and because of that, pet shop normally over feed the puppy and make them look cute.

I can offer advice....if u need. PM me.
    My friend's Westie gave birth to 7 males puppies. He is going to keep 1.
    2 will sell to his friends.
    then the rest of 4, he will sell one to me.. so i can choose from 4 puppies lor.

My friend's Westie gave birth to 7 males puppies. He is going to keep 1.
    2 will sell to his friends.
    then the rest of 4, he will sell one to me.. so i can choose from 4 puppies lor.
    ask whether u have special privilages to be the first buyer to choose among the puppy.

always good if u can have more choices to choose from.

I'm starting to wonder, are there any australian shepard breeders here in Singapore... last i spoke to a lady, they had a club and they had to specially bring them in at certain times only.
    I would not buy any puppy if i have no chance to see/visit the puppy parents, and the breeder at all.

ask whether u have special privilages to be the first buyer to choose among the puppy.

always good if u can have more choices to choose from.
    I think this guy knew my girl just passed away. That's why allow me to choose from the 4 puppies. initially i can choose from 7 puppies.. but i drag too long.. he have 2 confirm buyer liao so no choice i can choose from 4 puppies only lor ..

I would not buy any puppy if i have no chance to see/visit the puppy parents, and the breeder at all.
    oh .. i did visit the puppies when they are 2 days old.. i am so happy and request if i can see the puppies.. they are so tiny and cute.. the father and mother westie are so sweet looking. that time the female westie look very tire. the father very active...

oh .. i did visit the puppies when they are 2 days old.. i am so happy and request if i can see the puppies.. they are so tiny and cute.. the father and mother westie are so sweet looking. that time the female westie look very tire. the father very active...
    visit and do the selection around 8 weeks should be ideal.

visit and do the selection around 8 weeks should be ideal.
    ya lor i will be choosing the puppies on 18 March.. still long way to go.
    So sian... time crawling and also worry the owner will back up

dun know should i ask if can visit the puppies when they are one mth old or not hor..

I think the owner going to vomit blood.. i got some many request
    last week i even request to see the pup pic .. gee..

Page 5 of 48 FirstFirst ... 34567101530 ... LastLast