Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Flash for 2100

  1. #1
    Moderator sebastiansong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,556
    Blog Entries
    17

    Default Flash for 2100

    Hi Everyone

    need some advice here

    I am considering getting a flash bracket and a flash for my 2100.

    I am wondering if anyone has already done it and could provide me with some advice on what to get and especially what to be aware of. Should I get a manual or auto flash?

    any comment would be most welcome. Many thnx.

  2. #2

    Default

    The only flash light that works with C2100 is the Olympus FL-40 .
    You will also need and one special cable from Olympus ..

    If you will not pass out from the price of it , then everything is fine .

    If you do pass out , then you will live at the dark as all the C2100 owners .
    Personally i do not mind to not have external flash .
    By the way , there is no other alternatives that they will cooperate with the camera at the max , as the FL-40.
    Olympus C2100 X3 - E100RS - C220
    IS/L lenses ALL :-D

  3. #3
    Moderator sebastiansong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,556
    Blog Entries
    17

    Default

    Hi Syncmaster

    appreciate the prompt response...

    just I will just live in the dark and try to maximise on ISO settings and learn to live with the built in flash as much as possible.

    no pt spending another 400? 500? bucks just to get this option

  4. #4
    Midnight
    Guests

    Default Re: Flash for 2100

    It's not true that the FL-40 is the only external flashgun that works with the C-2100UZ. It is just the only flash that works in full TTL mode with this camera (and in fact this is not entirely true either, as there are Metz and Promaster flashes that work as well).

    Sebastian, you will definitely want to consider the Vivitar 285HV, which is perhaps the most commonly recommended and highly regarded generic auto flash out there. It doesn't work TTL with your Olympus digicam, but I personally don't feel that that's a particularly great loss. I myself usually use a Sunpak 383 (whose performance characteristics are pretty similar to the Vivitar unit) with this camera and have found it adequate for just about all the photographic situations I deal with.

    I believe a Vivitar 285HV costs about S$130 or so if you buy a new unit. However, you will also have to get the Olympus FL-CB04 cable to connect your camera to the flash's PC sync connector, and this cable itself will cost a fairly substantial amount of money.

  5. #5
    Moderator sebastiansong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,556
    Blog Entries
    17

    Default Re: Re: Flash for 2100

    Originally posted by Midnight
    I believe a Vivitar 285HV costs about S$130 or so if you buy a new unit. However, you will also have to get the Olympus FL-CB04 cable to connect your camera to the flash's PC sync connector, and this cable itself will cost a fairly substantial amount of money.
    Hi Midnight

    thnx for the advice

    I assume if I get the Vivitar and the cable and flash bracket (any L-shape type would do right?), I am all set right?

    so I gather that the 2100 does not accept manual flash?

  6. #6
    Midnight
    Guests

    Default Re: Re: Re: Flash for 2100

    Originally posted by sebastiansong
    I assume if I get the Vivitar and the cable and flash bracket (any L-shape type would do right?), I am all set right?
    Yes, you're right. Btw the flash bracket doesn't have to be of the L-shaped variety; those will give you side-lit photos whereas some people prefer to keep the flash mounted directly over the lens for frontal lighting. (Personally, I like to handhold the flashgun for maximum flexibility, especially since the digicam is so light. )

    so I gather that the 2100 does not accept manual flash?
    That's not true. You can definitely use a manual flash with the C-2100UZ as long as it can be triggered (either by PC sync cable or by slave triggering). However, manual flashes can be a little cumbersome to use, so an auto flash (i.e. one equipped with its own lightmeter) will probably be more convenient in general. Most good auto flashguns will also allow you to use them in full manual mode anyway. (Btw, do note that "auto" flashes aren't the same as TTL; in the case of the former, you'll still need to set your flash to match your camera exposure settings.)

  7. #7
    Moderator sebastiansong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,556
    Blog Entries
    17

    Default

    Just wondering if any folks have tried using Suntax 328 AZ Auto Flash cos a friend of mine has passed it to me or shd I just get the Vivatar?

    many thnx in advance

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    L2TPYSG
    Posts
    4,057

    Default

    ok
    detailed setup:

    c2100z connected to cb04 cable

    cb04 connected to pc sync cable

    pc sync connected to flash with pc sync socket.
    =============================================
    Flash auto or manual will not concern the camera. camera just FIRES the flash.

    Auto means the flash has its own sensor to judge light conditions.
    Manual means u set the flash brightness urself.
    ============================================
    bracket is just to hold the flash to the camera lor...

    can?
    "I'm... dreaming... of a wide... angle~
    Just like the ones I used to know~"

  9. #9

    Default



    * togu bought his Vivitar 285 at $150


    The FL-40 will cost $660, at CP. That's why I decided to use Vivitar. Beside the manual settings and the size, it's definitely a good flash to use.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    L2TPYSG
    Posts
    4,057

    Default

    oh I just realised... the pc sync part right... u can get the pc sync to hotshoe cable instead, then can use any flash with standard hotshoe foot..
    "I'm... dreaming... of a wide... angle~
    Just like the ones I used to know~"

  11. #11

    Default

    The point is not just to find a way to make the flash to fire , the point is the results to be good enough or perfect ..

    And so far i have not see any worthy samples than any one who uses alternative solutions ..
    Most of the times the red eye is visible in all close ups , so i guess that is not what i call as solution ..

    Better than nothing !! Well i believe in.. All or nothing !!

    Not that the FL-40 is the perfect flash , actually for some is not powerful enough , but for generic use i will say that it works better than any other with the Olympus cameras ..
    ( i am always interested for one second hand , and i believe that i will find one soon ) ..
    Olympus C2100 X3 - E100RS - C220
    IS/L lenses ALL :-D

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    L2TPYSG
    Posts
    4,057

    Default

    Originally posted by syncmaster
    The point is not just to find a way to make the flash to fire , the point is the results to be good enough or perfect ..

    And so far i have not see any worthy samples than any one who uses alternative solutions ..
    Most of the times the red eye is visible in all close ups , so i guess that is not what i call as solution ..

    Better than nothing !! Well i believe in.. All or nothing !!

    Not that the FL-40 is the perfect flash , actually for some is not powerful enough , but for generic use i will say that it works better than any other with the Olympus cameras ..
    ( i am always interested for one second hand , and i believe that i will find one soon ) ..
    erm just get ur fl40 then...
    for a digicam user the advantage is to be able to experiment like crazy. even pro systems metering is sometimes off. shoot, learn, remember. if not even willing to do that... sigh... of course u shd learn b4 the job not doing the job...
    "I'm... dreaming... of a wide... angle~
    Just like the ones I used to know~"

  13. #13

    Default

    the advantage is to be able to experiment like crazy
    Yes i am on your side on that , do all the experiments on your own camera , and if it survives from your test , i will then try the same as you did .. hahahaha

    This is what the most do , no one takes the risk to burn out his camera because of one incompatible flash or wrong wiring ..
    Olympus C2100 X3 - E100RS - C220
    IS/L lenses ALL :-D

  14. #14

    Default

    Originally posted by sebastiansong
    Just wondering if any folks have tried using Suntax 328 AZ Auto Flash cos a friend of mine has passed it to me or shd I just get the Vivatar?

    many thnx in advance
    Forget about the suntax 328 flash. most of them(regardless if its AZ, TZ or watever ****) won't work with the olympus digital camera. MS color and I had a hard time trying to get it to work with my C2100 the last time but still it won't work. In the end, I ended up buying a achiever 828 flash and that work fine with the olympus c2100 and me coz the GN of the flash covers what I normally use the camera for (going into workshop and taking pictures of ship's cranks and gear shaft and etc for my dad)

  15. #15

    Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Flash for 2100

    Originally posted by Midnight
    Yes, you're right. Btw the flash bracket doesn't have to be of the L-shaped variety; those will give you side-lit photos whereas some people prefer to keep the flash mounted directly over the lens for frontal lighting. (Personally, I like to handhold the flashgun for maximum flexibility, especially since the digicam is so light. )
    Hi Midnight,

    Just need to check, u mean that besides the L-shaped bracket (tat is to the left), is there a bracket that I can fit to my Oly cam (C2040Z) to make the flash on the top of the cam?

    Thanks first

  16. #16
    Midnight
    Guests

    Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Flash for 2100

    Originally posted by Blitz
    Hi Midnight,
    Just need to check, u mean that besides the L-shaped bracket (tat is to the left), is there a bracket that I can fit to my Oly cam (C2040Z) to make the flash on the top of the cam?
    Thanks first
    I was thinking of something along the lines of the popular Stroboframe Quick Flip 350.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •