Thread: Digging for Gold

Default Digging for Gold

Thank you for all your comments.

Digging for Gold

Arms Wide Open

This is my first try at macro. Loved the experience. wish i knew how to increase DOF

cheers

Default Re: Digging for Gold

love both pics, especially the first.

i expected a pic of someone digging his nose... ah.. never mind... pics look excellent!! to increase DOF use a smaller apperture (larger f/ number)
    Many are culled, few are chosen

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger Happy
    i expected a pic of someone digging his nose... ah.. never mind... pics look excellent!! to increase DOF use a smaller apperture (larger f/ number)
    Hahahaha...me too. Thought might have caught a taxi driving digging. Oh well.

Very nice pictures.
    I was not aware can get so close to bees, will it sting you?
    Last edited by dRebelXT; 6th February 2006 at 08:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dRebelXT
    Very nice pictures.
    I was not aware can get so close to bees, will it sting you?
    well depends.. if you dont disturb them and as long as they dont see u as a danger they wont sting but getting them into focus is the real issue.. they wont stay still..

Thanks Trigger_Happy for the tip but i tried that already.. still DOF is really shallow in macro... any other way?

what was your set up (f/ number, shutter speed, focal length etc) for the bee shot?

what was your set up (f/ number, shutter speed, focal length etc) for the bee shot?
    this shot was f8|1/320|ISO400|50mm with 25mm extention tube

for my earlier shots i was using f16.. but DOF still shallow and moreover the bees would come blur.. then i switched to f8 or f11.. had to go for such coz needed atleast 1/300 to capture bee's wings (in case they flew) and i already went up on ISO to 400.. for once i thought of pushing to f16 and ISO800 but was hesitant on image quality

it was my inexperience that i couldnt decide on the best option...im sure there couldve been a better setup.. anything you could suggest?

Thanks
    Last edited by satya; 9th February 2006 at 08:44 AM.

Love the colours in #2.

By the way, What kind of flower is that in #2?

Love both the pictures. =D
    I Love You :)

Quote Originally Posted by satya
    this shot was f8|1/320|ISO400|50mm with 25mm extention tube

for my earlier shots i was using f16.. but DOF still shallow and moreover the bees would come blur.. then i switched to f8 or f11.. had to go for such coz needed atleast 1/300 to capture bee's wings (in case they flew) and i already went up on ISO to 400.. for once i thought of pushing to f16 and ISO800 but was hesitant on image quality

it was my inexperience that i couldnt decide on the best option...im sure there couldve been a better setup.. anything you could suggest?

Thanks
    i'm not sure about extension tubes, but you'd probably be down a stop or two - try without it (but yah, it'll mean getting closer to the bees!) ISO800 is still ok, you should get noise only at 1600. if flaring or overexposure is an issue in daylight, the lens hood will come in handy. most of us often shoot without it that we sometimes forget we have that in tha bag the other best thing to do is to use a longer lens then you won't have to compromise so much and compensate for the proximity. i've shot a 1cm-long grasshopper with my 70-300mm telephoto (with macro function turned on) from about 3 feet, no problem with that, except i forgot (yes!) to reduce the apperture.... doh!

nice pix..may I know wat cam u using ?

Quote Originally Posted by satya
    well depends.. if you dont disturb them and as long as they dont see u as a danger they wont sting but getting them into focus is the real issue.. they wont stay still..

Thanks Trigger_Happy for the tip but i tried that already.. still DOF is really shallow in macro... any other way?

If a bee at the 2nd pic, that will be perfect.. nice colour

Thumbs up Re: Digging for Gold

i'm not sure about extension tubes, but you'd probably be down a stop or two - try without it (but yah, it'll mean getting closer to the bees!) ISO800 is still ok, you should get noise only at 1600. if flaring or overexposure is an issue in daylight, the lens hood will come in handy. most of us often shoot without it that we sometimes forget we have that in tha bag the other best thing to do is to use a longer lens then you won't have to compromise so much and compensate for the proximity. i've shot a 1cm-long grasshopper with my 70-300mm telephoto (with macro function turned on) from about 3 feet, no problem with that, except i forgot (yes!) to reduce the apperture.... doh!
    Thanks for the suggestions Trigger_Happy... greatly appreciated ...was talking to my commitee yesterday before our usual meeting... they suggested me to try the extension tube with other lenses as well.. and get the 105mm macro lens if i could.. and like u suggested getting close to the subject is not always possible ...im only worried about "shake" if i used telephoto with my extention.. i guess then every shot would need a tripod.... also would using a telephoto+extension further decrease my DOF?
    This macro shoot i did was really a good learning experience. Thanks again for all ur guidance

Thank you everyone for your comments and encouragement..
    and Meow_Meow... i use a D70

i really love the colour one the second one! Very contrasting! First one nice also. Just the pixelation too compressed already, doesnt judge the real picture.